Starting the process

Old Oct 18th 2007, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

jo85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting the process

Hello everyone! Me and hubby-2-be are wanting to move over from the uk and I've been sat here trawling the web for days now trying to find everything out and thought I'd ask some questions.

First of all, we're getting married in May 08 - is it going to be worthwhile waiting till after then to start applying - what with name change and all?

After looking through this forum, it seems that applying for PR without a job offer will take a long while. H2B is a joiner and we have been e-mailing construction companies in BC to see if he can get a job offer but then I'm not sure whether to get a work permit first and then apply for residency once settled in Canada or go straight for residency if a job offer comes up.

Is it possible to change an application from no job offer to having an offer if, say, I applied now and an offer came up in the future?

Also, I would probably be classed as unskilled. I work in a pub in a supervisory role handling the cellar (including cask beers - a skill I may not need in Canada!) as well as day to day keeping the customers happy! I was thinking I'd find a job once out there.

Hmm, that's a lot of stuff now I re-read it. I'm basically wondering when to apply and what I actually want to apply for! I realise I'm going to have to be patient but I want to go now!

Any help or info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jo
Old Oct 18th 2007, 3:14 pm
The /wortley`s

The Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Starting the process

Hi Jo,
Yes it is a very long drawn out process, we applied in Aug 05 as skilled worker, I am a nurse, we are still waiting but hopefully getting closer and if all goes well will be in Ontario next summer.
In response to your question from my experience before you apply for a work permit you have to have a valid job offer, but they dont just accept a letter from the employer, apparantly it had to be an official job offer via their HRDC which is their Human Resource dept. They have to show that this job has been offered to Canadians but unable to fill therefore the reason for seeking employees outside of Canada. Once this is achieved then you can apply for a work permit, I do know that this is the quickest way to get in. Having said all that if you are going to BC it is different to Ontario, BC have a system called NPP but as Ontario do not have that yet I dont know a lot about it.
Hope this helps, good look with your application. You are making the right decision England has gone to the dogs!!!
Keep in touch.
Sally
Old Oct 18th 2007, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting the process

Originally Posted by jo85
Hello everyone! Me and hubby-2-be are wanting to move over from the uk and I've been sat here trawling the web for days now trying to find everything out and thought I'd ask some questions.

Welcome Jo

First of all, we're getting married in May 08 - is it going to be worthwhile waiting till after then to start applying - what with name change and all?

Congratulations you dont have to wait to apply for immigration to Canada as they accept Common Law partners as part of the immgration process.

Due to the wait for SW visa at the mo through the SAP then the sooner that you apply the better for you as waits at the mo are around 5 years I think

After looking through this forum, it seems that applying for PR without a job offer will take a long while. H2B is a joiner and we have been e-mailing construction companies in BC to see if he can get a job offer but then I'm not sure whether to get a work permit first and then apply for residency once settled in Canada or go straight for residency if a job offer comes up.

Would have thought that your H2B's occupation is on the labour shortage list for most of Western Canada - particularly BC and Alberta. I think that you are doing the right thing to be emailing companies for jobs etc. but it could be worthwhile planning a recce trip (there are some tips for this in the WIKI link here )this way you could possibly link some fact finding chores and interviews together. Could prove fruitful

Is it possible to change an application from no job offer to having an offer if, say, I applied now and an offer came up in the future?

If you apply for a SW visa now - ie that you are prepared to wait for the application process to become complete - and then a year or so down the line a job offer comes into the picture then you would be expected to go through the LMO process.

This is a Labour Market Opinion whereby HRDSC (Like the UK Dept of Employment) check out if there is a need for the employer to recruit a foreign worker. Lots of conditions have to met to obtain one of these documents for instance - has the employer exhausted all avenues of recruitment, are they offering the foriegn worker the same package as they would offer a Canadian resident, does your H2B have the relevent qualificaitons.

