study permit questions

Old Apr 11th 2013, 5:53 am
Just Joined

Tyketen is an unknown quantity at this point
Question study permit questions

hi there,

I am applying for a study permit and would like to know if I need to show personal funds for myself. I am being sponsored by my parents and I am married with a toddler. My family will be accompanying me. Just a brief insight into my background: I have a masters in Clinical Nutrition and my proposed course of study is a diploma in hotel management (parents have 2 businesses I am meant to manage once finished), I do not have work experience in clinical nutrition or dietetics but I grew up working in my dad's company and managed his bakery (with 20 staff) for a year. I also currently hold a 3 year work permit for the UK. Any information will be most appreciated.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Ernie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant future
Default Re: study permit questions

Hi Tyketen

I have just applied for a study permit myself.

First of all read through this guide: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...s/5269ETOC.asp

You must show that you have access to liquid funds according to the following (Quebec is different):
- Enough Money to cover your tuition for a 12 month period (Contact the school to find out how much that will be).
- At least $10,000 to support yourself over that 12 month period.
- An additional $4,000 for the first family member.
- An additional $3,000 for each family member in addition to the first.

Complete details are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/s...-documents.asp

For example the course I'm pursuing costs $34,000 for 12 months which I paid upfront and I submitted a statement of account to CIC from the University showing that. And I submitted a copy a bank draft in cleared $$ funds made out to myself for $15,000. I showed 15,000 rather than 10,000 just for safety and will deposit the draft into my Canadian bank account on arrival.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 10:13 am
Just Joined

thanks Ernie-wise. I have paid the half of the first year's tuition and I will include the receipt. I do not have £16,000 immediately available which is the total I will need for a year but my Dad has these funds in his account. Could I not just show his bank statements instead? I will also include personal funds in my account but it is no where near £16k
Old Apr 11th 2013, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Ernie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant future

The guide in the second link is very detailed and holds the answer to most questions. However, you have to show at least the total amount calculated and proof of funds can include any of the following:

- proof of a Canadian bank account in your name if money has been transferred to Canada;
- proof of a student/education loan from a financial institution;
- your bank statements for the past four months;
- a bank draft in convertible currency;
- proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees;
- a letter from the person or institution providing you with money;
- proof of funding paid from within Canada if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program.

I'd suggest you consider the chances of obtaining a permit since I have seen quite a few people refused on other forums because their choice of course is not consistent with their past education and career experience. I'm no expert but I do wonder how CIC would interpret Clinical Nutrition Masters>Hotel Management Diploma. Also it's worth noting that I believe the chances of visa success may be reduced considering that a Diploma is lower in the education hierarchy than a Masters, generally I believe that you are expected to expand upon or advance your existing education. Again, I'm no expert and my advice is sourced from anecdotal evidence only.

Last edited by Ernie_wise; Apr 11th 2013 at 1:37 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

thanks again Ernie-wise. I know a diploma is lower but it is necessary to manage my dad's hotel business as my main aim is to learn current applicable practice in the field. I have diversified since gaining my masters and now work in project management and administration. you are right they do need to see a progression in not just studies but also career. I am hoping that the years worked in my parents establishments plus my project management certification and experience should count for something. I have copies of company registration documents and communications between my self and our business partners etc to show as proof. I have also written a study plan that hopefully paints a progressive picture. My real worry though is in the area of personal finance. we do have assets that will be sold once we have the permit so I was thinking of maybe getting a bank draft of $10,000 with a letter stating our assets and their current market value (£6,500) but I don't know if this will be acceptable.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Read section 7.7 of this manual re financial sufficiency
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op12-eng.pdf
Old Apr 11th 2013, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Read section 7.7 of this manual re financial sufficiency
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op12-eng.pdf
I wish I'd seen that manual before I did my application!! Looks like a goldmine if information!
Old Apr 11th 2013, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Tyketen

If you can show career progression culminating towards hotel management then I think that you have a stronger case. For instance my undergraduate degree is in Electronic Engineering and unrelated to my proposed study (MBA). But in the 8 years since graduating I have transitioned from an engineering focused role into a commercial role whereby I now manage the European branch of a Canadian engineering company. Hence my application to do a Masters of Business Administration In Canada shows clearly why 1. I want to do an MBA and 2. Why I want to do it in Canada... 2 is actually an important point because the CIC person will ask themselves why you want to do your course in Canada and why you can't do it in your home country?

I think you may be reducing your probability of success with regards to the money. Presumably liquid funds that are indisputably your own offer the best chance of an application being approved on that front, so you need to leave the officer in no doubt that you have access to the money... But again, I'm no expert and I bet someone somewhere has succeeded in obtaining a study permit with less proof..

Last edited by Ernie_wise; Apr 11th 2013 at 3:58 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the link former Lancastrian. I wasn't too sure though as the wording isn't very clear but I'll play it safe and somehow show funds enough for the first year.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

You mentioned that you're in the UK on a work permit so presumably you're not from Europe? Because paragraph 3 on page 37 Section 7.7 in the document provided by Former Lancastrian just caught my eye. It basically says that depending on your socio-economic background the burden or proof may be raised or lowered accordingly. That's worth thinking about when you prepare your documents, depending on your country of origin.