Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Staying in Canada once bunac visa expires?!

Staying in Canada once bunac visa expires?!

Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold
Default Staying in Canada once bunac visa expires?!

Hi,

I don't know if anyone can help, I am posting on behalf of my brother and his girlfiend.

Basically my brother is a dual Canadian/british citizen and his gf of 3 years is a british citizen. They have been living and working in Vancouver since july (her on the bunac visa).

Basically they both are loving their new lives there and want to stay. Obviously it is easy for my brother as he has citizenship but his girlfriend does not and they are really unsure what to do. They consulted a immigration attorney and basically handed over the money and got given a packet which described how to get permant residency for a cleaner?!

Now my brothers gf isn't employed as a cleaner, she is employed in the social service area working for the disbaled. I don't know what exactly it is she does but I know it is the same as work she was doing in the UK. She also has a degree.

I have read through the wiki links and unfortunatly I still remained confused about how she could stay?

I have suggested marriage but they are only in there early 20's and don't feel ready for this.

I also looked into the common law partner option but they don't seem to have much evidence I.e although they have been living in Canada together since july before that they were at university in the UK and although there are plenty of photos there are no joint bills/mortgages etc!

Anyway if anyone could offer any advice that would be fantastic! I know there is only 4 months left untill her visa expires and they are really worrying what to do..

Thanks!

Sophie
Old Mar 24th 2009, 5:41 am
Just Joined

Matthew Sell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Staying in Canada once bunac visa expires?!

Originally Posted by yorkieuk
Hi,

I don't know if anyone can help, I am posting on behalf of my brother and his girlfiend.

Basically my brother is a dual Canadian/british citizen and his gf of 3 years is a british citizen. They have been living and working in Vancouver since july (her on the bunac visa).

Basically they both are loving their new lives there and want to stay. Obviously it is easy for my brother as he has citizenship but his girlfriend does not and they are really unsure what to do. They consulted a immigration attorney and basically handed over the money and got given a packet which described how to get permant residency for a cleaner?!

Now my brothers gf isn't employed as a cleaner, she is employed in the social service area working for the disbaled. I don't know what exactly it is she does but I know it is the same as work she was doing in the UK. She also has a degree.

I have read through the wiki links and unfortunatly I still remained confused about how she could stay?

I have suggested marriage but they are only in there early 20's and don't feel ready for this.

I also looked into the common law partner option but they don't seem to have much evidence I.e although they have been living in Canada together since july before that they were at university in the UK and although there are plenty of photos there are no joint bills/mortgages etc!

Anyway if anyone could offer any advice that would be fantastic! I know there is only 4 months left untill her visa expires and they are really worrying what to do..

Thanks!

Sophie
Hello,

It is difficult to comment with out more information. Does she has a year or more work experience in an occupation listed O, A or B. Does she score 67 points? Could she use her remaining time to find an employer willing to support her in applying for an arranged employment opinion?

Another idea perhaps she should look in to the BC PNP program.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Staying in Canada once bunac visa expires?!

Originally Posted by Matthew Sell
Hello,

It is difficult to comment with out more information. Does she has a year or more work experience in an occupation listed O, A or B.
Thank you so much for your help! She has an occupation that is type 'B'.

Does she score 67 points?
She scores 83 points.

Could she use her remaining time to find an employer willing to support her in applying for an arranged employment opinion?
I don't know the answer to this one, she's in full time employment now. I can see if this is an option for her?

Another idea perhaps she should look in to the BC PNP program.
I'll google this!!