Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Study permit for me, open work permit for my husband-help!

Study permit for me, open work permit for my husband-help!

Old Sep 1st 2016, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

KateRH82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Study permit for me, open work permit for my husband-help!

Hi all,

Hoping you guys can give me some advice please...

My husband and I want to eventually emigrate to BC. We have been advised (and seems to makes sense) to apply for a study permit for me as a) I can get over there asap, b) I have experience in Management but no qualifications so a diploma will give me the edge and c) my husband would also be given an open work permit for the same period of time. We can then address the EE option for permanent residency when the time comes.
Now, when I go onto CIC to apply for my study permit I can apply for my husbands work permit all at the same time as 1 application. However, the consultant I saw advised me to apply on my own and then 'change my mind' a few months down the line and say I now want my husband to join me. Can anyone help me to understand why without charging me £7k!?
I understand that we need to make Immigration comfortable that we will return to the UK, but is this really the right approach to make this happen? Is having a home and other family back in the UK not enough to demonstrate this? And will they not 'smell a rat' when I suddenly change my mind?
We would never overstay our visa-is that all they want to be assured of? Or do they want to hear that we're not even contemplating emigrating and only want to study??

I hope my question makes sense. Any advice anyone can offer us would be much appreciated!
Kate

Last edited by KateRH82; Sep 1st 2016 at 5:38 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Study permit for me, open work permit for my husband-help!

Applying for a study permit is pretty straight forward and I suggest you use this link to see what is required
Study in Canada

Once the study permit has been approved and you receive a confirmation letter then getting the open work permit at the Port of Entry is the way to go. Simply accompany the person getting the study permit and while they are being issued the actual study permit request the spousal open work permit and pay the $100 processing fee and the $155 for the work permit and thats it.

As for getting PR at a later date worry about that at a later date as it looks like there will be new changes to the Immigration Act so by the time its time to apply Im pretty sure the rules of doing it then will not be the same as today.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 6:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KateRH82
Now, when I go onto CIC to apply for my study permit I can apply for my husbands work permit all at the same time as 1 application. However, the consultant I saw advised me to apply on my own and then 'change my mind' a few months down the line and say I now want my husband to join me. Can anyone help me to understand why without charging me £7k!?
£7k?!? For a study permit app?!? Jeez. That's absolutely ridiculous, even a full PR app for a family is normally only around £4-5k so how on earth they're justifying proposing charging you that for something you can just turn up to the airport and get (as FL has said above) I've no idea.

But the consultants advice is also very odd, you would just apply for your hubby's SOWP at the same time as yours, and in fact if you didn't declare him on our app it could be construed as misrepresentation and land you in a lot of hot water. Daft advice, completely ignore it!

We would never overstay our visa-is that all they want to be assured of? Or do they want to hear that we're not even contemplating emigrating and only want to study??
For a study permit you're not supposed to be planning on staying (although of course many do), so you need to show that you intend to return to the UK.

One last thing I would mention, is that IMO a diploma is unlikely to give you 'the edge' when applying for jobs in Canada, as a degree seems to be the minimum required for every job there, even admin jobs! So if you can do a degree rather than a diploma it might be an idea?

HTH, best of luck.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

As well as demonstrating intent to return to UK in the form of UK ties also need to demonstrate any course is relevant to either existing qualifications or work experience and what as a result of attending such a course career aspirations are following graduation, so no random courses.

Also as you have probably read you need a college offer upfront for the application plus be prepared to show can meet international fees approx 25-30k CDN per year tuition and living. Checkout post grad work permits as well which are influenced by the course duration.

Apologies if quoting the obvious facts OP already knows.

Last edited by PB65; Sep 2nd 2016 at 6:47 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 11:27 am
Just Joined

PB65-Thanks a lot! Nothing obvious there as we're still new to this and trying to find out everything!
The course directly relates to my profession/career for the last 4years, so happy with that. I've applied to college and just waiting for response. We also have enough £ in the savings to show we can support ourselves, pay tuition and pay for flights home!

So, as long as we can show we both have ties to home, we should be ok?(I know you can't really answer that haha!) I think we shouldn't even mention our interest in PR then-instead, focus on the study period and that we'll be looking to return to the UK once complete? I just don't see how applying separately will help-do they HAVE to give my hubby OWP if I'm studying (if I was to go on my own and then 'change my mind') or could they still refuse him at that point, even if I'm part way through the course?

Last edited by KateRH82; Sep 2nd 2016 at 11:36 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
£7k?!? For a study permit app?!? Jeez. That's absolutely ridiculous, even a full PR app for a family is normally only around £4-5k so how on earth they're justifying proposing charging you that for something you can just turn up to the airport and get (as FL has said above) I've no idea.

But the consultants advice is also very odd, you would just apply for your hubby's SOWP at the same time as yours, and in fact if you didn't declare him on our app it could be construed as misrepresentation and land you in a lot of hot water. Daft advice, completely ignore it!

