Trying to get a Canadian passport

Old Jul 7th 2016, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trying to get a Canadian passport

I have dual nationality (uk/Canadian). I am trying to apply for a Canadian passport in anticipation of the eta deadline but have come across quite a saga and would appreciate any advice and suggestions anyone can offer.

I filled in the form. Don't have a guarantor so used the additional form, saw a notary and had all documents certified to verify my identify and forms completed as required

Went to passport office and they won't process the application because my 4 references (2for passport and 2 for no guarantor form) are not from North America. I have lived here for 6 months, I can't provide any references from North America who have known me for 2 years because I haven't been here long enough.

There is no mention of references being in North America on any documentation, it mentions that to avoid delay they should be in the same time zone which I took as an advisory not requirement as its written underneath as an add on.

So, any suggestions? What can I do?
Old Jul 7th 2016, 1:48 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trying to get a Canadian passport

Agh how annoying!

Quick question - was it the form PPTC 132 you got notarised?

Completing the adult passport application

I'm wondering if it would be possible for you to make an application from 'outside' Canada... if says "if you happen to be in Canada..."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passpor.../apply-how.asp (Select 'outside Canada / US' on dropdown)

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 7th 2016 at 1:51 am.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Agh how annoying!

Quick question - was it the form PPTC 132 you got notarised?

Completing the adult passport application
Yes, that's the one. (The fact that I had to explain to the staff at the passport office what that form was should have been a clue as to the ability to process non-standard applications).

The problem with applying from outside the uk but whilst inside is it still comes under the same time zone issue which they won't compromise on. It's also a different form and price which will upset them even more.

It's a good plan though - Indo wonder if I just went and queued again and argued the lack of official guidance on their rule.

I am wondering whether to contact the passport agency head office directly from their webpage for further guidance as it certainly feels like a local office issue.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 4:43 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bert07
Yes, that's the one. (The fact that I had to explain to the staff at the passport office what that form was should have been a clue as to the ability to process non-standard applications).

The problem with applying from outside the uk but whilst inside is it still comes under the same time zone issue which they won't compromise on. It's also a different form and price which will upset them even more.

It's a good plan though - Indo wonder if I just went and queued again and argued the lack of official guidance on their rule.

I am wondering whether to contact the passport agency head office directly from their webpage for further guidance as it certainly feels like a local office issue.
Send it by mail perhaps? I do think it's a local office issue, it appears the person you saw hadn't come across this before.

Old Jul 7th 2016, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

I was trying to avoid that because of the postal strike but going to have to bite the bullet and risk the documents and fedex it.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond repute

oh man, looks like as dual citizens we got the bum end of the deal on this ETA thing
Old Jul 18th 2016, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Thought I would update my saga!

They finally decided I should provide 2 reference of people I have known in Canada since I moved here (so 6 months).

We jollied on back to the passport office with this information. And they then decided I needed 4 people.

How, I didn't flip my lid at this point I don't know, but it's going down on my list of lifetime achievements.
I very clearly complained that this wasn't ok, no infor on the passport webpage or documentation to say any of this - they responded with "well aren't you psychic?"....somehow I managed a smile!

So, then they decided my 2 references from Canada were ok. And they would ask the consulate in London to contact my other references on their behalf!!!

So, after all that, they decided to do what they were meant to do 2 weeks ago. I am going round on an infinite circle with someone smacking my head on a brick wall repeatedly!

I was rather amused, at this point for them to put my document records into their system, see that they have the correct copies on file, and then scan the original to keep a copy on file with the application! This whole saga took close to 2 hours, the youngest was screaming with hunger, the middle had wet himself and the eldest was desperate for the toilet and I swear I had the slowest person ever typing details into the computer. It was not a pleasant experience.

However, the applications have made it out of Edmonton and gone to be processed at least.....now to see how long the London office take to do their bit.....and then for it to be processed!
I'm not holding hope for anytime soon