Student Loans

Old Nov 18th 2004, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Snape is on a distinguished road
Default Student Loans

Hi guys im applying for a visa to Canada via sponsorship by my common law partner whom i live with in Uk.
I still have some of my student loan to repay back, ive looked at the company who provide student loans and they say i just have to make arrangements for me to pay them when im in Canada.

Do you think this could affect my visa application, what are you experiences or views on this. Professional advice would be nice.

thanks
Ian
Old Nov 18th 2004, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Student Loans

Originally Posted by Snape
Hi guys im applying for a visa to Canada via sponsorship by my common law partner whom i live with in Uk.
I still have some of my student loan to repay back, ive looked at the company who provide student loans and they say i just have to make arrangements for me to pay them when im in Canada.

Do you think this could affect my visa application, what are you experiences or views on this. Professional advice would be nice.

thanks
Ian
If your doing common-law PR I doubt it makes any difference whatsoever to your application... The amount of money you have has no effect on spousal applications, just not sure about common-law. Just work out how to keep the repayments up by keeping a bank account open in the UK and setting up a direct debit to the Student Loans Company. You can transfer money into this account from Canada every so often. This is what I plan to do when I eventually start earning enough to have to begin repayments
Old Nov 18th 2004, 7:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student Loans

Also, make sure to tell the Student loans that your going abroad before you leave and provide an address so they can send you statements etc. If in doubt, when abroad, your local LEA is a great place for info if you have your student number handy.
I'm not earning, so don't have to pay it back, but arranged to pay quaterly if and when I'm earning that way I don't have to transfer funds to the UK to often to keep the account on top of things, so it might be worth looking into.