Temporary Work Permit??

Old Sep 5th 2011, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

mattwswfc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary Work Permit??

Hello. I have recently posted on here asking about studying or even permanent residence in Canada, and have met some positive feedback.

Right I'll start with my background, I am currently 18 years old and studying a national diploma at a local college, at the end of my course I will have achieved a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT System Support. I am looking to hopefully get started with work experience in computing as soon as I finish my course.

Now to my question about a TWP. I've done a bit of research on website's and am thinking about applying for one in the next 3 years. What I wanted to know is the education that I am doing in the UK just as good in Canada as it would be here, or is it disregarded by Canadian employers?

I understand that IT is an expanding profession and theirs probably an abundance of IT professionals across Canada. But I'm not looking at going straight in to a good job, I am willing to gain experience and work my way in the IT profession.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

Matt
Old Sep 5th 2011, 1:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Work Permit??

You say you are thinking of applying for a Temporary Work Permit, but presumably you are aware that you will need a job offer and LMO first?

Or do you mean a Working Holiday Visa? Two very different things!

A BTEC won't be known in Canada, so you'll have to figure out how to explain it to employers. Will you have a degree by the time you move though? That's what most employers will expect and understand, so the BTEC probably won't be relevant anyway.

Old Sep 5th 2011, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Yes I understand i will need a job offer first but what is a LMO??

Please could you explain as I am unaware of how things work in Canada.

And about the BTEC thing, it is a Diploma, will that be recognised?

Thanks for your help

Matt
Old Sep 5th 2011, 3:14 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You say you are thinking of applying for a Temporary Work Permit, but presumably you are aware that you will need a job offer and LMO first?

Or do you mean a Working Holiday Visa? Two very different things!

A BTEC won't be known in Canada, so you'll have to figure out how to explain it to employers. Will you have a degree by the time you move though? That's what most employers will expect and understand, so the BTEC probably won't be relevant anyway.

Unless an individual is an exceptional programming whiz, a degree or equivalent is expected. Educational qualifications can be translated to equivalency for a fee. Some links in here http://www.onestopimmigration-canada...fications.html

The one thing that surprised me when I moved here is how people ask what your degree is, not if you have one (which I don't). I would not let this put you off, but getting an LMO approval for an IT job is going to be hard in the current economy, a Working Holiday permit is by and far the best way to go.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 3:16 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattwswfc

Please could you explain as I am unaware of how things work in Canada.

And about the BTEC thing, it is a Diploma, will that be recognised?

Thanks for your help

Matt
All you need is in here http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...Hunting-Canada

I am not sure a diploma with little work experience will be enough.

Have you been to Canada before?
Old Sep 5th 2011, 3:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

A LMO is something that your potential employer has to apply for - to get it, they have to prove that they have advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job.

Re: a diploma being recognised, if you look on Canadian job sites, you'll see that pretty much any job requires a degree. Not sure how far you'll get without one, but those in IT will be better placed to tell you.

It seems you haven't discovered it yet, so please do take a look at the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page). There is info in there on LMO's, and equivalency of qualifications.

Old Sep 5th 2011, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for both the replies. I was hoping to do a degree but I wasn't sure, I'm hoping to get some work experience in IT when I finish my first course.

As I said I'm only 18 and unfortunately haven't had the chance to go, but hoping to go in the next year or so. I have a good knowledge of Canada, and it really appeals to me.

Any advice on locations to visit to discover Canada properly?

I also understand that each province has different ways and laws of doing things unlike here in the UK where every process is the same.

Like I said this is just a bit of advice and hopefully looking to move to Canada in the next 5-10 years, because obviously I need the experience here in the UK first and I might even consider doing a degree after all.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 6:05 pm

Thanks for both the replies. I was hoping to do a degree but I wasn't sure, I'm hoping to get some work experience in IT when I finish my first course.

As I said I'm only 18 and unfortunately haven't had the chance to go, but hoping to go in the next year or so. I have a good knowledge of Canada, and it really appeals to me.

Any advice on locations to visit to discover Canada properly?

I also understand that each province has different ways and laws of doing things unlike here in the UK where every process is the same.

Like I said this is just a bit of advice and hopefully looking to move to Canada in the next 5-10 years, because obviously I need the experience here in the UK first and I might even consider doing a degree after all.

Thanks again.
Toronto, Calgary or Vancouver.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 1:58 am
Just Joined

whitesarah_2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey

I moved to Toronto 3 Years ago when I was 21, alone. Its a great place.

I have an undergrad degree in Psych, and i'm finding it hard. Most employers and post grad Universities I found favor Canadian experience and qualification.

If you want to know about the different laws as you mentioned or anything like that, please let me know, Ill help with anything I can.

Have you checked Bunac? Its a great way for students and Under 30s to get a years work permit
Old Sep 8th 2011, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there,

Good advice has been given so far! I would definitely recommend a relevant degree if you want to work in IT in Canada. Getting jobs will be difficult without it. If you're able to get out here and study, that'd be great - not sure how feasible it is though.

As others have said, a working holiday visa is a great opportunity to get out here and work, get a job offer etc.

Good luck whatever you decide and remember at 18, there's no rush