Are there any GPs on the forum

Old Oct 1st 2008, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

GeDe will become famous soon enoughGeDe will become famous soon enough
Default Are there any GPs on the forum

Hello,

We are thinking about a move to Canada, but need to find out some honest views on being a GP over there, things like working conditions and pay, also are people fairly welcoming of British Doctors.

Thanks

GeDe.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there any GPs on the forum

Hi GeDe. We're not in Canada yet but hope to get there early next year. We're 2 GPs, we went over in the summer to check out areas and jobs. We came back with jobs and are itching to get back and started.
What do you want to know? How far have you go into to the whole thing?
If you haven't already, start by looking at becoming licenced over there. You'll need to do it by deciding where you want to live first. These links will help a little;

http://www.mcc.ca/en/

http://www.healthmatchbc.org/

http://www.albertaphysicianlink.ab.ca/

http://www.pcrc.org/en/

Pay will vary by the sort of job you go for, and I can only talk about BC. You'll have to work very hard to earn what you do in the UK, but we'll both be working equally over there ( so with me doing more and DH doing less, we'll increase our joint income). We feel our quality of life will be better- no on call ( but you will have that in rural areas)- when we're full -we're full (no having to slot anyone in. No visits. You will have to do things nurses do over here e.g. smears, dressings. There much less paperwork, less staff to employ, but watch out for overheads, and whether Obs/ A&E cover is required.

Most GPs seemed very happy and had a great life. They are very short of GPs, so you will have your pick of posts, outside large cities (Vancouver & Victoria in BC -but I even had an offer from Kelowna). So you will literally be fending them off and if you like several places, it's hard to choose. In some places up to a quarter of people are "orphan" i.e. no GP, they rely on walk in clinics and A&E.

The poor patients seem to be so in need of GPs, they will be more than happy to see a British GP and we met other UK GPs who love it over there.We met several Canadians in campsites in Alberta who tried to persuade us to consider Alberta, but for us it would be harder to get there than BC. Canadians are wonderful, very welcoming people- in my experience!

There's so much more I could tell you, especially if BC is your preferred destination. I do know some gossip now about various places But feel free to PM me if you want or ask away
Old Oct 1st 2008, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Are there any GPs on the forum

thank you for that message,

I have looked at the sites and it look a bit complicated re registering, and do you have to do the exams??

I have MRCGP.

I can't PM you yet as I haven't done enough posts, but will do when I can

thanks
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi GeDe

I actually have a British (Scottish to be exact) doctor here in town - he was reccommended to me by a Canadian who absolutely raved about him so I would say that you would be well received.

(Now kicking myself under the laptop as I saw an article recently how a Province is trying to recruit foreign GPs to fulfill their shortages)
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Your MRCGP is fairly meaningless:curse:
As things stand at present, you will need to sit the MCCEE (usually given a year to do so and is fairly easy) then sit MCCQE parts I & II. Then you could sit the equivalent of MRCGP!!! You'll get temporary registration to start with and the requirements for that vary from province to province, BC seems easiest to us, look at this page which explains some of it ;

http://www.cpsbc.ca/physicians-area/...orary-register

If you are keen on BC, a phone call to Healthmatch is well worth the money, they are excellent and will guide you through the whole process. I don't think the other provinces are as well set up.

We were put off at first by all the hoop jumping, but having been there and seen the "system" we can't wait and are happy to do this. Please PM though when you can.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

sue.robinson is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm just back from BC, and have accepted a GP job, hoping to move next year.

Healthmatch has been, and continues to be, amazingly helpful, throughout the whole process so far.

Because I qualified in 1982, getting the necessary documentation to apply to apply (if you see what I mean) for jobs and to sit the exam, was a nightmare, and took several months. This was because a lot of the institutions where I worked no longer exist, and I couldn't get confirmation of my previous jobs. I got round it, though.

I'm surprised to hear that snoopdawg feels that you have to work very hard to earn what you do in the UK; I looked at 7 practices and, even allowing for overheads, I should take home what I do here, at least. However I don't work in a very high earning practice - just average!

Very excited and can't wait!
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Sue. You may be right about earnings, although I'm salaried and very PT here, my DH is in a very high earning practice in the UK. And we do not want to work full time over there, it would defeat the whole object of a better quality of life. Where are you going?
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 4:57 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
Hi Sue. You may be right about earnings, although I'm salaried and very PT here, my DH is in a very high earning practice in the UK. And we do not want to work full time over there, it would defeat the whole object of a better quality of life. Where are you going?
Don't go to BC. Come to Gatineau. Please..........
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

I should also say that we also had a terrible time obtaining necessary documents- if anything almost stopped us it's that and we're not finished yet. I qualified 1985 and was amazed that hospitals seem to destroy records of doctors employment after about 7-8 years. Maybe I'm cynical but I wonder if it's deliberate. If GeDe qualified more recently, you should be fine.