Once a positive LMO is received then you will be able to apply for your TWP at the POE - the length of the TWP depends on what HRDSC state on the LMO and may not exceed the time thereon.

Once over in Canada and your H2B is working for his Canadian employer then you would be able to update your SW visa application to claim additional points for Aranged Employment - by submitting letter from employer and some payslips for your H2B.

Over the last few months there have been a few peeps on here who have done this and have had their SW applications expedited through London CIC.

Another way to get here is to get the job and then apply straight to London CIC for SW visa with job information - again this expedites the process as above.

Also, I would probably be classed as unskilled. I work in a pub in a supervisory role handling the cellar (including cask beers - a skill I may not need in Canada!) as well as day to day keeping the customers happy! I was thinking I'd find a job once out there.

The only problem with a TWP is that your H2B occupation needs to be a certain classification for your to be able to work under the Spousal Employment Scheme. There is a matrix for this classification if his occupation is not A O or B then you will not be able to work yourself until your receive PR - but the AEO should help to limit this amount of time due to the expediting of the application.

Hmm, that's a lot of stuff now I re-read it. I'm basically wondering when to apply and what I actually want to apply for! I realise I'm going to have to be patient but I want to go now!

Any help or info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jo
Hi Jo

Hope that you understand the above have tried to make it as clear as possible - so will probably be like mud

Anymore questions ask away

Gaynorx
Old Oct 19th 2007, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

jo85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks both of you for the replies.

Maybe we've got an idea for the honeymoon then!

I wasn't sure if it'd be possible to have applications for both PR and a work permit processing at the same time. With it being a long process, it may be worthwhile starting it now and aim to plan a trip over next year to meet employers.

H2B fits into the carpenter category at skill level B so should be ok there and have asked him to find all the qualfication info (I don't think he's too impressed by me asking that!) - hopefully they will help!

How would we have to go about altering our PR application if we got a job offer and/or a work permit?

I'm sure I have more questions but they're not coming to me at the moment!

Thanks again, Jo
Old Oct 20th 2007, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Alro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jo85
Thanks both of you for the replies.

Maybe we've got an idea for the honeymoon then!

I wasn't sure if it'd be possible to have applications for both PR and a work permit processing at the same time. With it being a long process, it may be worthwhile starting it now and aim to plan a trip over next year to meet employers.

H2B fits into the carpenter category at skill level B so should be ok there and have asked him to find all the qualfication info (I don't think he's too impressed by me asking that!) - hopefully they will help!

How would we have to go about altering our PR application if we got a job offer and/or a work permit?

I'm sure I have more questions but they're not coming to me at the moment!

Thanks again, Jo
Hi Jo

I can only tell you how we got here. Sept 2006, we submitted out own SW application and prepared for the long wait. Jan 2007, OH company sponsored him and they applied seperately for our WP. So that would say to me that yes you can have two applications in at the same time. In fact his company lawyers told us to leave our own application in the pipeline while they got our WPs.

I got a spousal WP and there was a restriction which said that if I wanted to work in healthcare or with children then I must first have a medical - other than that no problems.

As for your final question. As soon as we cleared Immigration in August this year when we arrived, I am assuming that our personal applicaton was "flagged" to be fast tracked. Because about two weeks after we arrived here, we had our medical requests and a request for an updated police check (original police check only lasted 6 months - so was out of date). Got new police check and medicals done so next step I believe it PR.

Hope all that made sense

Good luck with the wedding next year and your application.
Alro
Old Oct 20th 2007, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

JL_CSIC is an unknown quantity at this point

If your husband is a qualified joiner (carpenter?) and gets a job offer in BC, then - depending on his level of experience - his Canadian employer could apply for an get a LMO within a couple of weeks and then you could fly in and both get 2-3 year work permits upon arrival at the airport. You could then apply under the BC PNP program for Perm residence and get that in 10-12 months.

UK qualified tradespersons are in INCREDIBLY high demand in Western Canada and you have good chances for coming here fast.