Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Tourist, can I stay/ work and become a PR?

Tourist, can I stay/ work and become a PR?

Old Apr 29th 2001, 8:06 pm
DaFunkyMan

Any help appreciated in advance.

Can I go to BC / Canada as a tourist, and apply for an immigration visa, get a job,
and one day become a citizen? If so how long will it take and what do I have to do?
Do I just apply for a National Insurrance Number, then get a job? I don't want to go
back to UK and apply from there.

Current Status: Travelling the world with girlfriend / fiancé Have no fixed address
British Citizen Computer Programmer

Old Apr 30th 2001, 4:36 pm
Ber Lazarus

Hi,

You can come to Canada as a tourist and you can submit an application for Permanent
Residence to a visa office outside Canada whether in the USA (Buffalo) or any other
Canadian Visa Office overseas. You must remain in status at all times. You cannot
apply for a National Insurance number and then get a job. You must apply for an
Employment Authorization to a visa office outside Canada. However, it is quite
possible that your Employment Authorization would be turned down as the Visa officer
might well suspect that your real intention is to be an immigrant and not to leave
once your Temporary Employment has ended.

Ber Lazarus conseiller immigration counsellor Montréal, QC Tél: 514 992-1567 Fax: 514
277-4729 E-maill: [email protected]

DaFunkyMan wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 1st 2001, 2:52 am
ACDone

1) You may enter Canada as a tourist, but your application for perm. residence will
have to be submitted through visa office outside Canada. Many people do this
through the US while they are in Canada.

2) As a visitor you may not work, nor are you able to simply apply for a Social
Insurance Number. This can only be done after you have "landed".

3) The timeframe for processing an application varies greatly depending on where you
apply from, your qualifications, whether you will be required to attend an
interview, how long it takes you to get the necessary documents (police
clearances, medicals, work letters blah, blah).

For complete information visit the Government of Canada's website www.cic.gc.ca for
complete information on applying as an independant.

Good luck.

Old May 10th 2001, 5:18 pm
Kay Carbe

Strictly speaking the point (2) is not quite correct.

In certain circumstances a SIN may be issued BEFORE landed status
i.e. I am being sponsored from within Canada by my husband and I applied months ago
for a SIN in order to claim Canada Child Tax Credit (like the UK Child Benefit).
I was allowed to do this as I am here on a Ministers Permit. It took 2 weeks to
arrive and is a temporary one until I am landed in which case I will get a
permanent SIN. This temporary SIN now enables me to work as I have an Employment
Authorization. And I am still not landed, just waiting for a background check to
be completed.

I wanted to point this out as it may be of use to others.

>
residence
    >
do
    >
    >
    >
Social
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
www.cic.gc.ca
    >
    >
    >

Old May 10th 2001, 6:18 pm
Ashley Watson

Hi

I may as well add my tuppence worth to this point

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
UK
    >
Permit.
    >
which
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Yes that is quite correct, but as you stated, you were admited to Canada on a
Ministers Permit, not on a Visitors Permit.

ACDome stated that:

[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 2) As a visitor you may not work, nor are you able to simply apply for a[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Insurance Number. This can only be done after you have "landed".[/usenetquote2]
In other words he was talking about Visitor Status,

From what I understand there are several circumstances when you can apply for a SIN,
Temporary Employment Authorisation, Ministers Permit, etc.

If you change or apply for visa status to one of those catagoiries then you can apply
for a SIN, but you cannot apply for a SIN when you hold Visitor Status.

Please correct me if Im wrong.

Ashley Watson

Old May 10th 2001, 11:38 pm
Jim Humphries

Let us be clear you are no longer a visitor, but the holder of a Minister's Permit
pending your application to become a permanent resident. Jim Humphries, former
visa officer

Kay Carbe wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > 1) You may enter Canada as a tourist, but your application for perm.[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > will have to be submitted through visa office outside Canada. Many people[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > this through the US while they are in Canada.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 2) As a visitor you may not work, nor are you able to simply apply for a[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Insurance Number. This can only be done after you have "landed".[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 3) The timeframe for processing an application varies greatly depending on where[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > you apply from, your qualifications, whether you will be required to attend an[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > interview, how long it takes you to get the necessary documents (police[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > clearances, medicals, work letters blah, blah).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > For complete information visit the Government of Canada's website[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > for complete information on applying as an independant.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Good luck.[/usenetquote2]

