Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Stating our intentions as we cross the border

Wikiposts

Stating our intentions as we cross the border

Old Dec 23rd 2013, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Jmboot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stating our intentions as we cross the border

Good Morning (or Afternoon) All,

I have been having a good peruse over the past few weeks andh have decided I should make a post regarding my situation as I need a little advice or perhaps comment.

I have a job offer for a company in BC and my visa application is pending (from their side, they applied through a LMO etc.) and my girlfriend is planning on coming with me at the end of January. We were hoping that going through IEC would be relatively straight forward as I did this in 2008 and had no problems or stress at all. Fact is, we've tried in the past two rounds and haven't gotten through. With the final round being "in 2014", with processing times I don't think it would be done in time providing she even got a place.

The next obvious way to approach this is through a spouse/common-law approach for which we fall a month short (will be 12 month in January) so we can't start that application yet as a) we don't yet qualify and b) I don't yet have my visa as the basis of her application. We have a joint bank account and have been living with my parents (pending my move to BC) and can get affadavits signed by my parents to attest to our relationship and the fact we have been living with them.

The question:
Providing my visa comes through early January, would it be advisable to enter Canada with my visa being fully valid and for my girlfriend to enter on a visitors visa and then apply for a common-law permit based on my acceptance to work in Canada? I would fully state our intentions to the border officer and explain that I couldn't wait in the UK for us to be valid for common-law and then wait for the application to be processed due to work contraints (this all being completely true)?

I'm very sorry if this seemed a ramble, but as the clock ticks we are becoming increasingly anxious regarding our future.

Kindest Regards,

Jason
Old Dec 24th 2013, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stating our intentions as we cross the border

You do realize that only Permanent Residents and Citizens can sponsor spouses, common law or others and not those coming in on work permits.
Those arriving on work permits/study permits can have their spouses, common law partners accompany them and dependent on their job their OH might be eligible for an open work permit.
As with anything full disclosure of intent is imperative otherwise you leave yourself open to allegations of misrepresentation etc.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...nsor/index.asp