Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Temporary Working Visa - Media Industry

Temporary Working Visa - Media Industry

Old Apr 21st 2013, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Just_Bee is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Temporary Working Visa - Media Industry

Hi All,

I'm considering a temporary move to Canada and trying to find out what is the best option for me in terms of Visa's. The Canadian Embassy website seems to have so many options/choice I'm rather confused about what would be the best option.

Ideally I would like to move to Canada for approx 6-12 months to gain international experience. I don't think I fall into the Skilled Worker bracket. However, I do work in the Media Industry and wasn't sure if my work in television as crew would require me to apply for a Visa. Would I need an offer of employment from an employer first (I'm often self employed working on short term contracts). Or do I apply for the Visa first and then apply for work?

Please can someone give me some tips/advice on the best process. If anyone knows of a company/agency that offer advise such as 1st Connect do for immigration to Australia or South Africa that would be great.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Working Visa - Media Industry

Depending on your age and citizenship you may be eligible to apply under the IEC (Working Holiday Visa) however the IEC for 2013 for UK citizens has now closed. This route requires no job offer or LMOs to be issued.
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...nce/index.aspx

Other than that the next plan would be to find an employer in Canada willing to apply for a Labour Market Opinion for you where there are no qualified Canadians available to do your job (highly unlikely).

Depending where you want to go in Canada i.e. Province/Territory then look at the different Provincial Nominee Programmes
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

As you seem to suggest you only want a Temporary move IMHO you will find it very difficult. Your best route is the IEC for short term work.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

firstchoice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Temporary Working Visa - Media Industry

It does seem you would need a work permit. The one exception would be work without a work permit under Regulation 186(g):

"186. A foreign national may work in Canada without a work permit

(g) as a performing artist appearing alone or in a group in an artistic performance — other than a performance that is primarily for a film production or a television or radio broadcast — or as a member of the staff of such a performing artist or group who is integral to the artistic performance, if

(i) they are part of a foreign production or group, or are a guest artist in a Canadian production or group, performing a time-limited engagement, and

(ii) they are not in an employment relationship with the organization or business in Canada that is contracting for their services, nor performing in a bar, restaurant or similar establishment;"

There are a lot of conditions to comply with in that regulation, but as a staff member who is part of a foreign production or group, and if you are not taking part in a broadcast, you may in fact be able to work.