study permit and POE!!!

Old Feb 18th 2008, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

mohamud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default study permit and POE!!!

Hi

I am a international graduate student in canada. i have my TRV and study permit valid till october 2008. i will be completing my masters in May and will be continuing phD from september 2008 only. in summer i will not be a registered full-time student at the university. i wish to go back home for three months (june-july-august). and return back at the end of august
will there be any problem at the POE while returning back in the condition that my TRV and old study permit has two more months of validity. Once i get back to canada i will extend my permit.

Any ideas will be highly appreciated.
thanks
Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

carolinedraper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: study permit and POE!!!

When my study permit was near expiry I was advised to re apply for an extension 3 months before it expired otherwise POE could have become an issue. POE regardless of whether you have been granted a right to be in Canada is up to the Immigration person on the desk when you enter - they have the right to turn you away if they believe that you will stay beyond your entitlement.

If your Study Visa is at least in the system for being updated then POE should be much easier as a clear course of traceability and study plan can be seen on the computer at the POE.

You normally have to apply for an extension from within Canada and so in your circumstance as you will be outside of Canada when you near the 3 month mark I would phone Immigration at Ottawa and explain to them.

Whenever I needed to ask them questions they have always been more then helpful. They are not there to make your life a hassle but to help you avoid any pitfulls - as it was explained to me "they would rather I phoned up and did it right, then do it wrong and cause them paper work".
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

mohamud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: study permit and POE!!!

thanks caroline

I will definitely call them and see what they have to say.

Is it okey if i take a letter from the university to show them at the port that i am coming back to join my studies

help appreciated