PR Medical Examination

Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

bicster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR Medical Examination

Guys,

I have my PR medical exam on Friday - is there anything I should be concerned about? What do they do? What are they looking for? How long does it take? Do they check OHIP records?

Also, the Dr wants me to pay cash (and that was the same with the three I spoke to). Is this normal??

Thanks,

Bic
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:09 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Medical Examination

Originally Posted by bicster
Guys,

I have my PR medical exam on Friday - is there anything I should be concerned about? What do they do? What are they looking for? How long does it take? Do they check OHIP records?

Also, the Dr wants me to pay cash (and that was the same with the three I spoke to). Is this normal??

Thanks,

Bic
Fairly routine stuff. Blood pressure, hearing test, eye sight test, balance test. They'll check for lumps and bumps on your body. Urine test presumably for diabetes etc

You'll also have to do a blood test to test for things like syphilis. And a full chest x-ray. Believe this is to check for signs of TB or cancer.

Should take no longer than an hour total provided all the steps can be done in the one place. Obviously not all doctors just have an x-ray machine sitting around. The place I went was like a medical centre so the doctor did the examination and then sent me to another place upstairs to get the bloodwork/xray done.

If your PR app is a family class application you're exempt from most of the requirements anyway so it's more of a "actually turns out you have this thing wrong with you" and then they process your application anyway. For economic class applications there are more stringent requirements I believe.

Cash/cheque is fairly common.

Last edited by orly; Dec 11th 2013 at 4:14 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info guys, very helpful.

I had the medical on Friday and everything looked to be in order (pending the results of my x-ray and blood tests!).

So, how long do we think I'll need to wait before being granted PR now?

Bic
Old Dec 18th 2013, 2:56 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info guys, very helpful.

I had the medical on Friday and everything looked to be in order (pending the results of my x-ray and blood tests!).

So, how long do we think I'll need to wait before being granted PR now?

Bic
Have you already applied?

I thought most medicals had to be done in advance of the application.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, I applied back in January - application was acknowledged in May (?) then my request for medicals came through December 7th - medicals conducted December 13th and the doctor informed me they'd be in the system by Christmas (I'm in Canada and he had access to electronic submissions).

So...based on that I'm curious as to how long I'm going to be waiting before I can throw that PR party!

Chris
Old Dec 18th 2013, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Winterfresh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, can I ask what class you applied under? Thanks.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Sure, the Canadian Experience class.

I believe this was a new category of application which opened Jan 1st 2013 so my legal team felt that this would be the quickest route to PR.

Thanks,

Bic
Old Dec 18th 2013, 5:51 pm
The ride never ends

Wouldn't imagine it to take too much longer then. A request for medicals is usually a good sign. They quote 13 months on the CIC site so you'd hopefully hear early in 2014.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 6:53 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Guys,

Thanks,

Bic
Sorry to hijack but I need a medical for IEC and this has miffed me as I want to pay by credit card (even if I have the 2.5 surcharge to pay) it's over £300 for me as it would be for everyone else.

Does the doc seriously want me to carry around that amount of cash around the streets of semi-central Birmingham??
Old Dec 18th 2013, 6:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Have you already applied?

I thought most medicals had to be done in advance of the application.
Only for Spousal Sponsorship - every other PR route you have to wait until they're requested by CIC, towards the end of the process.

HTH.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Sure, the Canadian Experience class.

I believe this was a new category of application which opened Jan 1st 2013 so my legal team felt that this would be the quickest route to PR.

Thanks,

Bic
I've just applied under that class and I thought the meds request would come sooner than that? We sent our application off four weeks ago and are checking the post box every day to see if they have returned our application - obviously we're hoping for a confirmation email to come through!
Old Dec 18th 2013, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Actually, do you know at what stage you can apply for a bridging permit?
Old Dec 18th 2013, 7:25 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Winterfresh
Actually, do you know at what stage you can apply for a bridging permit?

To be eligible for a bridging WP, the following parameters must be met:

The foreign national is currently in Canada;
They have valid status on a WP that is due to expire within 4 months;
They are the principal applicant on an application for permanent residence under the FSWP, the CEC, the PNP or the FSTP;
They have received a positive eligibility assessment on their PR application under one of the Economic Class programs above; and
They have made application for an open WP.

Please note the following foreign nationals do not qualify for a bridging work permit:

Foreign nationals in Canada under section 186 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (work permit exempt) situations.
Foreign nationals who have let their status expire and must apply for restoration in order to return to temporary resident status.
Foreign nationals whose work permits are valid for longer than four months and/or already have a new LMO that can be used as the basis for new work permit application
Foreign nationals applying for a bridging work permit at the port of entry.
Spouse and dependents of the principal permanent resident applicant.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

To be eligible for a bridging WP, the following parameters must be met:

The foreign national is currently in Canada;
They have valid status on a WP that is due to expire within 4 months;
They are the principal applicant on an application for permanent residence under the FSWP, the CEC, the PNP or the FSTP;
They have received a positive eligibility assessment on their PR application under one of the Economic Class programs above; and
They have made application for an open WP.

Please note the following foreign nationals do not qualify for a bridging work permit:

Foreign nationals in Canada under section 186 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (work permit exempt) situations.
Foreign nationals who have let their status expire and must apply for restoration in order to return to temporary resident status.
Foreign nationals whose work permits are valid for longer than four months and/or already have a new LMO that can be used as the basis for new work permit application
Foreign nationals applying for a bridging work permit at the port of entry.
Spouse and dependents of the principal permanent resident applicant.
Thanks, that's really helpful. We live in Canada. My husband is the main applicant; he had an LMO attached to his job but unfortunately was let go a couple of weeks back. This seems like he could apply for an open work permit as soon as we (hopefully) receive confirmation that our CEC application is going to be processed then?
Old Dec 18th 2013, 8:11 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Winterfresh
Thanks, that's really helpful. We live in Canada. My husband is the main applicant; he had an LMO attached to his job but unfortunately was let go a couple of weeks back. This seems like he could apply for an open work permit as soon as we (hopefully) receive confirmation that our CEC application is going to be processed then?

Only if his work permit expires within 4 months. It doesn't matter that his job ended, if the work permit is valid for longer than 4 months, not eligible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.