Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Staying in Canada for 6 months as a tourist.

Staying in Canada for 6 months as a tourist.

Old Aug 21st 2001, 7:11 pm
Vanessa Mansbridge

I'm planning on a trip to Canada for 6 months purely as a tourist to be taken as a
sabbatical from my current job. I've also got friends in the Ontario area who have
offered me a place to stay inbetween me travelling around the country.

As I'm a resident of the UK I am exempt from having a visitor visa. Therefore once I
reach Immigration what sort of evidence do I need to provide to prove that my
intentions are purely that of a tourist, and am not trying to illegally stay/work in
the country? Would a letter from my employers stating a return to work date suffice,
along with my flight ticket stating a return date? I'd rather be overcautious and be
prepared with substantial evidence of a tourist stay than be turned away just because
I'll have a fair amount of money to cover my stay and travelling, and that I will be
staying at a fixed address inbetween my travels.

Any advice would be appreciated

Vanessa.

Old Aug 21st 2001, 7:39 pm
Tim

Go in under cover of night, thats what I say. Or even better hide in a box

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
not
    >
    >
ticket
    >
    >
I'll
    >
will
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 21st 2001, 8:10 pm
Fred Grosby

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

That's a good start. And do make sure that you have all that money with you, because
if They don't see evidence that you can support yourself while on your vacation, They
might decide that you're gonna try and work.

Expect your passport to be stamped with a departure date.

--
Fred Grosby [email protected] http://www.canwine.com/fandl/fred.html

Old Aug 21st 2001, 8:24 pm
Denna

Vanessa,

Things to prove you are going back besides the return ticket and letter from your
employer would be things like a rental or lease agreement or mortgage for your home
and utility bills.

Denna

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
not
    >
    >
ticket
    >
    >
I'll
    >
will
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 22nd 2001, 12:58 am
Pmm

Hi Vanessa

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
not
    >
    >
ticket
    >
    >
I'll
    >
will
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Looks like you have everything covered. Return ticket, letter from employer, proof of
funds to maintain yourself. You should have not have any problems, unless of course
you have a criminal record.

PMM

Old Aug 22nd 2001, 3:32 am
Brew

So what happens if she stays longer than 6 months? I can't see immigration
chasing her down!

Any opinions?

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
not
    >
    >
ticket
    >
    >
I'll
    >
will
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 22nd 2001, 10:03 am
Tim Taylor

It's when you leave thats the problem

Tim

>
immigration
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I'm planning on a trip to Canada for 6 months purely as a tourist to be taken as[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > a sabbatical from my current job. I've also got friends in the Ontario area who[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > have offered me a place to stay inbetween me travelling around the country.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > As I'm a resident of the UK I am exempt from having a visitor visa. Therefore[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > once I reach Immigration what sort of evidence do I need to provide to prove that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > my intentions are purely that of a tourist, and am[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > trying to illegally stay/work in the country? Would a letter from my employers[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > stating a return to work date suffice, along with my flight[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > stating a return date? I'd rather be overcautious and be prepared with[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > substantial evidence of a tourist stay than be turned away just because[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > have a fair amount of money to cover my stay and travelling, and that I[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > be staying at a fixed address inbetween my travels.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Any advice would be appreciated[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Vanessa.[/usenetquote2]

Old Aug 23rd 2001, 12:51 am
Brew

But when you leave, don't you go through US Customs/Immigration? Are thier computers
linked so they can look up info on you (if they have it).

I don't see how they can have info on you when you leave.

>
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > So what happens if she stays longer than 6 months? I can't see[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > chasing her down![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Any opinions?[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > I'm planning on a trip to Canada for 6 months purely as a tourist to[/usenetquote2]
be
[usenetquote2]> > > taken as a sabbatical from my current job. I've also got friends in[/usenetquote2]
the
[usenetquote2]> > > Ontario area who have offered me a place to stay inbetween me[/usenetquote2]
travelling
[usenetquote2]> > > around the country.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > As I'm a resident of the UK I am exempt from having a visitor visa. Therefore[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > once I reach Immigration what sort of evidence do I need to provide to prove[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > that my intentions are purely that of a tourist, and[/usenetquote2]
am
[usenetquote2]> > not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > trying to illegally stay/work in the country? Would a letter from my employers[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > stating a return to work date suffice, along with my flight[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ticket[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > stating a return date? I'd rather be overcautious and be prepared with[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > substantial evidence of a tourist stay than be turned away just[/usenetquote2]
because
[usenetquote2]> > I'll[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > have a fair amount of money to cover my stay and travelling, and that[/usenetquote2]
I
[usenetquote2]> > will[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > be staying at a fixed address inbetween my travels.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Any advice would be appreciated[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Vanessa.[/usenetquote2]

Old Aug 23rd 2001, 6:17 am
Don R.

