Tourist Visa Question

Old Sep 25th 2008, 11:09 am
Just Joined

buzzz56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tourist Visa Question

I understand you can stay for up to 6 months, however do you need to prove you have a return flight arranged?

Also is the 6 months classed as any one stay or is it during a 12 month period, in other words if you leave the country during the 6 months and return does it revert to the original expiry date?

Thanks

Buzz
Old Sep 25th 2008, 12:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tourist Visa Question

Originally Posted by buzzz56
I understand you can stay for up to 6 months, however do you need to prove you have a return flight arranged?

Also is the 6 months classed as any one stay or is it during a 12 month period, in other words if you leave the country during the 6 months and return does it revert to the original expiry date?

Thanks

Buzz

I'm not 100% sure but think that you do have to show a return ticket to immigration officers in some instances, plus other proof of ties to the UK (i.e. a job you'll be returning to, a mortgage, etc) - obviously the whole point of the tourist visa is that you are just there visiting so you need to be able to show that that is your only intention whilst there.

Two things that might help though - one is that it's often cheaper (bizarrely) to buy a return flight so bear that in mind, and also that a lot of airlines will refuse to take you without a return ticket.

So probably worth buying one anyway! If you're not sure yet when you will be returning home or from which location then just make sure that you buy a flexible ticket that you can have changed if necessary.

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm not 100% sure but think that you do have to show a return ticket to immigration officers in some instances, plus other proof of ties to the UK (i.e. a job you'll be returning to, a mortgage, etc) - obviously the whole point of the tourist visa is that you are just there visiting so you need to be able to show that that is your only intention whilst there.

Two things that might help though - one is that it's often cheaper (bizarrely) to buy a return flight so bear that in mind, and also that a lot of airlines will refuse to take you without a return ticket.

So probably worth buying one anyway! If you're not sure yet when you will be returning home or from which location then just make sure that you buy a flexible ticket that you can have changed if necessary.

Hope that helps.
Yes good point about the flexi ticket as I will not know when during the 6 months I will need to return. I will have no probs convincing them that I have roots in UK
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

drwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nice

We originally came over last year as tourists. At immigration we had our return flights (6 months later) & copies of funds to support ourselves. This (in our case) was sufficient for a 6 month entry period. Now part way through my other half had to return to the UK for a family matter for 2 weeks. When she flew back once she showed the return ticket and funds she was stamped with a new 6 month period.

So that is what can happen but as we all know it is down to the discretion of the individual agent.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I take UK visitors over the border to the US and back pretty regularly, none of them has got a new stamp on entry, they've just been readmitted under their initial admission. I don't just mean day trips either, some have been gone a few weeks. Given Dr Woodsy's experience, it could be a land/air difference though... I'm not sure.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys, all good info and duly entered into my "big file"
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:05 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I take UK visitors over the border to the US and back pretty regularly, none of them has got a new stamp on entry, they've just been readmitted under their initial admission. I don't just mean day trips either, some have been gone a few weeks. Given Dr Woodsy's experience, it could be a land/air difference though... I'm not sure.
No difference between air and land. Visitors to Canada who visit US or St. Pierre and Miquelon and return to Canada within validity of their original admission are being re-admitted for the remaining duration of that original admission. This is why no new admission stamp in the passport is given.

Same with visitors to US who visit Canada or Mexico for up to 30 days - if their I-94 is still valid upon return to US they are re-admitted for the remainder of original admission, they are not getting any new admission.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Sep 26th 2008 at 11:23 am. Reason: mistakenly wrote Mexico instead of St. Pierre and Miquelon
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
No difference between air and land. Visitors to Canada who visit US or Mexico for up to 30 days and return to Canada within validity of their original admission are being re-admitted for the remaining duration of that original admission. This is why no new admission stamp in the passport is given.
So why did I get one when I re-entered within the timeframe 2 years ago?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:23 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know. Did you go only to US or St. Pierre and Miquelon without leaving North America?

And did you get just a stamp or was a new admission expiration date written next to it?

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Sep 26th 2008 at 11:26 am.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
I don't know. Did you go only to US or St. Pierre and Miquelon without leaving North America?
That might be it. I left North America.

Thanks, that clears things up.