Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Temporary Work Permit in Canada, now with visa ready to leave Canada to LAND

Temporary Work Permit in Canada, now with visa ready to leave Canada to LAND

Old Dec 28th 2009, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

brit_in_cape_breton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary Work Permit in Canada, now with visa ready to leave Canada to LAND

Hi,

I've been in Nova Scotia, Canada on a Temporary Work Permit since March 2009, I applied for a PR via the Nova Scotia Provincial Nominee Programme. Just before Christmas I received my passport back, now I need to leave Canada to LAND again.

I've searched online and on here, but haven't found anything helpful so far.

If anyone has been in the same situation, I would like to hear from you as whether to leave the country by border into the US or better to fly out and fly back in.

Is there a certain amount of time, you have to leave Canada for?
Can I just cross the border and turn around.

Will it be easy to enter the US for this purpose?

Apologies if there are other posts answering this, if you could point me in the right direction, thanks in advance.

I'm a single, British Citizen with no baggage.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant futurelucycrow has a brilliant future
Default Re: Temporary Work Permit in Canada, now with visa ready to leave Canada to LAND

Hi There

We were on temporary work permit and got PR and we just crossed the border at Niagara into the US, spent 15 minutes over there and then came back.

Not sure where your nearest border crossing is to US - there should be a date on your COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residency form which you should have got back on your passport) for when you need to enter by. This is usually a year from the date of your medical but can be shorter so just check.

It was very quick-just make sure you have all the documents with you (proof of funds etc -if you need to show this)

The immigration people are used to people doing this so don't worry too much.

Hope this helps- good luck and congrats on your PR
Lucy
Old Dec 28th 2009, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Temporary Work Permit in Canada, now with visa ready to leave Canada to LAND

Originally Posted by lucycrow
Hi There

We were on temporary work permit and got PR and we just crossed the border at Niagara into the US, spent 15 minutes over there and then came back.

Not sure where your nearest border crossing is to US - there should be a date on your COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residency form which you should have got back on your passport) for when you need to enter by. This is usually a year from the date of your medical but can be shorter so just check.

It was very quick-just make sure you have all the documents with you (proof of funds etc -if you need to show this)

The immigration people are used to people doing this so don't worry too much.

Hope this helps- good luck and congrats on your PR
Lucy
Thanks for your reply Lucy, thats what I was hoping to hear, nearest border for me is New Brunswick into Maine. And the US border guards didnt question you too much about it?
Old Dec 28th 2009, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Thought you could now 'land' inland by going to local CIC office? This is what we are hoping to do once we hopefully get sorted think takes approx 6 weeks when sorting an appointment
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Thought you could now 'land' inland by going to local CIC office? This is what we are hoping to do once we hopefully get sorted think takes approx 6 weeks when sorting an appointment
That would be great as there is a CIC office here where I live. I don't see any information online, still searching. Will see if I can speak to someone this week.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:27 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by brit_in_cape_breton
That would be great as there is a CIC office here where I live. I don't see any information online, still searching. Will see if I can speak to someone this week.
If you wish to land at a local CIC, you phone the call centre 1-888-242-2100 and they will make an appointment at the local CIC. Wait time about 4-8 weeks depending on the office. Local CICs are not listed.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

If you wish to land at a local CIC, you phone the call centre 1-888-242-2100 and they will make an appointment at the local CIC. Wait time about 4-8 weeks depending on the office. Local CICs are not listed.
On my fifth attempt at calling the number I managed to get through to a person and requested an appointment.

Thanks for your help.

p.s. If anyone else is reading this and needs to call the number 1-888-242-2100 and needs to speak to a person, you can enter the numbers 1, 1, 1, 1 then finally wait for the recorded voice to start before pressing 0.
That will take you quickly through the menu options.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

feralbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Try 2 days for an appointment in PEI - really does depend where you are. I landed via the appointment method. Very quick easy and a lot less hassle then going to a border.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 9:40 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to say Hi!, noticed you are in Cape Breton, beautiful part of NS Whereabouts are you?

There are lots of us here in NS and we have meet ups quite a bit, know its a bit of a drive for you, but thought you might be interested, there is a facebook page called BE's of novascotia where we are all joined up
Old Dec 31st 2009, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Just wanted to say Hi!, noticed you are in Cape Breton, beautiful part of NS Whereabouts are you?

There are lots of us here in NS and we have meet ups quite a bit, know its a bit of a drive for you, but thought you might be interested, there is a facebook page called BE's of novascotia where we are all joined up
Hi Nikki!
I'm in Sydney, very beautiful in Cape Breton! Thanks for the info, I've joined the group on facebook.