Step-child question

Old Feb 14th 2012, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

BritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the rough
Default Step-child question

I am beginning the process of sponsoring my wife, child (5 months) and step-child (4 years).

I appreciate the natural father may have to be involved in any decision making however we are both a little frustrated that he could have such big decision making opportunities when he has little interest in his daughter.

She has never lived with him. My step daughter has always live alone with my wife since her day of birth. My wife was never in a relationship with my step-child's father (it was one of those things!). Since we became married over a year ago I have had the financial responsibility for her.

Her father has never paid a penny in child support and sees her perhaps once a year for a day or so. We live at opposite ends of the country!

His name is on the birth certificate. He works but never has the money to help provide for her of course!!!

Do we still need some kind of letter from him confirming he has no objection to her emigrating to Canada?

Preferably we would rather not involve him just like he is not interested in being involved with her, but of course we would obviously follow the letter of the law etc.

A bit more information. We all have the same surname (mine), my step-daughter aquired this legally last summer. She also has her own passport again with my surname.

Thanks.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Step-child question

Originally Posted by BritBob
I am beginning the process of sponsoring my wife, child (5 months) and step-child (4 years).

I appreciate the natural father may have to be involved in any decision making however we are both a little frustrated that he could have such big decision making opportunities when he has little interest in his daughter.

She has never lived with him. My step daughter has always live alone with my wife since her day of birth. My wife was never in a relationship with my step-child's father (it was one of those things!). Since we became married over a year ago I have had the financial responsibility for her.

Her father has never paid a penny in child support and sees her perhaps once a year for a day or so. We live at opposite ends of the country!

His name is on the birth certificate. He works but never has the money to help provide for her of course!!!

Do we still need some kind of letter from him confirming he has no objection to her emigrating to Canada?

Preferably we would rather not involve him just like he is not interested in being involved with her, but of course we would obviously follow the letter of the law etc.

A bit more information. We all have the same surname (mine), my step-daughter aquired this legally last summer. She also has her own passport again with my surname.

Thanks.
Your wife will need either the father's permission to relocate to Canada or a Court Order allowing the child to be removed from the jurisdiction. No way around that.