study visas or not?

Old Jan 29th 2012, 11:36 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default study visas or not?

My husband and I are currently working in Canada with TWP, we arrived 4 years ago and recently got our 2nd TWPs that last until 2014. When we initially arrived in 2008, to save anxiety, we got study permits for our children. We know that they arent necessary as we have TWPs and they are in primary and secondary education. So we didnt renew them when we renewed our TWPs.

Now we are renewing 3 children's passports as they expire in May and we are hoping to return to the UK for a visit in late summer.

I want to know what paperwork our children require.

- Do they need study permits to exit and re-enter Canada?
- Do they need no visa per se as their father is a principle TWP holder? So their status is understood/implied?

I am slightly freaking out
Old Jan 29th 2012, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: study visas or not?

The children do not need study permits or visas.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-minors.asp

In some cases, minor children do not need a study permit to study in Canada. These cases include:
- minor children attending kindergarten;
- minor children who are refugees or refugee claimants, or whose parents are refugees or refugee claimants; and
- minor children who are already in Canada with parents who are allowed to work or study in Canada, and who want to attend pre-school, primary or secondary school.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...work/index.asp

Your spouse or common-law partner and children can come with you to Canada or visit you in Canada, but they must meet all the requirements for temporary residents to Canada: they must satisfy an officer that they will only stay in Canada temporarily, and they may have to prove that they have no criminal record. If your spouse or common-law partner and children need temporary resident visas, they must also meet all the conditions for obtaining those visas.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 29th 2012 at 3:42 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 3:17 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I cant help but worry about this, sorry - but you are sure they dont need any form of paperwork or stamp in their passports to justify their being here?

In NZ I think they did have a visa to be there (cant actually remember now).

So if we leave and return, as long as the principle TWP is in date etc, we will be allowed to return without any further documents for the children.

Old Jan 29th 2012, 6:15 pm
NS covern member #1

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
The children do not need study permits or visas.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-minors.asp

In some cases, minor children do not need a study permit to study in Canada. These cases include:
- minor children attending kindergarten;
- minor children who are refugees or refugee claimants, or whose parents are refugees or refugee claimants; and
- minor children who are already in Canada with parents who are allowed to work or study in Canada, and who want to attend pre-school, primary or secondary school.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...work/index.asp

Your spouse or common-law partner and children can come with you to Canada or visit you in Canada, but they must meet all the requirements for temporary residents to Canada: they must satisfy an officer that they will only stay in Canada temporarily, and they may have to prove that they have no criminal record. If your spouse or common-law partner and children need temporary resident visas, they must also meet all the conditions for obtaining those visas.
I truly appreciate your time and effort in this!

I think because so much feels like it is at stake, I often misunderstand what is on the website and feel there is a level of interpretation.

For instance - what is a temporary resident visa, is this something they should need?
Old Jan 29th 2012, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Accompanying family members are normally documented based on the principal applicants status in this case a TWP.
Where a passport expires before the principal applicants status expires then a simple renewal of the passport and an extension of documents issued to the other family members by CPC Vegreville is normally all that is required.
If they are citizens of the UK then no visa is required. Its the term visa that is sometimes misused that cause misunderstanding.
A visa is basically a counterfoil document that is put in a passport for a person coming from a country that require a visa (TRV) to enter Canada.
Work Permits, Study Permits and Visitor Records are NOT visas.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 11:31 pm
NS covern member #1

sorry my use of the word visa is wrong, but I simply mean is there a document that we need apply for for our children.

I cant see that there is, other than the study permit, which they dont need according to the information that MarylandNed gave me.

I'm a nervous nelly and there aren't physical offices to walk into and speak to someone, which is infuriating!

so to be clear, and feel free to tell me to shut up and get the message, but if my husband and I are here on TWP, our 3 children do not require a permit of any kind as they are here with us.

Old Jan 30th 2012, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy2
sorry my use of the word visa is wrong, but I simply mean is there a document that we need apply for for our children.

I cant see that there is, other than the study permit, which they dont need according to the information that MarylandNed gave me.

I'm a nervous nelly and there aren't physical offices to walk into and speak to someone, which is infuriating!

so to be clear, and feel free to tell me to shut up and get the message, but if my husband and I are here on TWP, our 3 children do not require a permit of any kind as they are here with us.

To put your mind at rest, call the CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency):

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/contact/general-generaux-eng.html

I've called them before with questions and they've been friendly and helpful.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy2

As you are here on a TWP then that is sufficient for your children. As their passports are being renewed then all they need is their status extending and you can do that either through CPC Vegreville or when re entering Canada from the UK vacation ask CBSA to issue a new Visitor Record for your kids.
As long as you have copies of the work permit with you showing when they expire then it shouldnt be a problem. Just explain that the kids passports expired prior to the TWP and they need new Visitor Records.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...vegreville.asp