Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TWP at POE (Vancouver), how it went down.

TWP at POE (Vancouver), how it went down.

Old Feb 22nd 2013, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough
Default TWP at POE (Vancouver), how it went down.

We arrived in Vancouver middle of last week. Been meaning to post this ever since, but had quite a bit to do.

On arrival at customs we got shown to a separate line for immigration / work permits, so we avoided the long lines at the passport checks There were two immigration officers manning the desk and we were about fourth in line.

After a 30-40 minute wait we handed over my partners LMO and job offer letter. And ten minutes later we both had work permits (me an open spousal one). They didn't ask for any proof of our relationship - we're not married. That was the most surprising part.

Anyway, we had tons of stuff with us, and the only thing they needed was LMO and job offer.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:56 am
British European at heart

Arewemad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TWP at POE (Vancouver), how it went down.

We had a similar experience getting our study permit and SOWP a few weeks ago!! We had to wait longer with our toddler (fun after a long flight!!) but it was so easy. I had been panicking the day before we left the UK making sure we had everything with us!!

How is Vancouver for you so far? Where are you living?

Good luck, we love it and never want to leave!!
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough

I was thinking about posting about our first 10 days. In general I think it's been pretty positive - we're in East Vancouver, close to Commerical Drive.

So far so good I think. Tending to get frequent blasts of culture shock, but think that's pretty normal. I'm not particularly impressed with the city / urban side of things (compared to other North American cities), but the scenary is beautiful, and it's the proximity of all that, that made the city appealing in the first instance. Just got to give it time and get out there and see some of it.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 8:32 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to "The Hood"
Old Feb 25th 2013, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

cheers. liking it so far.