Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Study Permits - whilst on Work Permit

Wikiposts

Study Permits - whilst on Work Permit

Old Mar 28th 2007, 5:13 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Study Permits - whilst on Work Permit

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
SO I'm reading that as saying IF Phil has a WP the kids DONT need a study permit? Everybody agree?
That's how I see it.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
SO I'm reading that as saying IF Phil has a WP the kids DONT need a study permit? Everybody agree?
Hi BC and Steve P

This is how I read it - Phil's WP gets them the right to an education just like any other PR.

But what is this "determination" thing does mean that the school district still has the right to refuse them schooling ?

Sorry - I tend to look too deeply into things and Andrew Miller has said on one of the earlier posts that I should get them.

Gaynor

(now banging head on wall - just to rattle the brain :curse: < me with a sore head)
Old Mar 28th 2007, 6:20 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hi BC and Steve P

This is how I read it - Phil's WP gets them the right to an education just like any other PR.

But what is this "determination" thing does mean that the school district still has the right to refuse them schooling ?

Sorry - I tend to look too deeply into things and Andrew Miller has said on one of the earlier posts that I should get them.

Gaynor

(now banging head on wall - just to rattle the brain :curse: < me with a sore head)

Gay,

As I read it 'determination' is a decision as to which is the best (and closest) school for the child (also is the child doesnt have english as a first language then the district will test there english language skills and use this to help decide on the school).

Butch
Old Mar 28th 2007, 6:22 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I'd just like to get anything out of London CIC...work permit, study permit....a response....an acknowledgement of receipt......sign of life ?!?!?!?!?
Old Mar 28th 2007, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I'd just like to get anything out of London CIC...work permit, study permit....a response....an acknowledgement of receipt......sign of life ?!?!?!?!?
oh Tangram

I really feel for you hun Must be terrible

Gay
x

ps just realised that is not the comment for a lady to make when Butch and Steve P are around
Old Mar 28th 2007, 9:45 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Correct, but they didn't notice....
Charlie
Old Mar 29th 2007, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

mandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to behold
Cool Re: Study Permits - whilst on Work Permit

oh Tangram

I really feel for you hun Must be terrible

Gay
x

ps just realised that is not the comment for a lady to make when Butch and Steve P are around

Mandi x
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

Since posting this thread it says on the Calgary Education website that WP holders minor kids don't need one - and am presuming it will be the same for the town in Southern Alberta I am going to.

Why buy one if the education department dont want one ?

Seems to be conflicting information where ever I turn

Gaynor

Hi Gaynor

Could you please send this link as I can't find one?

Gryphea
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:45 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
Could you please send this link as I can't find one?
It's possible that Gay is referring to the BE Wiki article on Calgary Schooling.

I authored that article. I have phoned the Calgary Board of Education at least three times about that issue. I've also phoned the Calgary Catholic School District, the Rockyview School Division (into which Cochrane falls), and Foothills School Division (into which Okotoks falls).

All four of those school divisions have said the same thing, namely, that they automatically accept the children of work permit holders, that children of work permit holders do not require student visas, and that they provide the same close-to-free education to children of work permit holders that they provide to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.

By the way, they also automatically accept and provide close-to-free schooling to the child of a student visa holder who is doing a university course.

In the Wiki article on Calgary schooling, I listed the documents that the parent has to provide upon registering a child, and a student visa is not one of the required documents.

But this is something that differs from school board to school board. I did say in the BE Wiki article on Canadian Schooling that different school boards treat children of work permit holders in different ways.

The most important difference, that a parent would feel in his/her wallet, is that some government-funded school boards in Canada regard children of work permit holders as foreign students and charge them tuition amounting to about C$10,000 per student per year.

I will now go to the Calgary schooling article and clarify that the information is for Calgary, Cochrane and Okotoks only and that people going to other school jurisdictions need to check on the situation in those jurisdictions.

