Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Staying in Canada beyond 1 year permit

Staying in Canada beyond 1 year permit

Old Oct 15th 2009, 1:11 am
Just Joined

MMacDonald is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Staying in Canada beyond 1 year permit

Hi, hope someone can help me.

My girlfriend and I are on a 1 year Bunac visa and are loving it. I would like to know what are our options that would allow us to stay in Canada after the Bunac visa expires, what we would need. We would like to stay for a few years at least, maybe (probably) longer!

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Martin
Old Oct 15th 2009, 8:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Staying in Canada beyond 1 year permit

Originally Posted by MMacDonald

My girlfriend and I are on a 1 year Bunac visa and are loving it. I would like to know what are our options that would allow us to stay in Canada after the Bunac visa expires, what we would need. We would like to stay for a few years at least, maybe (probably) longer!

Thanks
Martin
Hi Martin,

There are various options available to you, none of which are easy I'm afraid, and most of which will require you to get a job offer approved by HRSDC.

But start reading the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) and the CIC website, and you'll soon understand the various visas that you can try and get.

When does your Bunac run out? All routes will take at least 6 months (and most nearer a year) so don't delay!

Good luck.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Eager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MMacDonald

Thanks
Martin
Hi Martin,

My wife and I are in the exact same situation - i take it you're here on a non student visa?

There are various ways to extend your stay, but as christmasoompa says you basically need a job where your employer will support your application really i.e. make the offer permanent and jump through some hoops for the HRSDC.

As I say I'm going through the exact same thing and looking into it all now, so will let you know when I find out more. The 2 main paths we're looking at are

PNP - where you first get the province to nominate you as someone who they would like to immigrate and then permanent residency comes at an accelerated rate (within 9months to a year of application for PNP from what i gather).

As a back-up i think you want to look at applying for a temp work permit which comes through quicker, but again you still generally need employer to support your app and get LMO from HRSDC.

Anyway, hope this helps, will post more info when I have it. What is you/your girlfriends job situation, do you think employer would support your app? As we're both in the same boat feel free to pm me if you have any more questions. I'm not an expert but will do my best to point you in the right direction (useful links etc).
Old Oct 15th 2009, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi Martin,

There are various options available to you, none of which are easy I'm afraid, and most of which will require you to get a job offer approved by HRSDC.

But start reading the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) and the CIC website, and you'll soon understand the various visas that you can try and get.

When does your Bunac run out? All routes will take at least 6 months (and most nearer a year) so don't delay!

Good luck.
Many thanks, I better get started as my permit runs out in June!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Eager2bBC
Hi Martin,

My wife and I are in the exact same situation - i take it you're here on a non student visa?

There are various ways to extend your stay, but as christmasoompa says you basically need a job where your employer will support your application really i.e. make the offer permanent and jump through some hoops for the HRSDC.

As I say I'm going through the exact same thing and looking into it all now, so will let you know when I find out more. The 2 main paths we're looking at are

PNP - where you first get the province to nominate you as someone who they would like to immigrate and then permanent residency comes at an accelerated rate (within 9months to a year of application for PNP from what i gather).

As a back-up i think you want to look at applying for a temp work permit which comes through quicker, but again you still generally need employer to support your app and get LMO from HRSDC.

Anyway, hope this helps, will post more info when I have it. What is you/your girlfriends job situation, do you think employer would support your app? As we're both in the same boat feel free to pm me if you have any more questions. I'm not an expert but will do my best to point you in the right direction (useful links etc).
Thanks, I'll let you know if I have any success!
Old Nov 12th 2009, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

nicksmith86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Eager2bBC
Hi Martin,

Hi, I was wondering if you've had any success in extending your stay in Canada?

My BUNAC non-student visa runs out in Feb and i'm desperate to stay.

Any help would be great!
Old Nov 13th 2009, 1:29 am
Just Joined

LALZER is an unknown quantity at this point

Myself and my wife are in the same boat...
I was looking through the CIC website and there is an application form to extend your work visa/change your conditions..Im wondering do we qualify for this, as we wish to extend our stay and if we cant extend our visas, can we apply to change our conditions????
If anyone knows anything let me know...thanks folks