>
    >
    >
    >

I'm a U.S. citizen and resident. My wife and I have travelled to Canada on vacation
every year for several years for periods of 3 to 6 months. Often over 6 months.. Have
_never_ had my passport stamped nor had to prove I could support myself. One time,
ran into an Immigration woman at the Vancouiver airport who demanded I provide either
a birth certificate or passport (I had neither with me). I ranted and raved about
having been coming to Canada for years and never had to provide such documents at any
time in the past. She finally let me in. Thank goodness I usually drive in.

About the only questions I'm normally asked are, "Why are you coming to Canada?" "Do
you have any fire arms?" "How long will you be staying?"

I'm surprised a Brit would have to provide so much info.

Old Aug 23rd 2001, 6:21 am
Tim Taylor

You mean if she exits by foot, to the US. Good point. Don't know how it's done.

anyone know

Tim

>
thier
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > It's when you leave thats the problem[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Tim[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > So what happens if she stays longer than 6 months? I can't see[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > immigration[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > chasing her down![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Any opinions?[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > > I'm planning on a trip to Canada for 6 months purely as a tourist to[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > taken as a sabbatical from my current job. I've also got friends in[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > Ontario area who have offered me a place to stay inbetween me[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > > around the country.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > As I'm a resident of the UK I am exempt from having a visitor visa. Therefore[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > once I reach Immigration what sort of evidence do I need[/usenetquote2]
to
[usenetquote2]> > > > provide to prove that my intentions are purely that of a tourist,[/usenetquote2]
and
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > trying to illegally stay/work in the country? Would a letter from my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > employers stating a return to work date suffice, along with my[/usenetquote2]
flight
[usenetquote2]> > > ticket[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > stating a return date? I'd rather be overcautious and be prepared[/usenetquote2]
with
[usenetquote2]> > > > substantial evidence of a tourist stay than be turned away just[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > I'll[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > have a fair amount of money to cover my stay and travelling, and[/usenetquote2]
that
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > will[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > be staying at a fixed address inbetween my travels.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Any advice would be appreciated[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > Vanessa.[/usenetquote2]

Old Aug 23rd 2001, 12:12 pm
Stephen C. Gallagher

[usenetquote2]> > But when you leave, don't you go through US Customs/Immigration?[/usenetquote2]

Yes, but only if you're travelling to the US. The original poster said that she was a
resident of the UK, so if she was travelling back to the UK, she would not go through
US Customs or Immigration.

>

Past postings say that the US and Canadian systems are not linked. This doesn't mean
that they don't make requests to each other for information.

[usenetquote2]> > I don't see how they can have info on you when you leave.[/usenetquote2]

Canada does not have any exit immigration controls.

Stephen Gallagher

P.S. One other comment. The original poster made the statement:

"As I'm a resident of the UK I am exempt from having a visitor visa."

To my knowledge, being a resident of the UK does NOT exempt a person from requiring a
visa to visit Canada. Being a British citizen would exempt that person. Otherwise, if
that person comes from a country whose citizens require visas to visit Canada, the
fact that she resides in the UK does not exempt her from this.

Canada does exempt persons who hold permanent resident status in the US (and possibly
St-Pierre and Miquelon) from requiring a visa.

Old Aug 23rd 2001, 2:29 pm
Wizzard

>
    >

On a normal visit you don't, like when my family came for my wedding a few weeks ago,
they didn't have to show money and proff etc, they just got asked the usual and
stamped, as i do now. I think it's only when it looks more likely, such as a young
student coming to Canada in summer for a long time with no hotel prearranegd etc
staying with 'friends'. I think they get a lot of people coming looking for summer
work hopeing they won't get stopped cos they dont have work permits. Not intending to
live tehre forever just do the traveling/vacation thing but working too. Also between
US/Canada is a very relaxed border where you just have to prove your citizenship and
thats it if youa re even asked, whereas with the UK and other countries its not open
so you have to do the whoel passport official bit, but fortunately from the UK you
dont need a tourist Visa which makes it much more simple than trying the US where you
do need teh Visa just to vist, not taht it's difficult to get for holidays, but still
mroe hassle, especially when you forget and head over the border at Niagra and have
to explain ....hehe.

Drew

--
Posted from femail27.sdc1.sfba.home.com [24.254.60.17] via Mailgate.ORG Server -
http://www.Mailgate.ORG