Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

taking back landed immigrant to india

taking back landed immigrant to india

Old May 24th 2001, 3:15 am
nobody

Hi,

We landed from India few months back. We have 2 little sons. As we are finding it
difficult to manage with 2 brats , we are thinking of leaving the younger one (16
months) in India with his grandparents.

Let us assume we leave him in india for about 3 yrs. What will be his status after 3
yrs. In what category will he come back to Canada to join us.

Also, the child in question is a US citizen and not Indian citizen.

Please reply in this forum as my email address is bogus.

Old May 24th 2001, 9:40 am
Kay Carbe

Each to their own, but I could not imagine leaving one of my 2 sons with anyone at
any time for whatever reason.

My sons were born 22 months apart and were 2 and 4 when my husband left us. YES it
was hard YES it got me down YES I had little or no social life.

And YES it was ALL worth it to see how they are now at age 10 and 12, living with
myself and my 2nd husband who is a wonderful dad to them.

My parents both died before my sons were born and leaving a child with them was not
an option but I would NOT have done it anyway.

All kids can be brats, and can be wonderful too all in the same day. Why have kids if
you aren't prepared to do the best by them and care for them. The daily grind is hard
for all parents but if you abandon the child at an early age, I wouldn't like to deal
with his/her anger in later years.

Just my personal opinion, but I would go without so my kids could benefit, and I live
on a tight budget and life can be difficult but isn't it worthwhile when you get a
hug or "I love you".

Sure beats the hell out of anything else I know.

>
    >
    >
finding
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 24th 2001, 9:45 am
Kay Carbe

How can you leave children with anyone?

>
    >
    >
finding
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 24th 2001, 10:37 am
\WimsKat\

I agree with you Kay 1000%. I have a 10 year old daughter and I would go through
anything (which I have) to be beside her and hold her hand growing up!! I could not
imagine letting anyone else raise her for even one week.......smile

Old May 24th 2001, 12:03 pm
Simson Alex

Dear Kay, I am sure you mean well. However, in this case, you have absolutely
misunderstood the situation. There is a huge cultural difference in the way
child-rearing is approached, between the east and west. Each has it's good and bad.
In the east, it is very common to leave kids with grandparents, and is so normal that
nobody even thinks twice about it. It absolutely DOES NOT mean that the parents don't
like to take responsibility of bringing up kids. The family will always remain
closely knit.

I hope you recognize the cultural difference in this aspect. An Indian or Taiwanese
cannot force his/her views/ideas of child-rearing on you, just as you cannot apply
your views to their ways. But we can and should always learn from each other.

That said, I am certain that you are a great mother and have made sacrifices for
your kids. I am sure they are proud of you and will appreciate your parenting more
as they grow.

Good luck Simson

Kay Carbe wrote:
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hi,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > We landed from India few months back. We have 2 little sons. As we are[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > it difficult to manage with 2 brats , we are thinking of leaving the younger[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > one (16 months) in India with his grandparents.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Let us assume we leave him in india for about 3 yrs. What will be his status[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > after 3 yrs. In what category will he come back to Canada to join us.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Also, the child in question is a US citizen and not Indian citizen.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Please reply in this forum as my email address is bogus.[/usenetquote2]

Old May 24th 2001, 1:46 pm
nobody

Ok guys, enough of parental sermons.I want your legal opinion on my questions.

thanks.

in message

[usenetquote2]>> > Hi,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > We landed from India few months back. We have 2 little sons. As we are[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> finding[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > it difficult to manage with 2 brats , we are thinking of leaving the younger[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > one (16 months) in India with his grandparents.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > Let us assume we leave him in india for about 3 yrs. What will be his status[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > after 3 yrs. In what category will he come back to Canada to join us.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > Also, the child in question is a US citizen and not Indian citizen.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > Please reply in this forum as my email address is bogus.[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old May 24th 2001, 1:57 pm
PMM

Hi

>
    >
    >
finding
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

There are really two answer to your question.

1. Since he would be outside of Canada for more than 183 days in any 12 month
period the Act states that he is presumed to have abandoned Canada. But the
Federal Court has ruled that in the case of minor (under 14) he/she cannot make
the conscious decision to abandon Canada.

2. It is quite likely that although he couldn't make the decision to abandon
Canada, that CIC will insist that you submit a sponsorship application for him
when you want to bring him back permanently to Canada. It would not take long
since he would only have to pass the medical. No background screening for minor
children. You could argue with CIC that he couldn't inform the intend to
abandon, but simpler and fast to sponsor.

PMM

Old May 24th 2001, 1:59 pm
Kay Carbe

Sorry for 2 postings I thought one hadn't posted.

I do appreciate different cultures/religions etc and am tolerant of others as I wish
them to be of me. I also appreciate that this is "normal" for Asian families to let
the grandparents care for the children, but to be in a different country from the
parents is not the same as being reared by grandparents and still seeing parents.

Religions and cultures may and do vary and each to their own, but I would have
thought mothers worldwide would feel the same about their own children.

Motherhood is a unique universal club that must surely have the same criteria whoever
and wherever you are. Studies have proved that the best thing you can ever do for
your child is to spend the first 5 years at home with them. Obviously this is not
financially viable to a good deal of parents but at least they can be there to tuck
them into bed each night.

That in itself is worth a million words.

I did not misinterpret the situation, I just feel that you don't have children if you
can't look after them.

