Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Time to act - Planning our Canadian chapter !

Time to act - Planning our Canadian chapter !

Old Sep 19th 2011, 4:05 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future
Smile Time to act - Planning our Canadian chapter !

Hello...

Me and my partner would like to emigrate to Canada.

Realistically it wont be until the end of 2013 (by which time we will have saved £25/35,000).

My partner is a teacher here in the UK with about 10 years experience.

I am unsure which is the best route to go with this... but before I can decide on the best route to take I need some basic info answered.

The teaching route...

1 - Does my partner need to gain a Canadian teaching qualification in order to be able to get a job ?
1a - If further qualifications are required, can these be obtained via online study from the UK ?
1b - How many months/years do further qualifications courses last, and approximately how much do they cost ?

2 - I understand he will need to register with a provincial teachers association, but in order to register he must already be a Permanent Resident (PR) - is this right ?
2a - Am I right in thinking that the Ontario teachers association does NOT require applicants to already have PR ?

The study permit route...

I was thinking we could enter Canada with my partner on a study permit, studying something to enhance his desirability as a Canadian teacher, while I worked full time (via an Open Work Permit) to support us...

1 - I read somewhere on this forum that ppl who have studied full time for a year can apply for PR and it only takes 6-12 months ? More info on this would be appreciated.

I'm sure I will have many more questions as I look deeper into all this.

Your help would be much appreciated, we've dreamed of doing this long enough, it's time to act !!!

TIA,

Mark.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 4:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time to act - Planning our Canadian chapter !

Originally Posted by loser40
1 - I read somewhere on this forum that ppl who have studied full time for a year can apply for PR and it only takes 6-12 months ? More info on this would be appreciated.
No idea on the teaching side of things, but unfortunately the info you've been reading is out of date and this is no longer possible. It used to be that after a year of studying or working full-time in Canada you could apply as a Skilled Worker (category 3). Unfortunately, category 3 of the FSW program was scrapped in June 2010, so this isn't an option any longer.

There is no longer a direct route from a study permit to PR, so you'll need a Plan B. Maybe one of you could try and get a job offer once there to use for a PR application?

HTH.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 4:37 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future
Angry Re: Time to act - Planning our Canadian chapter !

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No idea on the teaching side of things, but unfortunately the info you've been reading is out of date and this is no longer possible. It used to be that after a year of studying or working full-time in Canada you could apply as a Skilled Worker (category 3). Unfortunately, category 3 of the FSW program was scrapped in June 2010, so this isn't an option any longer.

There is no longer a direct route from a study permit to PR, so you'll need a Plan B. Maybe one of you could try and get a job offer once there to use for a PR application?

HTH.
Hey...

Thanks for the speedy reply - typical that its no longer an option. damn damn damn.

M.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 4:55 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hey...

Thanks for the speedy reply - typical that its no longer an option. damn damn damn.

M.
Teaching is unlikely to get you into Canada. Teaching is very hard to get into here, can take years to get a job.

Also, if you come to Canada, from my experience 'damn' is considered to be extremely strong language, up there with many other four letter words. It surprised me, along with a few other phrases I used without much thought and until educated to the contrary.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 5:31 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Hey...

M.
What is your occupation?
Old Sep 19th 2011, 6:21 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
What is your occupation?
Im a decorator by trade, but due to long term ill health (depression) my CV is patchy, so I/we think it best to have my partner as principle applicant.

Now looking at NS PNP btw... I/we want to get to Canada ASAP, and applying for PR from the UK and waiting 5+ years is a last resort.

M.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 6:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Now looking at NS PNP btw... I/we want to get to Canada ASAP, and applying for PR from the UK and waiting 5+ years is a last resort.
What kind of PR application do you think will take 5+ years? FSW applications used to take that long, but they don't any longer.

What does your partner do? Do either of you have a job offer in NS?
Old Sep 19th 2011, 7:00 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

Smile Re: Time to act - Planning our Canadian chapter !

What kind of PR application do you think will take 5+ years? FSW applications used to take that long, but they don't any longer.

What does your partner do? Do either of you have a job offer in NS?
Hello again...

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

My mistake, I thought that an application for Canadian PR made from the UK took 5+ years !

My partner is a teacher.

Neither of us have a job offer in NS or anywhere else in Canada.

Just looking at the NS PNP route as a quick way to get to Canada and obtain PR !

