TWP application

Old Feb 2nd 2016, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

unique at last is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TWP application

My husband has an LMIA and a job offer in New Brunswick. He's due to fly out on 10th April. We're trying to decide whether to apply for the TWP from the UK to get a pre-approval letter that (according to the wiki) almost guarantees him the TWP when he lands or whether to just wait and do it at the point of entry.

Any one with any experience? Any way less stressful than the other? The processing time appears to be 1 month from London and we've 2 months until he goes.

He's also looking for an idiot-proof list of what documents he needs to have in his hand when he lands.

Many thanks for any adivce.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TWP application

As long as he has the positive LMIA then getting the TWP is easier in my opinion.
Pays $155 and shows the LMIA and work contract and thats it.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

As FL says if you have a positive LMIA just do it at Port of Entry.

Show paper work, pay $155 walk out of airport with work permit.

I did a similar thing in November last year (albeit an LMIA exempt work permit). At the time I raised this with the immigration firms handling my case (the company was paying) and they said that to apply at the High Commission when you can apply at the border can be a red flag i.e. why wait months for an answers rather than instantly? You also give the staff at the HC more time to dig through the application, CIC agents at the border don't have that much time.

If your still worried, and don't want to completely sever ties before going, get your husband to do a fact-finding-trip for a few days then return to UK and sort out the final move moving the work permit is in place. In these few days he could have his SIN number and set up the bank account.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

We got it at point of entry.

Was terrified of not being granted it and something going wrong but it was really smooth. They aren't there to catch you out or make life harder.

The only thing that went wrong for us was the lady printing it as if my husband was a woman. She apologized and said she'd pulled a double shift