Teaching in Canada with PGCE

Old Jan 14th 2016, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Nicky1627 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Canada with PGCE

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone from the UK, who has a PGCE can give me some advice on teaching Opportunities in Canada please. My husband is a French national who has excellent English, he teaches Maths in an English high school. I am English but I have fluent spoken French and reasonable written French our kids are bilingual... We gain between 81 and 91 points on the immigration calculator but after reading some posts on various forums, it seems rather negative towards the chance's of acquiring a teaching position in Canada. Also I was wondering if he would still have to do further study on arrival in Canada towards teaching qualifications.

And any thoughts on work loads in comparison to UK...
Thanks Nicky.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 9:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Canada with PGCE

Originally Posted by Nicky1627
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone from the UK, who has a PGCE can give me some advice on teaching Opportunities in Canada please. My husband is a French national who has excellent English, he teaches Maths in an English high school. I am English but I have fluent spoken French and reasonable written French our kids are bilingual... We gain between 81 and 91 points on the immigration calculator but after reading some posts on various forums, it seems rather negative towards the chance's of acquiring a teaching position in Canada. Also I was wondering if he would still have to do further study on arrival in Canada towards teaching qualifications.

Thanks Nicky.
Hi, and welcome to BE.

This might help - Teaching in Canada : British Expat Wiki

Would you be bringing in a salary? That will make a difference, if it's just your husband's job you'll be relying on for a wage, then personally I'd look at other countries rather than Canada.

What do you score on the CRS, will one of you require a job offer to get selected?
Old Jan 14th 2016, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Hi thanks for the welcome,

Well do you mean the points calculator? We scored 81 without a job offer and 91 with. But I've only just started to delve into all this. As for jobs I also teach but primary. We were hoping the Two fluent languages would help. But I have to be honest I'm not seeing lot's of positive feed back on teaching in Canada.

We would only come if he had a position to come to. But lots of posts I read seem quite negative about that possibility also!

Do you teach?
Old Jan 14th 2016, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Ah okay I see what you are referring to.No we were looking under skilled migrant visas.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 9:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Well do you mean the points calculator? We scored 81 without a job offer and 91 with. But I've only just started to delve into all this.
That's the first eligibility check (it would be 81, which is fine - no way of a job offer/LMIA for a teacher!), and will allow you to apply to enter the 'pool' of applicants. But you'll only be invited to apply for PR if you're one of the highest scorers in that pool, you'd need above approx 450-480 as a minimum as a rough guide.

As for jobs I also teach but primary.
Ah.

But I have to be honest I'm not seeing lot's of positive feed back on teaching in Canada.
I've been a mod on this forum for many years, and worked in immigration for many years too, and I don't remember ever seeing anything positive about teaching in Canada tbh! I'm afraid it's just not the country for foreign teachers really. There was talk of possible jobs in Manitoba a year or two again, but that's the only province I've heard of where it's possible - might be worth looking in to if you fancy MB?

A quick forum search will bring up lots of relevant threads and give you some useful info from teachers that are in Canada or those trying to become one.

Do you teach?
Hell no - I take my hat off to all of you, you do an amazing job! I'm only going on what's been said in the forum in the past, and I'm very rarely completely negative about somebody going to Canada, but tbh if you're both teachers then I can't see any reason why you'd try to move there unless you're independently wealthy and can do without work for quite some time.

Sorry.

Best of luck though, do have a hunt around the forums for more info as it may be that somebody else has some more recent info that's changed things - you never know!
Old Jan 15th 2016, 1:51 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

So my daughter goes to French Immersion school in Ontario and from what I can gather good bilingual teachers are in short supply. But I think schools are looking for teachers to work in the FI side of things. Worth investigating maybe..
Old Jan 15th 2016, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks I really appreciate the honest advice..... Gutted.....
We have a friend who teaches in Quebec we shall have to have a chat for further advice and maybe look into French Immersion schools....
Where to start!
Old Jan 15th 2016, 2:03 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks Nicky.
The received wisdom, already reflected in the thread, is that teachers haven't a chance of finding a job in Canada.

Education is yet another instance of Your Province May Vary, but speaking of Ontario alone, there is in fact a shortage of French teachers in both Public Schools ( up to grade 8) and High Schools (grade 9-12) as well as a shortage of Math teachers in the latter.

Don't give up hope.

Edited to add: My wife got a job as a teacher in Ontario with a 4-year bachelor's degree and a PGCE. Dealing with the Ontario College of Teachers to get her credentials recognized was a royal PITA and you can't start the process until resident in the Province. Perhaps, two teachers should give up hope after all, or at least be prepared to take on other work for a couple of years.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jan 15th 2016 at 2:11 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 2:33 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks I really appreciate the honest advice..... Gutted.....
We have a friend who teaches in Quebec we shall have to have a chat for further advice and maybe look into French Immersion schools....
Where to start!
You don't need to just look at Quebec.. French Immersion is offered everywhere. Although as Novo pointed out if you can't start registration untill resident that does make it very difficult indeed.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 2:38 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just very difficult, IMO for two teachers without substantial financial resources (so that it doesn't matter if they don't work for years potentially) then it's impossible. If its one teacher and one other with a job that will sustain the family then there is a glimmer of hope in French Immersion potentially.

Getting a teaching job in the province I live in (Newfoundland) is nigh on impossible for an immigrant & difficult for a local. Teaching is a unionised profession and seniority trumps all other considerations. Aside from who you know at the school board perhaps. An immigrant will struggle on both these accounts.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

OnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to all

Hello and welcome, it's been a long time since I posted but your comment caught my eye. I'm a Canadian by birth, I moved to the UK and lived there for many years before returning to Newfoundland. I completed my PGCE in Post Secondary Education in the UK; I was a mature student and completed the course after finishing the one year C&G Training Certificate and a two year College Diploma. While in the UK I worked for several private companies as a Learning & Development/Training Officer and I also worked at Swindon College as an Instructor. Fast forward to my return to my home town and it was impossible to find a career in adult education, and my PGCE hasn't been beneficial in helping me find work. I am currently working in Government and to keep my love of learning, I voluntarily deliver training sessions on Mental Health. But my day to day paying job is administration and I don't see that changing. Unless you know someone, or manage to source a job in private education, I would say it will be a struggle.

TG
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

I also had a PGCE and a BA when I came to Canada 5 years ago; however, my experience has been different to many of the posters on here.

I acquired a teaching job within 5 weeks of arriving in Calgary, and remained as a contractor for 11 months before gaining a permanent position. I teach in higher education and the institution is always looking for contractors.

I think it depends on which province you choose and how determined you are to get a teaching position.

Poppit
Old Jan 24th 2016, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute

poppit,
Would you mind giving me any more detail on subject area/how you approached that? I am in a similar position in Edmonton and am not really sure where to start with applying.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bert07

Well, I taught A Level Business Studies in the UK for 14 years before moving to Calgary in 2010. I was offered a contract position in a post secondary institution teaching IT. I needed the job so took it, worked hard, accepted whatever courses they offered me and after 11 months was successful in gaining a permanent position as a Communications teacher.

My suggestion is to apply for anything you feel you can teach and take contract positions to get your foot in the door.

Poppit
Old Jan 24th 2016, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you that sounds very similar to my experience (different subject areas mind!). That gives me hope at least!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.