Study permit for a child.

Old Mar 27th 2015, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Amy1807 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Study permit for a child.

My partner will be going to Canada via IEC and I, either a visiter or my own IEC.

This means our 6 year old will need a study permit to attend school.
From what I gather, we need an acceptance letter from a school to be able to apply for one, but does this have to be a private school or could it be a state school?
What I'm really trying to establish is whether we need to pay for his education.

Thanks amy
Old Mar 27th 2015, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Study permit for a child.

Originally Posted by Amy1807
My partner will be going to Canada via IEC and I, either a visiter or my own IEC.

This means our 6 year old will need a study permit to attend school.
From what I gather, we need an acceptance letter from a school to be able to apply for one, but does this have to be a private school or could it be a state school?
What I'm really trying to establish is whether we need to pay for his education.

Thanks amy
We got a visitor record for our daughter at the POE and this was sufficient for being allowed to attend elementary school in BC. They did require at least one parent to be working though. We didn't have to pay any fees.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Was that from an IEC?
It states that no dependants can obtain a visa/status off the back of the IEC, so yes my partner will be working, but it's on a work permit via the IEC.
I know dependants of people on a TWP can attend state school, but with the IEC I'm not sure it works that way.
There doesn't seem to be much info on this out there as it probably doesn't happen that often.
Hope this makes some sense
Old Mar 27th 2015, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes this was all on IEC. I believe that the actual permit you get stapled in your passport is no different to any other TWP, so the school board doesn't care either way (or at least they didn't in our case).

We did a lot of research on this before we left. So long as you are from a visa exempt country then there should be no issue getting the visitor record at the border which will allow your daughter to attend school.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Oh that's fantastic! Thanks so much
Old Mar 29th 2015, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Bc2015...just wondering how your child found the transition into a canadian school?
Out of everything we will be leaving behind and changing, this seems to be the biggest worry I have
Thanks