Time counts while in US?

Old Sep 5th 2004, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

MadHatters will become famous soon enoughMadHatters will become famous soon enough
Default Time counts while in US?

Fellows

I was recently told that once you get your PR, you do the landing process and then you can come back to US and since the canadian custom doesn't know that you went back to US you start counting the 720 days out of the 5 years. Is that rigth?

MadHattters
Old Sep 5th 2004, 8:15 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice
Default Re: Time counts while in US?

It would be up to you to demonstrate that you have been living in Canada, which might mean more than flashing a passport at someone. They might want more than that, especially if they have their suspicions that you have been dishonest.

A general question: why do people seek permanent residence when they don't have any intention of living in the country?

Originally Posted by MadHatters
Fellows

I was recently told that once you get your PR, you do the landing process and then you can come back to US and since the canadian custom doesn't know that you went back to US you start counting the 720 days out of the 5 years. Is that rigth?

MadHattters
Old Sep 5th 2004, 8:20 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Who told you such idiotic rumor???

You must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days in every 5 years period and be able to prove it. Stamps (or lack of) in the passport prove nothing - you will have to show your utility bills, school attendance or employment record, etc. clearly demontrating that you were in Canada in claimed periods.

Fellows

MadHattters
Old Sep 6th 2004, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road

Its a very valid question. If you dont want to make Canada your home then give opportunity to somebody else. Whats the use wasting Govt's time and resources.

Originally Posted by Rhodes
A general question: why do people seek permanent residence when they don't have any intention of living in the country?
Old Sep 6th 2004, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

MadHatters will become famous soon enoughMadHatters will become famous soon enough

Fellows

Don't get mad about it. I just want to be sure how this thing works. Of course I want my PR, but in the mean time I will try to finish my PhD.Therefore I would need some more time in US while I finish it. Then I will go back to US for sure.

MadHatters
Old Sep 6th 2004, 7:34 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Fellows
Then I will go back to US for sure.
Is that a freudian slip? You know, where you mean to say one thing but say your mother.....another

Surely you can finish writing up etc while in Canada? If you do go back to the US there are more sophisticated ways to know about it than just the passport, They seem to have plate cameras at all the crossing points now anyway, so thats another way, and I'm pretty sure they are recording most IDs when you cross.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

thanchaur is on a distinguished road

It is nice of you all to question the intention of people who talk about returning to the US for something. But it is an open secret that many people use Canada as an insurance. I don't mean all. It is what I have been observing. It does not make sense to be upset with people who want to buy insurance. It is the job of the immigration officials to recognize them. Most of the time, social and economic realities create conditions of incentive to immigrate or not to immigrate. If Canada cannot offer better incentives, even Canadians would migrate to other countries. Why so many White Canadians are leaving Canada every year ?