Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Supervisa Fee for British Nationals

Supervisa Fee for British Nationals

Old Jun 10th 2023, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

CanVan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Supervisa Fee for British Nationals

My husband applied for a supervisa application for his father last year. After waiting 11 months, it has been rejected on the basis that the application fee was not paid. My husband recalls that during the online application process, the fee came up as $0 but the application was able to submitted online. We can't find any specific information about the supervisa fee for British nationals and want to ask if any BE members remember if they paid $100 or if they didn't have to pay any application fee? On the IRCC's website (sorry I can't post the URL as I'm a new member), we can see from the guidance posted for their staff that the visa-exempt foreign nationals are not required to pay the fee. We thought that British nationals are normally visa-exempt foreign nationals? The guidance says:

Visa-exempt foreign nationals: Applicants must submit the regular IMM 5257 visa application form, but are not required to pay the fee. If the officer is satisfied that the foreign national meets the requirements for a super visa, they should issue a letter of introduction (valid for 5 years or until passport expiry) and direct the client to apply for an electronic travel authorization (eTA), if applicable.
  • Fee exemption code: 999
If the officer is not satisfied that the eligibility criteria for the super visa are met and decides to refuse the application, they must enter in GCMS detailed reasons for the refusal, which should be related to the eligibility criteria stated in these instructions and the admissibility requirements of the IRPA.

In principle, an applicant who is refused a super visa can still apply for the V-1 TRV or an eTA if they meet the applicable legislative requirements.
Old Sep 13th 2023, 2:12 am
Just Joined

Minaay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Supervisa Fee for British Nationals

Hi, what was the outcome of this?
I have applied for my mums and we did not pay for the application fee either and now worried after reading your post.
Old Sep 13th 2023, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

There is still no outcome! Since getting the refusal, we submitted a letter in mid-June asking for reconsideration of the IRCC's decision on the basis that they were incorrect to refuse the application for non-payment of the fee since the application is from a British national. Other than an acknowledgment of receipt, we have heard nothing back after 3 months. It is now 14 months since we first submitted the application.

In the mean time, we have consulted a Canadian immigration lawyer who confirmed that it was an error on the part of IRCC to refuse my father in law's application and that what we wrote in the reconsideration letter was correct. He has introduced us to our local MP who wrote to the IRCC on our behalf about two weeks ago to inquire about the application. The IRCC agent confirmed that the reconsideration request had been received but other than that we and the MP's office have heard nothing more.
Old Sep 13th 2023, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Minaay is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh wow! Good luck and thank you for your reply. Do you think I should send in a webform stating that the fee was not paid as per guidelines set out? I really hope they don't refuse it

I hope yours getting sorted too! So frustrating and london takes forever in comparison to others!!
Old Sep 14th 2023, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

I wouldn't send anything extra via the webform unless you have to as it might just delay the process even more. I think my father in law was unlucky and his application went to an inexperienced agent. After all, how does the agent think you could submit the online application unless you have paid the required fee? And the refusal letter has no other reasons for refusal of the supervisa application other than non-payment of the fee. I don't think there is anywhere in the world that takes longer than London to process a visitor visa. As mentioned, we have been waiting for 14 months so we are hoping it will be dealt with soon!