Thanks again for your help

Mark.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 7:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

My mistake, I thought that an application for Canadian PR made from the UK took 5+ years !
Nope, takes the same amount of time as a PR application made inside Canada. There are some routes that are longer than others, but most take around a year.

Just looking at the NS PNP route as a quick way to get to Canada and obtain PR !
Which stream are you considering? Seem to recall you weren't eligible for the CIS from your previous postings, so one of you would probably require a job offer. Unlikely that a teacher would be able to find one without a visa already (and even then it's tough, as I'm sure you know) so it would probably be down to you.

Are you eligible for PR as a FSW? Not sure if you have discounted it just because you thought it was 5 years or more processing times, if so, maybe re-consider?
Old Sep 19th 2011, 7:33 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

Nope, takes the same amount of time as a PR application made inside Canada. There are some routes that are longer than others, but most take around a year.

Which stream are you considering? Seem to recall you weren't eligible for the CIS from your previous postings, so one of you would probably require a job offer. Unlikely that a teacher would be able to find one without a visa already (and even then it's tough, as I'm sure you know) so it would probably be down to you.

Are you eligible for PR as a FSW? Not sure if you have discounted it just because you thought it was 5 years or more processing times, if so, maybe re-consider?
Hi again...

It's been a funny day - I think I may be a little confused, let me start again.

We are in the UK and want to live permanently in Canada. Neither of us have began an application or have a job offer.

My partner is a teacher with 10 years experience. I am decorator with long a term illness (depression).

I am not eligible for NS CIS 'cos I don't have year 12 education, or FSW...but I reckon my partner may be eligible for NS CIS as he hasn't got a job offer !... so that is one possible option.

In your opinion, which would be the quickest possible routes for us to apply to live and work in Canada, how long would they take, and approx how much would the application cost ?... I think things would be simpler having my partner as principle applicant.

Sorry to be misleading/unclear, I/ we are knackered.

M.

Last edited by loser40; Sep 19th 2011 at 7:37 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 7:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

It's no worries, I know how confusing it all is. I think part of the problem is that you're reading old info (i.e. FSW cat 3 after a year of studying, PR taking 5+ years), so I'd start again with the CIC website and recent threads on the forum - forget anything older than a few months old as things change so quickly in immigration.

So, CIS is an option if your partner can be the principal applicant, although that won't be a quick route unless you already have ties there (by the time you've done your visits, then applied for PR, you'd probably looking at a couple of years in total).

From what you've said, the only other route would be for one of you to find a job offer or to go on a study permit, but without knowing everything about you (i.e. any relatives in Canada, your net worth, previous employment history for both of you etc), then it's quite difficult to say.

Sorry I can't be more use, but if I were you I'd grab a cuppa and have a good read of the CIC website to see what you think you may be eligible for now.

Good luck.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 9:33 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

due to long term ill health (depression) my CV is patchy
At the medical stage this may or may not raise some excessive demand questions.

'Anxiety, depression or nervous problems
In the case of a positive response to a history of mental illness, which might include depression, psychosis, schizophrenia, eating disorders, or drug and alcohol abuse, the details should include the specific diagnosis with details of the type and duration of treatment, any history of non-compliance with treatment or of relapses, and an assessment of potential for self-harm or harm to others.

The DMP may consider completing an Adult’s Global Assessment of Functioning Scale (GAF) – see Appendix VII.'
Old Sep 20th 2011, 1:26 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

Question Re: Time to act - Planning our Canadian chapter !

Originally Posted by Aviator
At the medical stage this may or may not raise some excessive demand questions.

'Anxiety, depression or nervous problems
In the case of a positive response to a history of mental illness, which might include depression, psychosis, schizophrenia, eating disorders, or drug and alcohol abuse, the details should include the specific diagnosis with details of the type and duration of treatment, any history of non-compliance with treatment or of relapses, and an assessment of potential for self-harm or harm to others.

The DMP may consider completing an Adult’s Global Assessment of Functioning Scale (GAF) – see Appendix VII.'
You think !

What are the implications of what you are saying ?

M.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:50 pm

You think !

What are the implications of what you are saying ?

M.
When taking the medical if my memory serves me right, you have to declare any pre existing medical conditions and medical history, which includes mental health. The doctor then makes a determination if further investigations is required.

Something to consider and investigate further.

The more prepared you are the better. Good luck.