TWP Extensions at Border

Old Oct 30th 2012, 1:18 am
Just Joined

RossFulton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TWP Extensions at Border

Hi

I've heard that TWP extensions will no longer be processed at border crossings or entry ports (airports etc). Are people finding this to be true or has anyone had their work permit extended by applying at the border?

(I'm a BC PNP that needs to apply for an extension but isn't confident that the application will be processed before I need to leave the country for a trip...if it isn't processed in time I would be under implied status.)

Thanks

Ross
Old Oct 30th 2012, 1:54 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TWP Extensions at Border

Hi

Originally Posted by RossFulton
Hi

I've heard that TWP extensions will no longer be processed at border crossings or entry ports (airports etc). Are people finding this to be true or has anyone had their work permit extended by applying at the border?

(I'm a BC PNP that needs to apply for an extension but isn't confident that the application will be processed before I need to leave the country for a trip...if it isn't processed in time I would be under implied status.)

Thanks

Ross
1. Not as far as I know.
2. By the way if you leave Canada, you no longer have implied status, and can't continue to work when you return. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2008/ob087.asp

Current Policy

TFWs who have applied to extend a WP with the same employer have implied status from the date the application is received at CPC-V and can continue to work at their existing place of employment as long as they remain in Canada.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

firstchoice is an unknown quantity at this point

For the BC PNP you are expected to have a work permit support letter when you apply for an extension. You can ask your Case Officer to send it to the POE and CPC Vegreville. That way if you have to leave the country before your extension comes through, and your existing work permit has expired, you can apply at the POE for a new work permit. It is advisable in the latter case to carry proof that you applied for an extension of your WP before you left, to demonstrate you did not overstay.

Last edited by firstchoice; Oct 30th 2012 at 2:30 am.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Extensions are still being done at land border POEs and airports providing you are seeking entry. Airports will normally not extend TWPs if you have not left Canada as you are already in Canada.