Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Aug 12th 2011, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

brighton_travel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by richard37
I just got my passport back!!

I just have one question which I have asked before but I'm not so sure about the answer now. I thought I could make an appointment to land at my local immigration office here in Nanaimo but I notice that the letter that came with my passport says 'You can not acquire permanent residence status from within Canada." Has anyone on here actually done it without flagpolling? It's pretty expensive from here to get to the States as we have to go across to the mainland first.

I hope this means everyone else waiting for their passport gets it back quickly. I sent mine off on the 19th so it's been about 3 weeks.
it really depends where you are. If you are on Vancouver Island - Plan a day trip to Seattle and back + you can go for shopping ....

if you are iin Alberta - cross the border at Sweetgrass (alberta & montana) and back.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 4:32 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by brighton_travel
it really depends where you are. If you are on Vancouver Island - Plan a day trip to Seattle and back + you can go for shopping ....

if you are iin Alberta - cross the border at Sweetgrass (alberta & montana) and back.
Just phone 1-888-242-2100 and make an appt. I actually believe that Nanaimo has a walk-in service for "landing" . Remember though, it is only if your status is valid.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

BrennaBoo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Just phone 1-888-242-2100 and make an appt. I actually believe that Nanaimo has a walk-in service for "landing" . Remember though, it is only if your status is valid.
Hi PMM - my husband has applied for a restoration - and is waiting to hear back from that....at the same time he has recieved his PPR - do you think he will have a problem landing if we flagpole once he recieves his passport back?? We submitted a paper application in may and have not heard anything yet.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 7:28 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by BrennaBoo
Hi PMM - my husband has applied for a restoration - and is waiting to hear back from that....at the same time he has recieved his PPR - do you think he will have a problem landing if we flagpole once he recieves his passport back?? We submitted a paper application in may and have not heard anything yet.

Unless he has received his restoration, CIC won't "land" him inland, so he would have to go to a port of entry. A paper application for visitor is 171 days.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

BrennaBoo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Unless he has received his restoration, CIC won't "land" him inland, so he would have to go to a port of entry. A paper application for visitor is 171 days.
Yes- thats no problem - we were going to go to the port huron/sarnia port of entry to "land". Thanks for the clarification - were going to bring all copies of our application as well - just to show the current status of the restoration.

*freaked me right out for a minute!

thanks so much pmm - so super knowledgeable!
Old Aug 12th 2011, 9:25 pm
Glory glory Man Utd.....

leggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by leggy969
I'm waiting with baited breath mandymoo......

Btw....think my passport arrived back today. The postie left a delivery notice for a letter this morning but I couldn't collect it until tomorrow. I'm not expecting any other mail so it has to be my passport!

Will update tomorrow after I've collected it....

Update from yesterdays post:

I got my passport back!!

So, the plan is next weekend we're heading off down to Vancouver, drop the kids with grandma who will take them over to Nanaimo with her, and me and wifey will be heading down for a weekend in Seattle, take in the sights, have some dinner, drink a LOT of vino.....and then Land on the way back!!

Perfect!

Oh and btw, passport took 28 days exactly from when i posted it in Kamloops, until it returned yesterday!
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

richard37 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Thanks PMM, that's really helpful.

Now if I could just get someone to pick up the 'phone at CIC, it'd be great!!!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 4:55 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leggy969
Update from yesterdays post:

I got my passport back!!

So, the plan is next weekend we're heading off down to Vancouver, drop the kids with grandma who will take them over to Nanaimo with her, and me and wifey will be heading down for a weekend in Seattle, take in the sights, have some dinner, drink a LOT of vino.....and then Land on the way back!!

Perfect!

Oh and btw, passport took 28 days exactly from when i posted it in Kamloops, until it returned yesterday!
Thats awesome, hope you and your beautiful wife have a fab weekend away!

Sorry can't stretch my talents as far as making people pick up the phone - hope you got through Richard!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

richard37 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Thats awesome, hope you and your beautiful wife have a fab weekend away!

Sorry can't stretch my talents as far as making people pick up the phone - hope you got through Richard!
Nope, they were busy all day. I'll try again on Monday. If I don't get through I'll just go down there.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

shudda is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys - it's me again, the newbie with all the questions!

Can you please help clarify the whole financial side of this?! Shane and I both live and work in the UK so we won't have an Option C. So I'm collecting all our pay stubs to send off. Is this all it takes? Do I need to show any savings or anything (because I can't!)? Also Shane can co-sign so we show that together we're able to make the $27000 or so...?

Lastly, I read somewhere something that confused me even more...do we not need any of this if we don't have any dependants? The article stated that if it's just the two of us then we don't need anything in regards to finance...?

Eiik! Thank you so much - I feel like every step is just more confusing. xx
Old Aug 14th 2011, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianTash is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shudda
Hi guys - it's me again, the newbie with all the questions!

Can you please help clarify the whole financial side of this?! Shane and I both live and work in the UK so we won't have an Option C. So I'm collecting all our pay stubs to send off. Is this all it takes? Do I need to show any savings or anything (because I can't!)? Also Shane can co-sign so we show that together we're able to make the $27000 or so...?

Lastly, I read somewhere something that confused me even more...do we not need any of this if we don't have any dependants? The article stated that if it's just the two of us then we don't need anything in regards to finance...?

Eiik! Thank you so much - I feel like every step is just more confusing. xx

I'm with you on wanting to know about the financial side of things, because how it is stated does make it seem that it is only if you have dependants. I'm the sponsor but my husband is currently the money maker in our british house and will be the same once he gets a job in Canada.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

jaskp1 is on a distinguished road

Anyone have any idea of what date they initiate this rule from??

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-imm...-t67718.0.html

does anyone who just recently received their visa have a conditional visa as the site above states???
Old Aug 14th 2011, 7:48 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

Originally Posted by jaskp1

does anyone who just recently received their visa have a conditional visa as the site above states???

It will be announced in the Canada Gazette as a regulatory change, nothing yet.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

jaskp1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

It will be announced in the Canada Gazette as a regulatory change, nothing yet.
thank Lord!!... and thank you too PMM!!
Old Aug 15th 2011, 12:32 am
Glory glory Man Utd.....

leggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jaskp1

Hi jaskp1,

I got my passport back complete with visa and COPR paperwork on Thursday, absolutely no mention of it being a 'conditional visa'.

I had heard about this proposal a little while back, not sure if it's just a rumour that's being circulated or if indeed the proposal has any weight behind it. I guess time will tell!

Also, some extra info for those who have applied outland but are currently in Canada as temp resident. The final and additional paragraph on the info sheet that came with my passport states that, and I quote:
'you now have the option of obtaining your permanant resident status in Canada as opposed to leaving Canada and re-entering at a port of entry. Contact CIC's Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100 as soon as possible to arrange an appointment with the nearest Citizenship and Immigration office to your place of residence.'

I think this must a relatively new rule as earlier on the same info sheet it clearly states that 'You cannot aquire permanant resident status from within Canada.'

Great news for any of you that live a long way from any border to the US and facing a potentialy long and costly journey in order to 'land'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.