Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Temp work permit checklist for POE

Temp work permit checklist for POE

Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough
Default Temp work permit checklist for POE

I just had my LMO approved and am intending to obtain a TWP at the port of entry (Vancouver). I've got a couple of queries regarding the required documents for immigration.

Firstly does the employer's job offer letter need to state anything specific, beyond my name, the capacity I'll be employed in and salary?

Do I need to bring the original LMO or will a scanned copy suffice?

My partner is accompanying me and will be applying for a spousal work permit (my profession is Skill Level A on the NOC). Do we need to complete the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM 5409) form? We can supply supporting docs - tenancy agreement, bank accounts etc, but was wondering if the form was still necessary or how stringent the custom's officials are?

Would appreciate any advice from people who have entered Canada this way. Thanks.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

sudha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Temp work permit checklist for POE

You need the Original Work Permit at the border and usually with approved LMO, you will have very easy time to get the WP processed.

Make sure you take the originals of the Certificates too along with the Resume. Border officer still needs them.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 9:23 pm

fabretti18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sudha
You need the Original Work Permit
is the WP not the very thing being sought at the border?
Old Jan 12th 2013, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

venrichard is an unknown quantity at this point

I arrived in Calgary (POE) on November 2012 on a 1-way ticket with a scanned copy of my LMO plus my original signed contract and there wasn't any problem. It was at the POE that I applied for my WP, along with my wife's. I'm not sure how it goes if you're not married but I don't remember being asked for our marriage certs albeit we have them to hand.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Venrichard,is that all you needed a copy of the LMO,and job offer/contract to obtain the WP at POE?

I find out on the 28th of this month if I get the position that I am after,the employer says it will take 2 days to add my name to the bulk LMO,but I can arrive once that is done.

Do you think that a downloaded and printed out LMO,ie if employer emails me LMO and I print it out,that I would suffice?
I will be travelling on my own,my partner and I aren't married,she will remain in Scotland with my kids for the first year.

Did you need Police,and medical reports? Some say yes,others no.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scootb
Venrichard,is that all you needed a copy of the LMO,and job offer/contract to obtain the WP at POE?

I find out on the 28th of this month if I get the position that I am after,the employer says it will take 2 days to add my name to the bulk LMO,but I can arrive once that is done.

Do you think that a downloaded and printed out LMO,ie if employer emails me LMO and I print it out,that I would suffice?
I will be travelling on my own,my partner and I aren't married,she will remain in Scotland with my kids for the first year.

Did you need Police,and medical reports? Some say yes,others no.
Yup, the immigration officers at Calgary airport only asked for a copy of my LMO (printed from an email) and signed contract....apart from the passport and $150 fee when I arrived from London, UK. Police report and medical is not required, however you will need the latter if you will be working with students or as a healthcare worker.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks alot mate!

I'm a concrete finisher,get paid peanuts here when you can get the work,but its in GREAT demand in Canada,so shouldn't need any reports then

Did they supply you the application at the airport mate,or did you have to obtain that elsewhere?
Old Jan 13th 2013, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scootb
Thanks alot mate!

I'm a concrete finisher,get paid peanuts here when you can get the work,but its in GREAT demand in Canada,so shouldn't need any reports then

Did they supply you the application at the airport mate,or did you have to obtain that elsewhere?
They will provide all the forms and all you need to do is sign on the dotted line. Good luck with your LMO!
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough

all sounds pretty straightforward, but I don't want to catch myself out because I think it's going to be easy.

Do you think it will matter whether I have a job offer letter or an actual contract of employment?

Also any tips on the spousal visa? Thanks
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:11 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggayowl
all sounds pretty straightforward, but I don't want to catch myself out because I think it's going to be easy.

Do you think it will matter whether I have a job offer letter or an actual contract of employment?

Also any tips on the spousal visa? Thanks
I have seen on other threads that people have taken the offer letter and contract, I suppose its better to have too much than not enough

What class is your Job IE O,A,B or C. If your O,A,B then your OH should get an SOWP off the back of your TWP
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Cat A. But as we're not married, just a bit concerned with presenting a convincing common-in-law case. Not that we should have any problems, just paranoia at this stage.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 12:36 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggayowl
Cat A. But as we're not married, just a bit concerned with presenting a convincing common-in-law case. Not that we should have any problems, just paranoia at this stage.
Do you have any of the following:-

joint tenancy documents
Mortgage docs
Life insurance
pension
joint account
bills in joint names
details and photos of trips together
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

chelle784 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am due to start my new job at the start of Feb and also will be applying a POE work permit and spousal open work permit for my fiance.

With regards to the spousal visa - my fiance and I are not yet married. I have been advised by the immigration department in the company to take the signed leases, bank statements etc which should be fine but just in case to take the signed stat declaration of common law union. We basically have to get a solicitor in the UK to watch us sign it and then they will sign it as well.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Do you have any of the following:-

joint tenancy documents
Mortgage docs
Life insurance
pension
joint account
bills in joint names
details and photos of trips together
yeah got most of those. I'm just being paranoid and things are suddenly happening very quickly after months of waiting and speculating.

Will look to get the common-in-law form completed too. Cheers.