Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Is there any risk to POE TWP with LMO?

Is there any risk to POE TWP with LMO?

Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Nibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to all
Arrow Is there any risk to POE TWP with LMO?

We are in the process of having our LMO processed and once this happens we are both going to resign. However, having last minute panic about whether there is any risk to getting our temporary work permit at the point of entry, can you refuse for any reason if you have LMO and passport etc? Should I wait for UK applied temporary work permit before I resign or go? This delay could be problematic as job start is agreed based on resigning in UK when I have LMO. Don't want to end up stranded though with pets and good on a ship, no jobs and turned down for work permit at entry despite job, lmo and everything else in place. Anyone tell me if I am just panicing for nothing or if I have a problem?

Thanks
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there any risk to POE TWP with LMO?

there's a couple of other threads on this which you could search for with various views and information.

I did it in 2007, I had my job offer, already filled out TWP application and the LMO. I also had all sorts of other things in files like college stuff, resume, letters of recommendation etc..

In the end only the first 3 were asked for, the TWP application was hardly looked at, the LMO and the job offer were the main things they wanted.

It depends on the job as well I suppose, a medical is required for health workers and some others have mentioned police checks..

I believe there's a wiki page set up somewhere as well.

As i said for me I took everything I could think of and worried the whole trip and breezed through.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Big Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud of

We did it in October last year.

Extremely nerve-wracking at the time, but we sailed through with immigration only asking for the paperwork mentioned above (even though I had every conceivable piece of paperwork with). Looking back I still think its a ballsy thing to do, selling up, leaving jobs, saying your goodbyes all based on the fact that you are picking up your TWP at POE.

The only problem for us was that OH was a Healthcare Assistant in the UK so couldn't work in Healthcare until she'd had a medical and also had her OWP changed. Apart from that, no problems at all.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:37 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nibbles2005
We are in the process of having our LMO processed and once this happens we are both going to resign. However, having last minute panic about whether there is any risk to getting our temporary work permit at the point of entry, can you refuse for any reason if you have LMO and passport etc? Should I wait for UK applied temporary work permit before I resign or go? This delay could be problematic as job start is agreed based on resigning in UK when I have LMO. Don't want to end up stranded though with pets and good on a ship, no jobs and turned down for work permit at entry despite job, lmo and everything else in place. Anyone tell me if I am just panicing for nothing or if I have a problem?

Thanks
Dont worry.
Job offer letter + LMO + passport(s) + $150 = WP

As it happens, if you do this from DOB* you still dont get a WP. That is always issued at PoE. Rather, you get a letter telling the immigration officer at PoE that you have an LMO and should be given a work permit....

Some might think thats a completely useless replication of effort. I couldnt possibly comment.

* DOB = Dear old Blighty
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wbexpat
Dont worry.
Job offer letter + LMO + passport(s) + $150 = WP

As it happens, if you do this from DOB* you still dont get a WP. That is always issued at PoE. Rather, you get a letter telling the immigration officer at PoE that you have an LMO and should be given a work permit....

Some might think thats a completely useless replication of effort. I couldnt possibly comment.

* DOB = Dear old Blighty
Not entirely accurate, the letter you get is not just a letter to tell the IO that you have an LMO... It is an approval notice to tell the IO at POE that your application to work has been approved and that the permit should be issued. What you're doing by applying for TWP at POE is you're skipping that entire process and putting your luck into the hands of the Immigration Officer on site. He could say no if you are missing something he wants to see. When you have the approval letter the final decision still rests with the Officer at POE but the letter tells him that all the necessary checks have been made and you passed so a refusal at POE is less likely to happen this way. To sum it up, even if you normally wouldn't get the work permit shipped in the mail when you're applying through the consulate I would still recommend to go through the consulate if you want to have a bit more security and peace of mind before you arrive. I did it both ways..first work permit applied and approved through consulate....arrived at POE, very friendly and pleasant experience... Second time applied at POE and nearly pissed myself because IO requested approval letter from the consulate (yes, sometimes the IO doesn't know you can apply directly at POE) and some files in their system didn't check out... I got it in the end but it cost me a lot of nerves which could have been avoided by waiting a few more weeks for the consulate. I probably lost some hair too

