Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Tories toughen rules for those looking to become Canadian

Tories toughen rules for those looking to become Canadian

Old Feb 7th 2014, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tories toughen rules for those looking to become Canadian

That would make sense, and usually doesn't affect those already in the queue.

I should probably apply under the new rules....I might get it faster than the current process LOL

Originally Posted by Edo
I have heard from a few sources that the new rules will apply only to the new applications and those who come as PR once the law is passed.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 3:00 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
April 1st, 2014.
And am guessing that is no joke?

About bloody time too....
Old Feb 7th 2014, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

thedisappeared is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Edo
I have heard from a few sources that the new rules will apply only to the new applications and those who come as PR once the law is passed.
If that is the case then it would be hard to see how the current 320,000 waiting list would be cut significantly in a short space of time. Cutting numbers "a la Theresa May" appears to be the main political drive behind this proposal.

The CIC comparative view states it's currently possible to obtain citizenship with "no requirement that resident be physically present", whereas the CIC residence calculator FAQ #8 states "Only a citizenship judge can determine if you meet the residence requirements with fewer than 1,095 days of physical presence".

This exception case appears on the BBC website with other erroneous information such as the need to "wait six years to apply for Canadian citizenship instead of the current four".
Old Feb 8th 2014, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

i wonder if the new laws will help expats(working for Canadian companies) driving long distance in the USA as friends have told me its near impossible to receive Citizenship (#of days in Canada).
It seems different call centres and offices cant agree on how to deal with this problem!.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 6:09 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
i wonder if the new laws will help expats(working for Canadian companies) driving long distance in the USA as friends have told me its near impossible to receive Citizenship (#of days in Canada).
It seems different call centres and offices cant agree on how to deal with this problem!.
The current approach is once you have the amount of residence (3 years), if you are short on days present for this reason alone but have a family/home and tax residence in Canada, you could apply anyway and you'd have a good chance of approval by a citizenship judge. Processing time would probably be much longer but it can be done. Don't wast time calling the different call centres. Use CIC's policy manual, available online, as your reference.

Under the new rules, as proposed, this flexibility may well not be there any longer. The focus will be on actual, physical presence in Canada. You'll need to see the details of the final Act as passed by Parliament, to see if there are any exceptions. If not, some people may need to seek alternative employment if they want to become Canadian citizens.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the information i shall pass it on .
james
Old Feb 8th 2014, 7:15 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinzo
So basically as it stands I'm no better off for applying now.

Wait 3 years before you can apply for Cizenship, then another 2 years+ of waiting = 5 years (possibly longer!)
The new process means waiting 4 years before apply, then waiting another year for processing = 5 years

The only benefit I have is not paying as much.....which incidently I thought was $200 to apply, not $100....I'm sure I paid $200.....maybe I was diddled!

I do however think the new rules are reasonable and acceptable, especially having to stay for a minimun of 6 months per year for the 4 years to qualify.
Not sure about that. If you apply now you will know the rules. If you wait they may not be to your liking.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 4:07 pm
Photography Enthusiast

akabutter has a brilliant futureakabutter has a brilliant futureakabutter has a brilliant futureakabutter has a brilliant futureakabutter has a brilliant futureakabutter has a brilliant futureakabutter has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Those applying for citizenship must file Canadian income taxes, which is not currently a requirement.
I'm really surprised that someone who lives in Canada as a PR would not file income taxes. Is this even possible? Or is it referring to children and retirees? Even people on temporary visas have to file taxes, right?

I find these changes perfectly reasonable.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 5:07 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

We had to prove income for new PR cards so they get ya some where long the line
Old Feb 10th 2014, 6:56 pm
887 lb pumpkin

flipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura about

Can't see the point of becoming Canadian, the only benefit is the vote, like that makes any difference. Think I will stay a Brit rather than paying so much to vote.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flipance
Can't see the point of becoming Canadian, the only benefit is the vote, like that makes any difference. Think I will stay a Brit rather than paying so much to vote.
You can be a Canadian citizen and retain your UK citizenship. How much are you really saving in the long term if you continue to pay for PR card renewals? Besides, there is more to Canadian citizenship than just voting. Some other benefits of becoming a Canadian citizen:

- your children will be Canadian by descent if they are born outside Canada
- you are free of residency requirements to retain PR status
- you cannot be deported e.g. if you are convicted of a serious crime in or outside Canada
- you can apply for jobs that require Canadian citizenship
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:30 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
You can be a Canadian citizen and retain your UK citizenship. How much are you really saving in the long term if you continue to pay for PR card renewals? Besides, there is more to Canadian citizenship than just voting. Some other benefits of becoming a Canadian citizen:

- your children will be Canadian by descent if they are born outside Canada
- you are free of residency requirements to retain PR status
- you cannot be deported e.g. if you are convicted of a serious crime in or outside Canada
- you can apply for jobs that require Canadian citizenship
Indeed.

"You can never have too many passports". Wise words spoken to me once
Old Feb 11th 2014, 3:17 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flipance
My husband will get his Canadian citizenship once he qualifies - it generally makes things easier. He generally agrees, that it's just enabling him to vote (since running for office and joining the army aren't really concerns, hehe), but as a general statement it makes things easier - and not to mention that he's married to a Canadian, will have dual Canadian-Brit children, and is planning to stay in Canada permanently. Having the passport is part of that.

Finally, it keeps doors open in the future. My husband and I did long distance for a few months last year to enable me to qualify for my British citizenship. We were moving to Canada, but I was only a few weeks away from qualifying, so I stayed back. I did feel some connection to the UK - lived there for 5 years, married a Brit, andw ill have dual Canadian-Brit children. Plus, if we ever decide to move back there, it makes my life a lot easier. (I do have an EU passport anyway, but I'm not about to start placing bets on what state the EU might be in in 10 years' time or whatever.) I'm a British citizen now, will apply for my passport later this year once I have a big enough window to be without either of my other two passports.

So yeah, worth getting if you're able to get it, as long as you know all the other responsibilities that go along with it. (My husband has an American passport. That's just a headache.)
Old Feb 11th 2014, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
My husband will get his Canadian citizenship once he qualifies - it generally makes things easier. He generally agrees, that it's just enabling him to vote (since running for office and joining the army aren't really concerns, hehe),
It's not just about the vote (as I stated in an earlier post). I honestly don't understand why people have that view.

Probably the most important benefit of obtaining Canadian citizenship is securing your future in Canada. You can't be deported or refused entry. You free yourself from residency requirements to retain PR and the need to pay for PR card renewals.

For those Canadians who aren't also US citizens, it also greatly simplifies travel to the US and opens up the door to working in the US via NAFTA's TN status.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 3:37 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It's not just about the vote (as I stated in an earlier post). I honestly don't understand why people have that view.

Probably the most important benefit of obtaining Canadian citizenship is securing your future in Canada. You can't be deported or refused entry. You free yourself from residency requirements to retain PR and the need to pay for PR card renewals.

For those Canadians who aren't also US citizens, it also greatly simplifies travel to the US and opens up the door to working in the US via NAFTA's TN status.
Sorry, you are correct - I got caught up in some of the previous conversations. Yes, it makes travel and right of abode much easier. It simplifies a lot of things for him, gets rid of the residency requirement, and for a lot of things like mortgages etc it's nice to have a passport instead of just relying on PR. So yes, you are completely correct.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.