TWP at POE

Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Boris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond repute
Default TWP at POE

Hello

Thought I'd just put a quick post to relate our experience of applying for our work permits at POE (Ottawa airport).

My partner had his LMO and just had to present that with a copy of his job contract which they just glanced at. For my open work permit, they just asked how long we had been living together. And that was that. I didn't even have to produce the docs I had gathered together to prove how long we had been together.

Re the LMO. This initially took two weeks for the first reply saying the employer had to advertise. After that period, it took about another three weeks to get a positive LMO. However, despite the fact that the job is permanent and the employer put 5 years + in the section for duration, they only granted a one year permit.

Now for the PR application ...
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:17 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TWP at POE

The government have made a concerted effort to ensue that "Temporary Work Permits" are in fact now temporary. One or two years is now the norm, and they will only renew them a couple of times now too, so getting on with PR is a good idea!
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Alanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant futureAlanandson has a brilliant future

There are new rules coming in around April 2011 that restricts the amount of time you can stay and work on a TWP to 4 years. After such time, it appears you have to leave for a period of time before returning on a TWP again.

A friend of mine back in 2007 who applied for a TWP at PoE got asked how long he wanted his permit for, he replied '3 years' and they did just that.

In April 2009 I arrived on a TWP and got 2 years. I guess I may only get 1 year this renewal (April 2011).
Old Oct 8th 2010, 1:13 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Check the wording on the LMO, if it advises you to apply for provincial nomination do that as soon as you are eligible. If you have provincial nomination, it supports your PR application and negates the need for your employer to redo the LMO if you have to extend your TWP before PR is processed.