Whichever way you chose in the end is up to you but if I wasn't absolutely sure about meeting the requirements for a work permit then I would definitely apply through the consulate.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:31 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kleinluka
Not entirely accurate, the letter you get is not just a letter to tell the IO that you have an LMO... It is an approval notice to tell the IO at POE that your application to work has been approved and that the permit should be issued. What you're doing by applying for TWP at POE is you're skipping that entire process and putting your luck into the hands of the Immigration Officer on site. He could say no if you are missing something he wants to see. When you have the approval letter the final decision still rests with the Officer at POE but the letter tells him that all the necessary checks have been made and you passed so a refusal at POE is less likely to happen this way. To sum it up, even if you normally wouldn't get the work permit shipped in the mail when you're applying through the consulate I would still recommend to go through the consulate if you want to have a bit more security and peace of mind before you arrive. I did it both ways..first work permit applied and approved through consulate....arrived at POE, very friendly and pleasant experience... Second time applied at POE and nearly pissed myself because IO requested approval letter from the consulate (yes, sometimes the IO doesn't know you can apply directly at POE) and some files in their system didn't check out... I got it in the end but it cost me a lot of nerves which could have been avoided by waiting a few more weeks for the consulate. I probably lost some hair too

Whichever way you chose in the end is up to you but if I wasn't absolutely sure about meeting the requirements for a work permit then I would definitely apply through the consulate.

KL: Although I respect your input I dont think I can concur based on first hand experience. However, rather than dwelling on semantic differences between our views, perhaps we can look again at the OP and find ways to help.

We are in the process of having our LMO processed and once this happens we are both going to resign.

However, having last minute panic about whether there is any risk to getting our temporary work permit at the point of entry, can you [be] refuse for any reason if you have LMO and passport etc?
[IO can always refuse entry hence always a small risk. But in the words of the published rules, and the personal of both Kleinluka and myself, offer+LMO+passport+$150 = WP@PoE]

Should I wait for UK applied temporary work permit before I resign or go?
[This is your decision. ALthough Kleinluka and myself, although disagreeing on semantics, both agree that UK does not actually issue the TWP. That happens at PoE]

This delay could be problematic as job start is agreed based on resigning in UK when I have LMO. Don't want to end up stranded though with pets and good on a ship, no jobs and turned down for work permit at entry despite job, lmo and everything else in place. Anyone tell me if I am just panicing for nothing or if I have a problem?
[It is natural to panic. I dont think you have a problem. This is a big move but in my experience the IO is there to help you not ruin your day. I will come back to the matter of pets]

Thanks

Your decision to go via London or PoE is based on a balance of things. They are:
(a) how quickly you need to get to Canada (London==6 week delay. In the post it is mentioned that a delay could be "problematic".
(b) how quickly you can arrange shipping. maybe those 6 weeks will dovetail nicely.
(c) your personal risk tolerance

What I would say is that whether via London or PoE you can refused. Even if you are not refused the potential employer can renege up to the minute you arrive on your first day at work. These are all risks. Crossing the road is a risk. Listening to strangers on the internet is a risk.

Re pets & shipping. Please dont underestimate how much of a pain in the arse it is to move a pet and stuff. It takes time, cash and coordination. Plus additional forms that make your WP application look like bingo card.

I dont give advice because Im not a lawyer but it might serve you well to spend 48 hours phoning round and seeing how quickly you can pack up your life in readiness to make the trip. If it looks like 6 weeks then you might as well go via London. If you can pack up tomorrow go via PoE.

I must apologise. Perhaps my first post was a bit terse and I am grateful to Kleinluke for drawing attention to my slapdashery albeit maybe not in the way he thought. While I stand by my personal belief and experience that PoE is easy-peasy, I forgot that some people have complex lives to wrap up and that the PoE matter is only one small part of what must really be a larger picture.

Good luck with it. We all go through this. Try and keep a positive attitude and keep looking at the big picture and remember why you are doing this. Sometimes you have to take a leap and see where the chips fall. It wont kill you but it will change your life for the better once you get through it.

cheers

wbx

Last edited by wbexpat; Mar 19th 2009 at 12:32 am. Reason: typos
Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

I had a bad experience at PoE this is why I said 'be careful'.. it doesn't happen to most people, but it could if you're unlucky. it happened to me... But if you ask around on this board most people did the PoE thing without any problem. In the end its your decision...