Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Successful PNP - Work permit application and biometrics?

Successful PNP - Work permit application and biometrics?

Old Jun 2nd 2020, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

TomScott50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Successful PNP - Work permit application and biometrics?

Hi all,

Has anyone applied for a work permit yet after being approved for a PNP nomination? I've just been approved for Newfoundland after being offered a job by a pickup truck dealership which is great news. I've been told the next steps for me are to apply for a work permit and I've been trying to work out how to do that for the last hour or so!

Reading all the information on the CIC website and the information I was sent, I created a GRCC account and went through the steps to start an application. It said that I can apply for EE but no mention of work permit that I can see? In the email I received confirming my PNP nomination they explained that I need to send in a paper application for PR anyway so don't think I even need that option in the online portal.

Does anyone know how to apply, or has gone through the process recently, for a work permit at the moment? I seem to keep going round in circles!
Secondly, does anyone know if the VAC in London still processing biometrics at all? As I think I'm going to need them - it's not clear on their website either!

Hopefully these aren't silly questions, thanks in advance!
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 9:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Successful PNP - Work permit application and biometrics?

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/a...options=2c_iii

HTH.
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, that's a really useful reference to the docs and info I need to complete my application and not one I'd found up to now.

Clicking on the 'how to apply button' however, takes me to this page - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ary/apply.html which tells me to apply online and was the process I followed earlier?

It all keeps saying to apply online, but I can't seem to work out how to once I've created an account in the portal? I've emailed my contact in the provincial government, but I'm expecting that she won't be able to help with the federal aspect, as she already mentioned that in her last email. Hopefully she might be able to reply tomorrow with some more information or who to contact maybe.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 8:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TomScott50
Thanks, that's a really useful reference to the docs and info I need to complete my application and not one I'd found up to now.

Clicking on the 'how to apply button' however, takes me to this page - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ary/apply.html which tells me to apply online and was the process I followed earlier?

It all keeps saying to apply online, but I can't seem to work out how to once I've created an account in the portal? I've emailed my contact in the provincial government, but I'm expecting that she won't be able to help with the federal aspect, as she already mentioned that in her last email. Hopefully she might be able to reply tomorrow with some more information or who to contact maybe.
Have you got everything mentioned in that link i.e. your employer has paid the compliance fee, you've got the job offer support letter etc?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 3rd 2020 at 8:54 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Not just yet, I was hoping to get all my bits together and ready so when I get it I'm ready to go and I know what to do. I received my confirmation of nomination last night, and I was CC'd into the email that was sent to my new employer last night too, detailing what they need to do and the information that they need get for me.
I'm keen to keep this on track if possible - I was offered the job just before Christmas and actually put my application in to the NL office in January, they then were a bit behind and by the time they started looking at it Corona hit and it's taken since then to get my PNP nomination. My new employer is pretty keen to keep this moving too - he's keeping the job open for me, but obviously needs someone and the longer it takes the worse it is, hence wanting to make sure I've got everything ready as best as possible.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 9:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Not just yet, I was hoping to get all my bits together and ready so when I get it I'm ready to go and I know what to do. I received my confirmation of nomination last night, and I was CC'd into the email that was sent to my new employer last night too, detailing what they need to do and the information that they need get for me.
I'm keen to keep this on track if possible - I was offered the job just before Christmas and actually put my application in to the NL office in January, they then were a bit behind and by the time they started looking at it Corona hit and it's taken since then to get my PNP nomination. My new employer is pretty keen to keep this moving too - he's keeping the job open for me, but obviously needs someone and the longer it takes the worse it is, hence wanting to make sure I've got everything ready as best as possible.
OK, so that's why the work permit isn't coming up as an option, you're not eligible for one at the moment without the offer of employment number etc.

So get your employer on the case, hopefully they can sort it fairly quickly and then you can apply. You could also apply at the POE to save time once you've got everything (Covid rules dependent, obviously, not possible at the moment).

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 3rd 2020 at 9:28 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Ah so that makes a bit of sense. I was hoping to be able to start my application and fill out all of my information and just be left with putting in the employment numbers and stuff. Ah well, I'll collect it all and I've got an offline form so I know what I need. I've got most of it already tho, as it seems its pretty much the same info I gave for the PNP application.

Any ideas about the biometrics? Are they still processing them at the VAC in London, as I'm pretty sure I'm going to need them for a work permit?
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 10:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Any ideas about the biometrics? Are they still processing them at the VAC in London, as I'm pretty sure I'm going to need them for a work permit?
You will need biometrics. Afraid the VAC in London is closed at the mo, you can keep an eye on that status on this page - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/inform...biometrics.asp
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Damn... so I still can't get my work permit anyway until they reopen the VAC?

