Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

'Stay-at-home' dad as sponsor - info request

'Stay-at-home' dad as sponsor - info request

Old Oct 30th 2004, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Alibastar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 'Stay-at-home' dad as sponsor - info request

Hi folks,

I would like to apply to sponsor my wife and child to become Canadian PR but haven't been able to find enough info on our situation. The guides from CIC are somewhat unclear.

I am a Canadian citizen and living in the USA as a US PR. My wife and I were married in Canada, and after just 6 months I chose to come to US so she could finish her university to become a teacher.

Now that she is finished her school and is working as a teacher here (for past 4 years) we would like to return to Canada.

The problem is that I am a stay at home dad with no personal income. I would assume that the CIC would recognize that some families choose to have a parent stay at home with the children, but would they allow the stay at home parent to sponsor the working parent?

Obviously because of our situation we would be filing from the USA and would await our answer about PR status before we made the decision to move.

If they don't allow this arrangement, how would I be able to sponsor her?

We had thought about moving back to Canada to file the papers, but she can't terminate her contract, and if she leaves at the end of the contract she may not be considered to hold a valid state credential, be an active teacher, or be in good standing by the time the PR is reached in Canada which may affect her ability to teach in some provinces, and thus nullifying the reason we came herein the first place.

Any info on how a stay at home dad could return to Canada with his family would be appreciated.
Old Oct 30th 2004, 12:33 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Stay-at-home' dad as sponsor - info request

Hi Alibaster

Originally Posted by Alibastar
Hi folks,

I would like to apply to sponsor my wife and child to become Canadian PR but haven't been able to find enough info on our situation. The guides from CIC are somewhat unclear.

I am a Canadian citizen and living in the USA as a US PR. My wife and I were married in Canada, and after just 6 months I chose to come to US so she could finish her university to become a teacher.

Now that she is finished her school and is working as a teacher here (for past 4 years) we would like to return to Canada.

The problem is that I am a stay at home dad with no personal income. I would assume that the CIC would recognize that some families choose to have a parent stay at home with the children, but would they allow the stay at home parent to sponsor the working parent?

Obviously because of our situation we would be filing from the USA and would await our answer about PR status before we made the decision to move.

If they don't allow this arrangement, how would I be able to sponsor her?

We had thought about moving back to Canada to file the papers, but she can't terminate her contract, and if she leaves at the end of the contract she may not be considered to hold a valid state credential, be an active teacher, or be in good standing by the time the PR is reached in Canada which may affect her ability to teach in some provinces, and thus nullifying the reason we came herein the first place.

Any info on how a stay at home dad could return to Canada with his family would be appreciated.
should be no problem, as long as you aren't in receipt of social assistance. You just have to include a statement with your application that you will be returning to Canada once your spouse is issued a Pr visa. I assume that you have looked at www.cic.gc.ca ? You will find all the forms and information on sponsorship. You submit the sponsorship application up front with your with your wife's application, medical and fbi certificate to Mississaugia and if it is approved it will be sent to Buffalo for processing.

Spouse do not have to meet LICO, but you do have to complete the financial evaluation even though you are unemployed.

PMM
Old Oct 30th 2004, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Alibastar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
should be no problem, as long as you aren't in receipt of social assistance.
Which I'm not, so that's good. The USA has the same requirement.

Originally Posted by PMM
I assume that you have looked at www.cic.gc.ca ? You will find all the forms and information on sponsorship.
That we did, but found the guides a little confusing regarding the sponsors financial status.

In "Part 1: The Sponsor's Guide" on Page 7 under the heading "Who can sponsor?" it says:

You may be eligible to sponsor if:

* You have an income that is at least equal to the minimum necessary income, (...)

You will have to provide us with documents that show your financial resources for the past 12 months and prove you are financially able to sponsor members of the family class. You may solicit the help of a co-signer (must be your spouse or common law partner).

This condition does not apply if you are sponsoring only - your spouse whose dependent children have no children of their own.
Which was fine, but what is the condition they are referring to? The condition that you must have the income requirements, or the condition of having your spouse as a co-signer?

Further along on Page 19 under 'Co-Signer' it says:
Your spouse should complete this section only if he or she is co-signing the application. If you are sponsoring your spouse you cannot have a co-signer.
You can probably see how that is a bit confusing.

Originally Posted by PMM

Spouse do not have to meet LICO, but you do have to complete the financial evaluation even though you are unemployed.

PMM
You are saying then that neither of us has to meet the LICO?

That would be welcome. Even if only my wife needed to meet LICO that would be fine. If I have to meet it I'd have no idea how to proceed.

Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 30th 2004, 3:12 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Alibastar
Which I'm not, so that's good. The USA has the same requirement.

That we did, but found the guides a little confusing regarding the sponsors financial status.

In "Part 1: The Sponsor's Guide" on Page 7 under the heading "Who can sponsor?" it says:

Which was fine, but what is the condition they are referring to? The condition that you must have the income requirements, or the condition of having your spouse as a co-signer?

Further along on Page 19 under 'Co-Signer' it says:

You can probably see how that is a bit confusing.

You are saying then that neither of us has to meet the LICO?

That would be welcome. Even if only my wife needed to meet LICO that would be fine. If I have to meet it I'd have no idea how to proceed.

Thanks for your help!
Your spouse doesn't sign as co-signer, Its pretty straight forward you complete the financial stuff and you show that you have no income. Your wife does not have any thing to do with the SPONSORSHIP, she is the applicant.

PMM
Old Oct 30th 2004, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a stay-at-home mum (canadian citizen) sponsoring my common-law partner from outside Canada. I intend to remain a SAHM in Canada and will have no income, Mr B will be the wage earner when he gets to Canada. There isn't an income requirement for spousal category. I just filled in "zero" in the relevant places on the forms. All seems to have been in order, eligibility to sponsor received and PR for partner is in process in London now.

Good luck!

Biiiiink
Old Oct 31st 2004, 9:30 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

Same with me and Mrs Rhodes.

The forms and guidance can be very confusing. Do post again if you have any more questions - plenty of us have had to fill them in, and probably had much the same questions as you will have.

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I'm a stay-at-home mum (canadian citizen) sponsoring my common-law partner from outside Canada. I intend to remain a SAHM in Canada and will have no income, Mr B will be the wage earner when he gets to Canada. There isn't an income requirement for spousal category. I just filled in "zero" in the relevant places on the forms. All seems to have been in order, eligibility to sponsor received and PR for partner is in process in London now.

Good luck!

Biiiiink