Old May 11th 2001, 2:54 pm
Kay Carbe

Of course I am not a visitor.......... I never said anywhere that I was.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Strictly speaking the point (2) is not quite correct.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > In certain circumstances a SIN may be issued BEFORE landed status[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > i.e. I am being sponsored from within Canada by my husband and I applied months[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ago for a SIN in order to claim Canada Child Tax Credit (like the[/usenetquote2]
UK
[usenetquote2]> > Child Benefit). I was allowed to do this as I am here on a Ministers[/usenetquote2]
Permit.
[usenetquote2]> > It took 2 weeks to arrive and is a temporary one until I am landed in[/usenetquote2]
which
[usenetquote2]> > case I will get a permanent SIN. This temporary SIN now enables me to[/usenetquote2]
work
[usenetquote2]> > as I have an Employment Authorization. And I am still not landed, just waiting[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for a background check to be completed.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I wanted to point this out as it may be of use to others.[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > 1) You may enter Canada as a tourist, but your application for perm.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > residence[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > will have to be submitted through visa office outside Canada. Many[/usenetquote2]
people
[usenetquote2]> > do[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > this through the US while they are in Canada.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 2) As a visitor you may not work, nor are you able to simply apply for[/usenetquote2]
a
[usenetquote2]> > Social[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Insurance Number. This can only be done after you have "landed".[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > 3) The timeframe for processing an application varies greatly[/usenetquote2]
depending on
[usenetquote2]> > > where you apply from, your qualifications, whether you will be[/usenetquote2]
required to
[usenetquote2]> > > attend an interview, how long it takes you to get the necessary[/usenetquote2]
documents
[usenetquote2]> > > (police clearances, medicals, work letters blah, blah).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > For complete information visit the Government of Canada's website[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > www.cic.gc.ca[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > for complete information on applying as an independant.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Good luck.[/usenetquote2]

Old May 11th 2001, 6:47 pm
Jim Humphries

Well a tourist seems like a visitor to me and that was the basis of the original
question. Jim Humphries

Kay Carbe wrote:
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Let us be clear you are no longer a visitor, but the holder of a Minister's[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Permit pending your application to become a permanent resident. Jim Humphries,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > former visa officer[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Kay Carbe wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Strictly speaking the point (2) is not quite correct.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > In certain circumstances a SIN may be issued BEFORE landed status[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > i.e. I am being sponsored from within Canada by my husband and I applied months[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > ago for a SIN in order to claim Canada Child Tax Credit (like the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > Child Benefit). I was allowed to do this as I am here on a Ministers[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > It took 2 weeks to arrive and is a temporary one until I am landed in[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > case I will get a permanent SIN. This temporary SIN now enables me to[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > as I have an Employment Authorization. And I am still not landed, just waiting[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > for a background check to be completed.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I wanted to point this out as it may be of use to others.[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > > 1) You may enter Canada as a tourist, but your application for perm.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > residence[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > will have to be submitted through visa office outside Canada. Many[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > do[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > this through the US while they are in Canada.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > 2) As a visitor you may not work, nor are you able to simply apply for[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > Social[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Insurance Number. This can only be done after you have "landed".[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > 3) The timeframe for processing an application varies greatly[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > where you apply from, your qualifications, whether you will be[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > attend an interview, how long it takes you to get the necessary[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > (police clearances, medicals, work letters blah, blah).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > For complete information visit the Government of Canada's website[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > www.cic.gc.ca[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > for complete information on applying as an independant.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Good luck.[/usenetquote2]

Old May 18th 2001, 9:26 pm
Denna

I applied for and received a temporary SIN number while holding visitor status.

>
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Strictly speaking the point (2) is not quite correct.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > In certain circumstances a SIN may be issued BEFORE landed status[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > i.e. I am being sponsored from within Canada by my husband and I applied months[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ago for a SIN in order to claim Canada Child Tax Credit (like the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Child Benefit). I was allowed to do this as I am here on a Ministers[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > It took 2 weeks to arrive and is a temporary one until I am landed in[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > case I will get a permanent SIN. This temporary SIN now enables me to[/usenetquote2]
work
[usenetquote2]> > as I have an Employment Authorization. And I am still not landed, just waiting[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for a background check to be completed.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I wanted to point this out as it may be of use to others.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
on
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > 2) As a visitor you may not work, nor are you able to simply apply for[/usenetquote2]
a
[usenetquote2]> > Social[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Insurance Number. This can only be done after you have "landed".[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
you
    >
    >
    >
    >