Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Starting the process... being a bit thick!

Starting the process... being a bit thick!

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

dwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud of
Default Starting the process... being a bit thick!

Hey! I've been reading through the wiki and recent threads to try to get a handle on the best way to approach getting to Canada am really just wanting confirmation that I'm understanding things correctly. If I'm getting this right, as a skilled worker I should put my PR application in, expecting a 5 year wait, but then start job searching with a view to obtaining a job so I can get over on a work permit (or PNP) which then accelerates the PR app?

My education and expereince seem to fit the 'in-demand' jobs of at least some of the provinces I've got a vague idea I'd like to live in... I know its way more complex that I've put it, but have I got it basically right, or am I missing something biiiig
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 4:27 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting the process... being a bit thick!

Originally Posted by dwight-van-man
Hey! I've been reading through the wiki and recent threads to try to get a handle on the best way to approach getting to Canada am really just wanting confirmation that I'm understanding things correctly. If I'm getting this right, as a skilled worker I should put my PR application in, expecting a 5 year wait, but then start job searching with a view to obtaining a job so I can get over on a work permit (or PNP) which then accelerates the PR app?

My education and expereince seem to fit the 'in-demand' jobs of at least some of the provinces I've got a vague idea I'd like to live in... I know its way more complex that I've put it, but have I got it basically right, or am I missing something biiiig
Spot on.

At least spot on in general terms.

To refine your understanding of the difference between obtaining permanent residence (PR) a work permit and PNP, I suggest you read the Wiki called Work Permit versus PNP.

If you apply via PNP, you in any case will end up with PR status. In that case there is no need to apply for PR ahead of time.

If you go the work permit route, you could submit your PR application now, and then later -- once you have a work permit and are working in Canada -- ask for your PR application to be fast-tracked. Or you could just go to Canada on a work permit, start working there, and then submit your PR application along with a request for it to be fast-tracked. You`ve probably read this Wiki already, but you could refresh your understanding of the process by reading Fast Track PR Application.
x

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Mar 3rd 2008 at 4:35 pm. Reason: Spot On didn`t seem quite detailed enough. :-)
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 5:02 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dwight-van-man

yes you are right - except you can not convert SW application into PNP. You would either have to add job offer (etc) to application and get fast tracked for PR. OR cancel SW application (lose processing fees) and reapply under PNP
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

dwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud of

Ok - thanks! General terms is what I need right now! The wiki is fantastic - I spent pretty much the whole weekend wading through the official immigration sites for most of the provinces and was going round in circles but the wiki info ( and I read most of it this afternoon:embaressed_smile: ) cleared up most of my initial confusion... So now I guess I just do a bit more research about who wants my job skills, get my cv converted to resume and start talking to people about jobs....
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:13 pm
Around and around...

Spirael will become famous soon enoughSpirael will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rob_999
yes you are right - except you can not convert SW application into PNP. You would either have to add job offer (etc) to application and get fast tracked for PR. OR cancel SW application (lose processing fees) and reapply under PNP
Just to quote from the AoR I received last week for the simplified Skilled Worker route:

"If you wish to withdraw your application during this waiting period, you may obtain a full refund of your fees."

So, from my understanding, as long as you withdrew the application before it started processing then you'd get back the money you put towards it.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Spirael, thats good to know... I'm thinking my best option though is to focus on job hunting first up, as I'm not totally convinced about how 'in-demand' my work experience will be. I work in financial services as a business development manager which is kind of salesy/relationship management as opposed to the plumber/truck driver route that all the case studies I've read refer to ( although after watching Ice Road Truckers I'm seriously considering getting my HGV licence ). So I'd rather check out the demand for what I can do first rather than go full SW route and discover in five years time that I can only get a job in Maccy D's! Tomorrow's home work is to figure this out!

Last edited by dwight-van-man; Mar 3rd 2008 at 7:33 pm. Reason: bad spelling :o)
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 7:36 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spirael
Just to quote from the AoR I received last week for the simplified Skilled Worker route:

"If you wish to withdraw your application during this waiting period, you may obtain a full refund of your fees."

So, from my understanding, as long as you withdrew the application before it started processing then you'd get back the money you put towards it.
Thanks - that's very useful info. Basically there's no real downside to just putting your application in right now and reserving a place in the queue