Student Visa VS Alternative Route

Old May 23rd 2016, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

ellie5292 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student Visa VS Alternative Route

Hi All
Hope your all doing well.

I have been looking into moving to Ontario for a while now and been doing a ton of research and reading this site for as much information as possible.

I was wondering if I could perhaps get some opinions regarding my situation.

I am currently finishing an LLB in law in the UK. I also own a business in the UK. I have considered that getting a student visa may be one of the easier ways of obtaining permanent residency, however the price for international students is $24,000 vs $15,000 for domestic students per year of undergrad.

I am therefore considering that financially it may be beneficial for me to either apply through the skilled work visa or business investment visa and once obtaining PR look into studying at domestic rates.

Anyone have any similar experiences, or advice perhaps.

Thanks
Ellie

Last edited by ellie5292; May 23rd 2016 at 8:59 pm.
Old May 24th 2016, 11:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student Visa VS Alternative Route

Hi, welcome to BE.

You mention the 'business investor visa', but can you clarify exactly which visa route you mean? There was the investor program, but (a) that's no longer in existence, and (b) I'm guessing you don't mean that if you're looking to save money on student fees, given the amount required for that program was $1.6M! Do you mean the Start Up Visa or Entrepreneur Program maybe?

If you can apply for PR as a Skilled Worker (do double check you're definitely scoring enough on the CRS, you'll need approx 450-480 as a minimum), then that would definitely be the way to go IMO.

HTH, good luck.
Old May 24th 2016, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student Visa VS Alternative Route

Agree with Chr'oompa .

- Check your PR eligibility & possible points first.

- If eligible (<30), look at IEC: IMO, this is an "easier" route into Canada to eventually qualify for PR (can get you points for Canadian experience).

- Ontario has an "entrepreneur" stream under the PNP programme. Would you/your business qualify?

Finally (& it's irrelevant to the visa q), why Canada/Ontario?

I'm sure you've already checked the Ontario requirements to qualify/practise in your chosen field.