God knows when that will be, but there must be a way surely, as they have said that they are accepting you if you've got a work permit?! Hopefully I'll get a reply today from the NL immigration office with some guidance.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 4:27 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Damn... so I still can't get my work permit anyway until they reopen the VAC?

God knows when that will be, but there must be a way surely, as they have said that they are accepting you if you've got a work permit?! Hopefully I'll get a reply today from the NL immigration office with some guidance.
Did you see this on the link that Christmasoompa gave you? Once you have all the documentation gathered and are ready to fly out - presuming you can apply at the Port of Entry for your Work Permit......... it would appear you may be able to get the biometrics done on entry!
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/inform...biometrics.asp
You cannot give your biometrics at a Canadian port of entry (POE) unless you meet these 2 requirements:
  • you’re eligible to apply for a study permit or work permit at a POE
  • you start and finish your application at the POE
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Did you see this on the link that Christmasoompa gave you? Once you have all the documentation gathered and are ready to fly out - presuming you can apply at the Port of Entry for your Work Permit......... it would appear you may be able to get the biometrics done on entry!
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/inform...biometrics.asp
I missed that! I just went and searched straight for the UK, assuming that I'd have to do it before hand... So perhaps all is not lost!

So I'll be able to fill out all the work permit forms here with all the information from my employer and get the work permit at the PoE? Isn't that the normal way after PNP nomination anyway - once you are approved you just get your work permit at the PoE? In which case, should be thinking about flights?

*Edited to add - I'm sure that I've been told that I won't be able to board a flight to Canada without a work permit in hand? Can anyone confirm or deny this? As this will have an impact on if I can get the permit at the PoE or not I suppose.

Please forgive all the questions, I've read so much about this it's hard to keep track of all the different pieces of information... so many different things to think of, some important, some not...

Last edited by TomScott50; Jun 3rd 2020 at 6:19 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I missed that! I just went and searched straight for the UK, assuming that I'd have to do it before hand... So perhaps all is not lost!

So I'll be able to fill out all the work permit forms here with all the information from my employer and get the work permit at the PoE? Isn't that the normal way after PNP nomination anyway - once you are approved you just get your work permit at the PoE? In which case, should be thinking about flights?

*Edited to add - I'm sure that I've been told that I won't be able to board a flight to Canada without a work permit in hand? Can anyone confirm or deny this? As this will have an impact on if I can get the permit at the PoE or not I suppose.

Please forgive all the questions, I've read so much about this it's hard to keep track of all the different pieces of information... so many different things to think of, some important, some not...
Depends on when you are thinking of flying to Canada and what procedures are in place. Pointless booking a flight if Canada won't let you in or the airline refuse to board you.

In the link below these are the latest Canadian rules for those not arriving from the USA. you really need to read the whole link paragraphs that pertain to you

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...advice.html#a3
Old Jun 4th 2020, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Depends on when you are thinking of flying to Canada and what procedures are in place. Pointless booking a flight if Canada won't let you in or the airline refuse to board you.

In the link below these are the latest Canadian rules for those not arriving from the USA. you really need to read the whole link paragraphs that pertain to you

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...advice.html#a3
Thanks, another good source, been trying to read everything and keep track of it all, and it ain't easy at the moment!

And sorry, I probably used the wrong wording when I said I need to be thinking about flights - I wasn't thinking about booking flights, as we aren't there yet, but more about whether or not I can even get on one, let alone book it!
Old Jun 7th 2020, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OK, so that's why the work permit isn't coming up as an option, you're not eligible for one at the moment without the offer of employment number etc.

So get your employer on the case, hopefully they can sort it fairly quickly and then you can apply. You could also apply at the POE to save time once you've got everything (Covid rules dependent, obviously, not possible at the moment).

HTH.
So after much hunting around and trying to figure things out on Saturday I managed to work it out. The crucial piece of information that I was missing and wasn't mentioned anywhere was that when I was creating my online application I had to click 'Temporary - More than 6 months' as the answer to 'How long are you planning to stay'. I had been selecting Permanently (as to me that was the logical answer to that question) which meant that it set me up with an EE application. The end result of the correct option was Foreign Worker (Visa Not Required) and it then gave me the bits I need for my work permit application. I then spent the rest of the day going through all the information required and gathering most of it, just a couple of bits I need to ask my current employer for. Now all I need is my job offer support letter from my Canadian employer and I should be all set.

Then just gotta figure out how to sort the biometrics, but looking online there is a tentative date of 1st July for easing of travel restrictions, so maybe I'll be able to do it at the border.

Thanks for the help everyone