Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Tourist Visa Extension - Letter of Explanation

Tourist Visa Extension - Letter of Explanation

Old Sep 2nd 2013, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

paolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tourist Visa Extension - Letter of Explanation

I have a quick query regarding my extension request for an extended tourist visa.

There is an option for a 'letter of explanation' where you can qualify and clarify the reasons why you wish to stay.

I work for myself, and work on the internet, where my income comes from people advertising on my websites. I work on this most days, from home, and wherever I was in the world, vacationing or otherwise, I would do this. I only work a couple of hours each day.

I want to be clear about how I am supporting myself, and technically, I am working, although my bank, work and pay is all UK based and nothing to do with Canada, although clearly I am in Canada.

I am not sure what to write on my letter of explanation. Should I also record that the reason I wish to extend my stay is that I have met a lady and that we want to stay together until the point she decides what she is doing (her going to UK or me staying in Canada, either option suits me fine but would choose Canada given the option)

Is there anything to be sure to include, or avoid on the Letter of Explanation when applying for the tourist visa extension?
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

paolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tourist Visa Extension - Letter of Explanation

Hi,

I am not really sure what to put in this letter. Is it an essay or a brief note?

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to apply to extend my Tourist Visa and stay in Canada for a further period as my circumstances have changed over the past three months.

I was scheduled to return to the United Kingdom in September or early October 2013, however, I am now in a serious relationship with a Canadian woman. My current six month Tourist Visa issued on #### 2013 at Vancouver International Airport expires on ##### 2013.

Because of the developing and serious relationship, I would be extremely grateful to be afforded the opportunity to extend my stay in Canada. My girlfriend and I have had serious discussions about the future regarding whether or not we should pursue our relationship, and we have both arrived at the conclusion that we are very serious about each other and have a commitment to each other long term.

I am in the fortunate position of being self employed and working online, so I am self sufficient and not dependant on anybody financially. I opened an RBC Canadian bank account upon arrival in Canada (to avoid UK transaction charges) and I can confirm that my bank account is in good order.

I own a car and I am correctly insured.

At this stage, my girlfriend and I are not sure whether I should apply to remain in Canada, or whether she should come with me to the UK. A Visa Extension would provide us with a grace period within which to decide the most appropriate route for our future.

My girlfriend’s details are as follows:
#####

My intention is to live with my girlfriend during the remained of my stay in Canada. I am due to leave my current address on the ###2013.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 1:12 am
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

When my IEC work permit ran out earlier this year I switched my status to visitor and included a letter similar to yours. I just outlined why I wanted to stay and provided proof of how I was going to support myself. I'm no expert but it did the trick as I got just under 8 months when my visitors record arrived.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:17 am
Just Joined

taylor26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Man , I would just not say as much about the girlfriend info.Sounds too much like you are with the girl just for PR status.not saying you are but that's how it comes across.they may frown apon that.

Can you just not say you still have travelling to do and that Canada would be a place that one day you would like to live, so you want to see more of it.

I don't know , just ease of the girlfriend material.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:23 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolob99
Hi,

I am not really sure what to put in this letter. Is it an essay or a brief note?

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to apply to extend my Tourist Visa and stay in Canada for a further period as my circumstances have changed over the past three months.

I was scheduled to return to the United Kingdom in September or early October 2013, however, I am now in a serious relationship with a Canadian woman. My current six month Tourist Visa issued on #### 2013 at Vancouver International Airport expires on ##### 2013.

Because of the developing and serious relationship, I would be extremely grateful to be afforded the opportunity to extend my stay in Canada. My girlfriend and I have had serious discussions about the future regarding whether or not we should pursue our relationship, and we have both arrived at the conclusion that we are very serious about each other and have a commitment to each other long term.

I am in the fortunate position of being self employed and working online, so I am self sufficient and not dependant on anybody financially. I opened an RBC Canadian bank account upon arrival in Canada (to avoid UK transaction charges) and I can confirm that my bank account is in good order.

I own a car and I am correctly insured.

At this stage, my girlfriend and I are not sure whether I should apply to remain in Canada, or whether she should come with me to the UK. A Visa Extension would provide us with a grace period within which to decide the most appropriate route for our future.

My girlfriend’s details are as follows:
#####

My intention is to live with my girlfriend during the remained of my stay in Canada. I am due to leave my current address on the ###2013.
Sounds good to me!

I would make sure that you state that your business, whilst online, is registered in the UK and that the income from your business originates in the UK/Europe and is paid into your Bank UK account. That way, it won't be assumed that you are self employed in Canada and being paid into your bank account in Canada .. which could require a work permit and also have tax implications

Better to be exact and specific and leave no room for interpretation!

You also need to show proof that you have sufficient funds in the UK/Canada banks rather than just stating that you have - a bank statement from either or both would be sufficient.

You should also state that you understand that if your application is turned down you will be required to leave Canada and that you have either a flight booked (show a copy of the ticket or similar) or else sufficient funds to pay for one.

Here's another way of ensuring you can stay, regardless, for 3+ extra months - send in the application by mail rather than online and you will be on implied status until you receive a decision by CIC. The current processing time for paper applications is 101 days (working days, not calendar days). The only downside to this is if you leave the country, you will no longer be on implied status. You must ensure that the application is received by CIC prior to your current visitor stamp expiring.

Originally Posted by taylor26
Man , I would just not say as much about the girlfriend info.Sounds too much like you are with the girl just for PR status.not saying you are but that's how it comes across.they may frown apon that.

Can you just not say you still have travelling to do and that Canada would be a place that one day you would like to live, so you want to see more of it.

I don't know , just ease of the girlfriend material.
I disagree completely. You should always be honest and upfront with CIC.

If he does not mention his girlfriend and then suddenly puts in an application for PR based on a spousal sponsorship that would look very odd and bring up red flags!

I told CIC a very similar thing when I first met my husband and wanted to extend - I received a 1 year visitor extension.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 4th 2013 at 5:05 am. Reason: Added the part regarding paper submission
Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:35 am
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I disagree completely. You should always be honest and upfront with CIC.

If he does not mention his girlfriend and then suddenly puts in an application for PR based on a spousal sponsorship that would look very odd and bring up red flags!

I told CIC a very similar thing when I first met my husband and wanted to extend - I received a 1 year visitor extension.
I'm with Siouxie, I told the CIC about my boyfriend and our every intention to put in an application for PR down the line.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 11:44 am
Just Joined

taylor26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok that's fair enough, point taken.maybe it just sounded a little to romantic for me haha.

Paolo , listen to the ladies, they will steer you in the right direction.

Love and hugs x

Taylor26
Old Sep 8th 2013, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Hello again and thanks for the kind words and advice.

I have posted my application for the visa extension.

I have a query though. My visa expires on 9th October.

My application by express delivery will not arrive at the offices in alberta until 10th september.

Is this going to be a serious problem?

Should I re-submit online?
Old Sep 8th 2013, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolob99
Hello again and thanks for the kind words and advice.

I have posted my application for the visa extension.

I have a query though. My visa expires on 9th October.

My application by express delivery will not arrive at the offices in alberta until 10th september.

Is this going to be a serious problem?

Should I re-submit online?
No as long as they receive it before the expiry date you will be on Implied Status until a decision is made and they notify you of the result positive/negative decision.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks very much for the reply.