For a study permit you're not supposed to be planning on staying (although of course many do), so you need to show that you intend to return to the UK.

One last thing I would mention, is that IMO a diploma is unlikely to give you 'the edge' when applying for jobs in Canada, as a degree seems to be the minimum required for every job there, even admin jobs! So if you can do a degree rather than a diploma it might be an idea?

HTH, best of luck.
I know! £7k!! 😳
Yes, I thought the same thing about applying separately..it just seems more suspect to me!? I have booked another consultation next week with a different company and she has said the same thing! When I finally find out why I'll let you all know, because it's got me scratching my head!
You're totally right about the diploma-I just meant to say that I'd be more qualified than I am now...but good advice about the degree...I'll get my thinking cap on about that.
Thank you!!!!

Last edited by KateRH82; Sep 2nd 2016 at 11:33 am. Reason: Missed a bit...
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Applying for a study permit is pretty straight forward and I suggest you use this link to see what is required
Study in Canada

Once the study permit has been approved and you receive a confirmation letter then getting the open work permit at the Port of Entry is the way to go. Simply accompany the person getting the study permit and while they are being issued the actual study permit request the spousal open work permit and pay the $100 processing fee and the $155 for the work permit and thats it.

As for getting PR at a later date worry about that at a later date as it looks like there will be new changes to the Immigration Act so by the time its time to apply Im pretty sure the rules of doing it then will not be the same as today.
Thanks for the advice! I think you're right about PR-just concentrate on this part and cross that bridge when we get to it. It's unlikely, but we could change our minds before then anyway! I might get homesick! 😳
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 5:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Please make sure that the college / uni is on the approved/designated list, else you won't be granted a study permit.

Apply for the study permit, include that your husband will be coming with you.

Get to the airport in Canada, validate your letter of introduction and ask for an open work permit for your husband. Help your spouse or common-law partner work in Canada
Your spouse or common-law partner may apply for a work permit if:

you are a full-time student at:
a public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university or collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec
a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution, and receives at least 50 percent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently, only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify) or
a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees
you have a valid study permit
If you do a degree course, look at the Post Grad work permits too!

Get a study permit

You can get help in filling out the forms (if you need it) from the VAC, by the way - absolutely no reason to hire an Immigration Consultant for this!

Old Sep 3rd 2016, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Please make sure that the college / uni is on the approved/designated list, else you won't be granted a study permit.

Apply for the study permit, include that your husband will be coming with you.

Get to the airport in Canada, validate your letter of introduction and ask for an open work permit for your husband. Help your spouse or common-law partner work in Canada
Your spouse or common-law partner may apply for a work permit if:

you are a full-time student at:
a public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university or collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec
a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution, and receives at least 50 percent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently, only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify) or
a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees
you have a valid study permit
If you do a degree course, look at the Post Grad work permits too!

Get a study permit

You can get help in filling out the forms (if you need it) from the VAC, by the way - absolutely no reason to hire an Immigration Consultant for this!

Thank you so much for your help!! The college is on the list, so I'm heading in the right direction 😊
Why do we ask for his work permit at the airport? Will I not be applying for that when I apply for my study permit?
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for your help!! The college is on the list, so I'm heading in the right direction 😊
Why do we ask for his work permit at the airport? Will I not be applying for that when I apply for my study permit?
You will apply for the study permit at your local overseas visa office and once accepted they will issue a letter of acceptance. If visa exempt citizens (UK) then they can apply for the open work permit at the POE rather than applying at the visa office which is much quicker and no forms to fill out. The study permit is actually issued at the POE once you hand over the acceptance letter.
KISS.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

You will apply for the study permit at your local overseas visa office and once accepted they will issue a letter of acceptance. If visa exempt citizens (UK) then they can apply for the open work permit at the POE rather than applying at the visa office which is much quicker and no forms to fill out. The study permit is actually issued at the POE once you hand over the acceptance letter.
KISS.
Ahhhh I see. Ok, thank you!! I will read up some more! 😊
Old Nov 1st 2016, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

GMcD1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

KISS.
Hi there, how are you getting on with your application for a study permit? Was there any update on your progress? My boyfriend has just been offered his place on a course and we hope to do the same in the next few months, with me getting the OWP, so it would be great to hear from someone who has gone through the process?

Thanks
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 7:05 am
Just Joined

Hey!
I'm no further yet, in fact you're further than me! 😊
Did you apply on the same application or separately?
Old Nov 4th 2016, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

GMcD1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey!
I'm no further yet, in fact you're further than me! 😊
Did you apply on the same application or separately?
Ah I see, well currently I am not planning to join my partner in Canada until a month or so after he needs to go out to start the course, so I am assuming it is best for us to apply separately to avoid any confusion at the border? Does anyone know if we should mention in the letter of explanation when applying, that I will be joining him later, or is it best to just not mention that at all?

I went to the VAC today in London, and they were very unhelpful unfortunately. They couldn't answer any of my questions, all they will do is check that the basic information in the forms is filled out correctly.