Travel Document

Old Mar 23rd 2016, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Trina79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel Document

Hi I am new to this site and was wondering if anyone could answer my query.

I received PR last year after applying through the FSW in 2014. My husband and I and our two kids went out to Canada last year and activated our PR, then in February everyone received their PR cards except from me. CIC sent me a letter saying that the photos I sent back in 2014 with my FSW application were not suitable and to receive my PR card I would have to send new photos. I immediately got new photos taken and sent them to CIC the next day. That was over a month ago and I still haven't heard anything back from CIC. I have searched the CIC website for a phone number I can contact for an update but I am unable to find one.

We have flights booked to emigrate this July so I need to decide on whether or not I should apply for a travel document in case my PR card doesn't arrive on time.
Has anyone been in a similar situation and had to apply for a travel document? if so how long did the process take from applying to receiving it?

Trina
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 1:34 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Document

Even without the PR card you are still in the system; processing times at CIC can be pretty horrendous these days- I spent a year without a valid PR card, re-entering Canada once. At Pearson I was sent aside to the immigration room, the officer tapped my details in, nodded and I was through. He acknowledged that there were delays in issuing documents.

I wouldn't worry about it too much in terms of immigration.

Where it might be a pain in the but is in terms of setting up SIN numbers etc. Nearly a decade since I did that (and tbh the ex did it all back then) so can't be of much help.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 1:40 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

You could try 1-888-242-2100
IRCC Call Centre Services

It does mention only for apps submitted in Canada or online though, but could be worth a shot.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

A month doesnt seem like sufficient time for CIC to process your new photos and issue a card.

I was in the US when I got a travel document as my card had expired before the new one arrived and better safe then sorry when dealing with airlines.

From sending it in to getting passport and travel doc in it was about 10 days.

However it was processed in Los Angeles at the Canada office there, so not sure if this is a standard processing time or if other offices do it slower or differently

In the end neither the airline didnt care, but the CBSA officer hasseled me over it and not having a valid PR card.

For the record I sent my application off with plenty of time based on the then current processing time for renewals but it took CIC a very long time to send the new card.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Current processing time for a new PR card is sitting at 49 days according to their website- if you sent your photos over a month ago I would expect it to be issued pretty soon.

You don't say where you are currently located - you would obviously need to add in postage time, but when we got ours it was less than a week from the issue date to us receiving them (we are in Canada though).

I know it is extremely stressful when you have no control over the situation and have made plans depending on it (we had the same issue).
Hopefully you get the card very soon.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you expecting your new PR card to be mailed to?

Will I get my permanent resident card by mail?

S
Old Mar 24th 2016, 6:29 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all of the replies! I realise that CIC have long processing times so I have decided to wait for another couple of weeks. If I still havent received my card by mid April then I will apply for the travel document then. I am still living in Scotland but CIC have a friends address in Canada who they would mail it to, they would then forward it on to me here in Scotland
Old Mar 25th 2016, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

well! the processing is really slow.

Request for new photo on Feb 2. (waited 4 months by then).
called cic in March and told card is posted on Feb 29. no PR card yet as of March 24...some says the mail can be up to 6 weeks....really madness!!
best of luck with your new PR card!
Old Mar 29th 2016, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Let me know Hasan78 when you receive your PR card. You sent your photos back the week before me so we should hopefully receive them around the same time. Are you in Canada or still in the UK? If you are in the UK could you send me the number for CIC that you phoned.

Trina
Old Mar 29th 2016, 7:31 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trina79
Let me know Hasan78 when you receive your PR card. You sent your photos back the week before me so we should hopefully receive them around the same time. Are you in Canada or still in the UK? If you are in the UK could you send me the number for CIC that you phoned.

Trina
He's in Canada (you can see where he is under his username)