Insofar as the Calgary Board of Education is concerned, the Admissions & Multicultural Services page of their website states that they accept students who are, quote:
  • from other provinces and abroad
  • immigrants
  • children of individuals who are lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent or temporary residence, or non-residents
  • international exchange and international fee-paying students

Edited to add that, notwithstanding what the Calgary Board of Education states on its website, school board officials have given me a couple of additional bits of information when I have spoken to them on the phone. I shared those bits in the Wiki article on Calgary schooling. For example, I find it rather curious that, in the case of work permit holders, they treat only birth children of WP holders, and not adopted children of WP holders, the same as Canadian residents. At least two different people from CBE have told me that. I am gobsmacked that legally adopted children can be treated differently from birth children.

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Apr 30th 2007 at 8:29 am. Reason: Birth children of WP holders.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
It's possible that Gay is referring to the BE Wiki article on Calgary Schooling.

I authored that article. I have phoned the Calgary Board of Education at least three times about that issue. I've also phoned the Calgary Catholic School District, the Rockyview School Division (into which Cochrane falls), and Foothills School Division (into which Okotoks falls).

All four of those school divisions have said the same thing, namely, that they automatically accept the children of work permit holders, that children of work permit holders do not require student visas, and that they provide the same close-to-free education to children of work permit holders that they provide to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.

By the way, they also automatically accept and provide close-to-free schooling to the child of a student visa holder who is doing a university course.

In the Wiki article on Calgary schooling, I listed the documents that the parent has to provide upon registering a child, and a student visa is not one of the required documents.

But this is something that differs from school board to school board. I did say in the BE Wiki article on Canadian Schooling that different school boards treat children of work permit holders in different ways.

The most important difference, that a parent would feel in his/her wallet, is that some government-funded school boards in Canada regard children of work permit holders as foreign students and charge them tuition amounting to about C$10,000 per student per year.

I will now go to the Calgary schooling article and clarify that the information is for Calgary, Cochrane and Okotoks only and that people going to other school jurisdictions need to check on the situation in those jurisdictions.

Insofar as the Calgary Board of Education is concerned, the Admissions & Multicultural Services page of their website states that they accept students who are, quote:
  • immigrants
  • children of individuals who are lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent or temporary residence, or non-residents

Edited to add that, notwithstanding what the Calgary Board of Education states on its website, school board officials have given me a couple of additional bits of information when I have spoken to them on the phone. I shared those bits in the Wiki article on Calgary schooling. For example, I found it rather curious that, in the case of work permit holders, they treat only birth children of WP holders, and not adopted children of WP holders, the same as Canadian residents. At least two different people from CBE have told me that.
For Alberta if a child is a PR or the child of a WP holder they do not need a study permit - had this clarified by the lawyer

Gaynor
x
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:41 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

For Alberta if a child is a PR or the child of a WP holder they do not need a study permit - had this clarified by the lawyer
Thanks for the confirmation, Gay. I made another small tweak to the Wiki article to clarify that point.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Judy

Everything I have read seems to point to no study permits being required, I guess I just got worried by everyone on here applying for them!!! I did read your article and it bascially said what I thought to be the case!

Luckily our children are our birth children and that is quite strange!

Gryphea

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary

• immigrants

Edited to add that, notwithstanding what the Calgary Board of Education states on its website, school board officials have given me a couple of additional bits of information when I have spoken to them on the phone. I shared those bits in the Wiki article on Calgary schooling. For example, I find it rather curious that, in the case of work permit holders, they treat only birth children of WP holders, and not adopted children of WP holders, the same as Canadian residents. At least two different people from CBE have told me that. I am gobsmacked that legally adopted children can be treated differently from birth children.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Brill

Thanks Gaynor!

Gryphea

Gaynor
x
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold

We got work permit at port of entry calgary and our child goes playschool here and due to start Kindergarten in Sept. We were told by the immigration officer that we did not need a study permit. She printed on hubbies WP and also my visitors visa that she was accompanying us and is entitled to go to school.
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

donwauchope has a brilliant futuredonwauchope has a brilliant futuredonwauchope has a brilliant futuredonwauchope has a brilliant futuredonwauchope has a brilliant futuredonwauchope has a brilliant future

I visited 3 schools on my trip to Canada 2 weeks back. All the schools on the Halton District School Board have asked to see my WP. Not interested in study permits for the children. It does however say on the covering letter with the WP authorization that I should apply for study permits for the children when I get to Canada.
All very confusing. My plan is to arrive, get them into school and if the school want study permits I will then go and apply for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.