Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Three Questions : Jobs, TOEFL, HAMBURG

Three Questions : Jobs, TOEFL, HAMBURG

Old Jun 18th 2001, 5:33 am
Faceless Mind

Matthias Pump <[email protected]> wrote

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
have
    >

National Outlook to 2004 for "Computer Programmers":

Currently, chances of finding work in this occupation are rated "Fair", since
employment opportunities and earnings are both at average levels. Over the next five
years, this outlook is not expected to change, as the number of job openings is
expected to be matched by the number of qualified job seekers.

http://jobfutures.ca/jobfutures/noc/2163.html

>
    >
    >

Theoretically, TOEFL is fine.

Practically, they will determine your proficiency in English language during your
first telephone or face-to-face conversation.

>
    >
about
    >

I just came back from Vancouver (oh a beautiful city -- mountains, islands, gold
courses, proximity of Polynesia...), and I can tell you that Vancouver has a sizeable
German community.

-s

Old Jun 18th 2001, 8:47 am
Faceless Mind

Matthias Pump <[email protected]> wrote

>

You are welcome. And by the way, the following

>

...should of course read "golf courses".

S. Tudoric

Old Jun 18th 2001, 4:17 pm
Matthias Pump

Hello everybody, i am just at the start of my immigration process and i have two
questions :

1. I am from Germany and i am working for three years now as a computer programmer in
COBOL and Java and for now one and a half year as a SAP-Administrator responsible
for Activity Groups and User Administration, but although with great knowledge of
INFORMIX Database Administration and some more special aspects of the SAP system.
Now here is my question : How difficult is it for someone like me coming fron
germany finding an equivalent job in Vancouver? I know i wouldn't find the same
job that i have now in germany, but is there a real chance to find a job in my
profession?

2. Second question : Do the canadian companies look if i am cabable of english as
requiered by the TOEFL, or do they have an equivalent standard for comparisom of
english speaking person.

3. Oh, i have a third question : Is there someone from Germany (maybe Hamburg) who
has already come to Canada? I am very interested to hear about your story coming
to Canada, your problems and specialities...

Bye, Matthias

Old Jun 18th 2001, 7:53 pm
Matthias Pump

Thank you very much for this really fast response

Matthias

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > 1. I am from Germany and i am working for three years now as a computer[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > programmer in COBOL and Java and for now one and a half year as a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > SAP-Administrator responsible for Activity Groups and User[/usenetquote2]
Administration,
[usenetquote2]> > but although with great knowledge of INFORMIX Database Administration[/usenetquote2]
and
[usenetquote2]> > some more special aspects of the SAP system. Now here is my question :[/usenetquote2]
How
[usenetquote2]> > difficult is it for someone like me coming fron germany finding an equivalent job[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > in Vancouver? I know i wouldn't find the same job that i[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > now in germany, but is there a real chance to find a job in my[/usenetquote2]
profession?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
qualified
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > 2. Second question : Do the canadian companies look if i am cabable of english as[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > requiered by the TOEFL, or do they have an equivalent[/usenetquote2]
standard
[usenetquote2]> > for comparisom of english speaking person.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > 3. Oh, i have a third question : Is there someone from Germany (maybe Hamburg)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > who has already come to Canada? I am very interested to hear[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > your story coming to Canada, your problems and specialities...[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >