Travel outside Canada after AIP??

Old Aug 22nd 2001, 3:35 pm
Neal Bhatt

Hello,

I am a Canadian Citizen and live in Canada with my wife. She is a US citizen and has
been here on an Employment Authorisation which expires Sept 17th, 2001. We sent in
the Inland Spouse sponsorship kit and application for an "open" employment
authorisation on July 9th of this year. Her medicals will be done this week.
Therefore, we expect that she will receive her AIP and work authorisation by the
first week of October or so.

We'd like to plan a vacation (most likely a cruise) in the upcoming months.
Obviously, we'll wait for her to receive the AIP in early October before
making plans.

Will she have a problem coming back into Canada at the end of our cruise?? I know
that an "inland" application says she basically can't leave the country until it's
complete, but does the AIP allow her to travel this one time or is she stuck here
until the whole process is complete??

What should we tell the immigration folks upon reentry to Canada? I assume we'll have
to divulge the information that she has a PR application in process and show a copy
of the AIP letter if asked. Will we run into any other problems??? Would she be in
any jeapordy of either 1)having to remain outside Canada (HUGE problem!) or 2)her PR
application being refused because of this trip????

Thanks! Neal ([email protected])