Study Permit - Feels too easy

Old Dec 1st 2017, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Zookie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Study Permit - Feels too easy

So we have finally gone and done it. I have just got the letter from CIC saying my study permit has been authorised. After years and years of wanting to go to Canada and not having enough points we have bit the bullet and gone down the study permit route. I have applied to go back to college to do a criminology diploma which is something I am really interested in and looking forward to. My husband gets the 2 years work permit and the kids get to go to school. I filled out the family form showing that I was taking the husband and three kids but didn't apply for the husbands work permit yet after reading advice on here. If I am right we can get that at the border when they issue my study permit.

It just seems a bit too easy. Only took one week for them to say yes your study permit is authorised. I have secured a place at a university and thanks to good old Uncle Roger leaving us more money than expected in his will we have the funds to show we can look after a family of 5 for the first year +

But it still all seems a bit too easy. Maybe it's just because it is a 2 year temporary visa, maybe because it is something we have wanted for a long time and all of a sudden we are getting our opportunity, I don't know.

So now I guess we just need to book our flights, rent our house out and rock up to Canada with the correct paperwork and they let us in. We are hoping it leads to PR eventually (I think I'll need to land myself a decent job for this) but worst case scenario I think well get 5 yrs with a 3 yr pgwp after the 2 yr study.

I'm excited because we have wanted to do this for so long, but also scared now it actually seems to be happening in case I have read the whole process wrong and completely got the wrong end of the stick.

We are going to Nanaimo in Vancouver Island....my brother lives on the island and already has permanent residency there. We went to visit him last year for 3 weeks and loved every minute. It's a completely different life in the summer with the lakes, rivers and sea on your doorstep, the kids are going to love it.

But we've wanted this for so long I still feel like, is that it..... can we really go now then. lol
Old Dec 1st 2017, 7:42 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Study Permit - Feels too easy

Hi

Originally Posted by Zookie
So we have finally gone and done it. I have just got the letter from CIC saying my study permit has been authorised. After years and years of wanting to go to Canada and not having enough points we have bit the bullet and gone down the study permit route. I have applied to go back to college to do a criminology diploma which is something I am really interested in and looking forward to. My husband gets the 2 years work permit and the kids get to go to school. I filled out the family form showing that I was taking the husband and three kids but didn't apply for the husbands work permit yet after reading advice on here. If I am right we can get that at the border when they issue my study permit.

It just seems a bit too easy. Only took one week for them to say yes your study permit is authorised. I have secured a place at a university and thanks to good old Uncle Roger leaving us more money than expected in his will we have the funds to show we can look after a family of 5 for the first year +

But it still all seems a bit too easy. Maybe it's just because it is a 2 year temporary visa, maybe because it is something we have wanted for a long time and all of a sudden we are getting our opportunity, I don't know.

So now I guess we just need to book our flights, rent our house out and rock up to Canada with the correct paperwork and they let us in. We are hoping it leads to PR eventually (I think I'll need to land myself a decent job for this) but worst case scenario I think well get 5 yrs with a 3 yr pgwp after the 2 yr study.

I'm excited because we have wanted to do this for so long, but also scared now it actually seems to be happening in case I have read the whole process wrong and completely got the wrong end of the stick.

We are going to Nanaimo in Vancouver Island....my brother lives on the island and already has permanent residency there. We went to visit him last year for 3 weeks and loved every minute. It's a completely different life in the summer with the lakes, rivers and sea on your doorstep, the kids are going to love it.

But we've wanted this for so long I still feel like, is that it..... can we really go now then. lol
1. Just ensure that the course you are taking is at a Public institution, as if it is in a Private school, you will NOT get a PGWP.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Further to PMM's post

Note: If you plan to apply for:
a Post-Graduation Work Permit or
permanent residence under Express Entry
Make sure your program qualifies. Not all programs offered at designated learning institutions (DLIs) are eligible
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ions-list.html
Old Dec 1st 2017, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Zookie is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just double checked. It is a public institution and I am doing a 2 year full time diploma course, so I think provided I pass we should be OK.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 8:15 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Just ensure that the course you are taking is at a Public institution, as if it is in a Private school, you will NOT get a PGWP.
If it is at VIU (formerly Malaspina College), it is a public university.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

6scottishbarrons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Further to PMM's post

Note: If you plan to apply for:
a Post-Graduation Work Permit or
permanent residence under Express Entry
Make sure your program qualifies. Not all programs offered at designated learning institutions (DLIs) are eligible
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ions-list.html
Hi, sorry to jump on this thread, but just a quick question. How can you find out if the program at the DLI qualifies for a PGWP/PR application?

Thank you
Bec
Old Jan 9th 2018, 12:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 6scottishbarrons
Hi, sorry to jump on this thread, but just a quick question. How can you find out if the program at the DLI qualifies for a PGWP/PR application?

Thank you
Bec
It's usually just a case of the length of program, but the requirements for a PGWP are here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...igibility.html

HTH.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

6scottishbarrons is an unknown quantity at this point

That's great, thank you. Couldn't find the page for looking