After all they tell us a dog is for life not just for Christmas, why not children?

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > How can you leave children with anyone?[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > Hi,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > We landed from India few months back. We have 2 little sons. As we are[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > finding[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > it difficult to manage with 2 brats , we are thinking of leaving[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> > > younger one (16 months) in India with his grandparents.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Let us assume we leave him in india for about 3 yrs. What will be his status[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > after 3 yrs. In what category will he come back to Canada to[/usenetquote2]
join
[usenetquote2]> > > us.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Also, the child in question is a US citizen and not Indian citizen.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Please reply in this forum as my email address is bogus.[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old May 25th 2001, 3:30 am
Simson Alex

Kay, I suggest we move this discussion to private emails, if you wish to continue. We
may be an annoyance to most readers here.

To add some relevance to the newsgroup, I hope that I get my initial assessment from
Buffalo soon. Got my AOR last month. I applied in the independant category.

Kay Carbe wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

It is a different system, and uses a different state of mind. Distance does
not matter.

>
    >
    >

Yes, we are more similar that different.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Again, there seems to be elements of your (western) values, so can't be applied
universally. Say, your husband, two kids and you are one family unit. Everybody
within that unit have "family rights". For example, you can tuck your kid into bed,
or your husband can do it. Your elder kid can tuck your younger kid
in.Or, if you are sick (God forbid), your son can tuck you in, and so on. In
another world, the grandparents, parents and kids are one family "unit". There
is no difference (in family values) between a mother or grandfather doing this
tucking thing.

The studies you mentioned are based on statistics. There could be other studies
proving the contrary. That's the funny thing about statistics. I am reminded of a
quote:" There are lies, bigger lies and statistics" Have you seen news reports
about new studies which disprove studies done 5 years ago, which at that time had
disproved studies 10 year ago ?

>
    >
    >
    >

You mean, "if you can't provide for them". I hope you realize that "looking after
them" means different things in different cultures.

>
    >

I have no idea what that means. I can't see the connection. My mind is full of
statistics

Take care Simson

Old May 25th 2001, 6:29 am
Kay Carbe

I've said my piece.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Sorry for 2 postings I thought one hadn't posted.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I do appreciate different cultures/religions etc and am tolerant of[/usenetquote2]
others
[usenetquote2]> > as I wish them to be of me. I also appreciate that this is "normal" for Asian[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > families to let the grandparents care for the children, but to be[/usenetquote2]
in a
[usenetquote2]> > different country from the parents is not the same as being reared by[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > grandparents and still seeing parents.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Religions and cultures may and do vary and each to their own, but I[/usenetquote2]
would
[usenetquote2]> > have thought mothers worldwide would feel the same about their own[/usenetquote2]
children.
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Motherhood is a unique universal club that must surely have the same criteria[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > whoever and wherever you are. Studies have proved that the best thing you can[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ever do for your child is to spend the first 5 years at[/usenetquote2]
home
[usenetquote2]> > with them. Obviously this is not financially viable to a good deal of parents but[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > at least they can be there to tuck them into bed each night.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > That in itself is worth a million words.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I did not misinterpret the situation, I just feel that you don't have children if[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > you can't look after them.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > After all they tell us a dog is for life not just for Christmas, why not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > children?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 25th 2001, 10:18 am
Peter

Simson/Kay

I believe no parent would like to live apart from their children, whether Asians or
Caucasians. Those who did did so out of difficult life circumstances.

This is nothing to do with cultural differences(not an excuse). Maternal instincts
are universal. To every child, there's always a difference between parent and
grandparent.

I also doubted Simson's assertion that it is very common to leave a child with the
grandparents in the East. At least this is NOT TRUE in Chinese and many other East
Asian cultures I know.

We East Asians love our children as much as westerners, if not more.

Peter

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> How can you leave children with anyone?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]>> > Hi,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > We landed from India few months back. We have 2 little sons. As we are[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> finding[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > it difficult to manage with 2 brats , we are thinking of leaving the younger[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > one (16 months) in India with his grandparents.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > Let us assume we leave him in india for about 3 yrs. What will be his status[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > after 3 yrs. In what category will he come back to Canada to join us.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > Also, the child in question is a US citizen and not Indian citizen.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> > Please reply in this forum as my email address is bogus.[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Jun 1st 2001, 5:56 am
Calvin Lam

I tend to disagree with this generalization. Though it is common to have grandparents
help take care of the kids (in Singapore, at least), it is less common for kids to be
left at the grandparent's place for long. I have not known anyone back home (I am not
in Singapore now) that was brought up wholly by the grandparents.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > How can you leave children with anyone?[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > Hi,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > We landed from India few months back. We have 2 little sons. As we are[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > finding[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > it difficult to manage with 2 brats , we are thinking of leaving[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> > > younger one (16 months) in India with his grandparents.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Let us assume we leave him in india for about 3 yrs. What will be his status[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > after 3 yrs. In what category will he come back to Canada to[/usenetquote2]
join
[usenetquote2]> > > us.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Also, the child in question is a US citizen and not Indian citizen.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Please reply in this forum as my email address is bogus.[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Jun 1st 2001, 6:40 am
Simson Alex

Calvin Lam wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh Gosh! Neither have I. And that was not the point. My point was that under
situations where this had to be done, one wouldn't think of parents as being
irresponsible or as not being fit to be parents. I was pointing out the different
family-values in different cultures that needed to be appreciated.

Peace, S