We looked at all areas of Canada, although having been to BC before we were already keen to head there if possible. I wanted to keep an open mind but, and maybe I'm wrong , but BC does look the easiest with Alberta 2nd. I think this is why all the UK docs seems to be heading to BC. Other provinces may be desperate but they don't have an organization like Healthmatch and have more hoops to jump.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

I'm going to Penticton in the Okanagan, planning to work 4 days a week, as I do here - but those 4 days here are 10 hours with maybe 20 minutes for lunch. So, hopefully a better work-life balance.

Re the documentation of jobs, I got letters from all the consultants for whom I'd worked, and my GP trainer, confirming the jobs I had done, and that was accepted. I'd also not done psych, but one of my consultant colleagues wrote a letter saying that I had equivalent experience.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Very interesting
Penticton was our 2nd place, but we're heading to the other end of the valley, a bit less heat, a bit more snow and slightly ( only slightly) cheaper! You must have visited just after us and been to the same clinics. Very nice people, we were very tempted . I loved Penticton and could happily have lived there , you'll have a great life. You must post again, so I can PM you, I'd love to know who you're going to work with.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Hi , thank you for all your helpful advice.

I qualified 1995.

I am PT salaried too, so I think I may be better off there.

To ask a boring question, do you get any pension/paid holiday?

I will talk to health match BC about the nitty gritty!

gede
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

All the practices I looked at, you are paid for what you do - so, if you take lots of holiday, you don't get paid!

I did get one offer of 6 months on a fixed salary, then moving to the pay per item option, but I prefer not to be salaried as I like to be able to control my own workload
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holiday depends on how you're employed I would think. If you're very rural, (Northern BC), I think there's a locum scheme to guarantee holiday , but not sure. If you're rural in southern BC, you might be on your own. Locums are in short supply so holidays could be difficult. From what I could gather the locums keep their own billings but might pay you an amount for premises, staff.
In a town, patients have the back up of walk in clinic and A&E, so holidays are easier. But you won't earn as you're not seeing the punters, it's a bill per visit system .This needs to be factored in to your overall earnings. Again, could be wrong, but that's what I'm expecting. Works both ways though as when the GPs we will be working with are on hols ,we will only cover their paper work. I guess we'll only see their patients if we want to.

Pensions are something we are looking into. From posts on this forum and others, I think we can transfer our NHS pension to a private one here, but I'm nervous as it's so good in the UK. I've a lot more research to do and would appreciate any info anyone can find. We have been meaning to contact UK GPs in Canada to see what they have done but haven't got around to it.Yet another job!!!

Even before you start the immigration stuff, the medical bits will keep you occupied for months! 1995 should be ok, but be aware that if you used JCPTGP they destroyed all their paper records!!!!!!!!!!:curse: The PMETB will give you a long certificate for ££s but not hugely detailed. Some of my old consultants have died, makes me feel very old!
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

ctcrm will become famous soon enoughctcrm will become famous soon enough

canada, canadian search engine, free email, canada news
Thursday » October 2 » 2008

Alberta team targets doctors at U.K. career fairs

Michelle Lang
Calgary Herald

Thursday, October 02, 2008

In the face of a severe physician shortage, an Alberta delegation of government officials and medical groups travelled Wednesday to the United Kingdom, where they will attempt to lure British doctors to work in this province.

Representatives from Alberta Employment, the Alberta Rural Physician Action Plan and the College of Physicians and Surgeons will attend medical job fairs in London and Birmingham, England.

The officials will attempt to sell the doctors on the province as an attractive place to live, with a good outdoor lifestyle and "wide open spaces."

"We're attending the shows to promote Alberta to U.K. doctors," said Sorcha McGinnis, a spokeswoman with Alberta Employment.

"We can offer a good workplace, great living opportunities and they're able to own a piece of land in Alberta, which isn't always possible in the U.K.," McGinnis said.

The British doctors, in turn, are attractive to Alberta recruiters because their credentials are usually transferable and there's no language barrier, she said.

The recruitment effort comes as other Alberta organizations also look to the U.K. for potential hires, including a City of Calgary delegation that went to England this summer. The city officials hired 80 people to become bus drivers, heavy duty mechanics and other municipal workers.

British media, however, slammed the trip and accused Canada of trying to poach workers.

It's not clear whether the latest recruitment efforts will generate criticism, but officials with the Alberta Rural Physician Action Plan said the U.K. has a surplus of junior physicians.

Alberta, on the other hand, is facing a shortage of at least 1,000 doctors, and the problems are felt most acutely in rural parts of the province.

David Kay said his rural physician organization has been on three trips to the London career fairs, which are hosted by the British Medical Association Journal.

He said much of his time is spent on "market awareness," including showing young doctors Alberta on a map.

"Alberta is not well known," he said. "We're at the 30,000 foot level of 'this is Alberta and this is Canada.' "

Recruiters from this province will face competition from at least three other Canadian jurisdictions. Organizations from British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Newfoundland are all registered exhibitors at the career fair.

Kay hopes a new "working holiday" pilot program in Alberta will give this province an edge with potential candidates. The Alberta Rural Physician Action Plan has government funding to hire several qualified foreign doctors, cover their expenses and have them work in rural locations on a temporary basis.

He said the program should give doctors a feel for working and living in the province.

[email protected]
© The Calgary Herald 2008

Close

Copyright © 2008 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
maybe of interest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.