Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spouse sponsoring his wife - which IMM forms apply to me?

Spouse sponsoring his wife - which IMM forms apply to me?

Old Apr 15th 2015, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spouse sponsoring his wife - which IMM forms apply to me?

I am a Canadian citizen who live in the UK and married to a British wife. I plan to sponsor her for permanent residence.

I have been through the wiki and various historic posts but I am still confused on a couple of them.

1. OK, I read on the Wiki that for form IMM0008, although I am her spouse, as I am the sponsor, my details are not needed in the 'Dependants' section - so fine with that.

2. IMM 5669 - This is for the applicant for residence to complete (i.e. my wife), but it says the spouse (i.e. me) must also complete a copy - does that apply to me as I am the sponsor?

3. IMM5406 - Same question as above for IMM 5669?

Happy either way, just don't want to provide information if it is not needed.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

andrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse sponsoring his wife - which IMM forms apply to me?

2. Only the applicant fills in this form
3. Only the applicant fills in this form, but include details of your spouse in Section A.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 2:31 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you keep the FAQ handy while you fill out the forms. The FAQ goes form-by-form and should answer pretty well the most common questions with the forms. It's linked in both my signature and Andrew's signature, as well as being stickied on the main Immigration page.

Any other specific questions post either here or in the main Timeline thread and you'll be able to get quick answers!

Good luck!!!
Old Apr 15th 2015, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent thank you. I am probably 'over-thinking' a bit too much here! Going fairly well now though - most completed except where I need to get some really historic addresses etc. from my wife.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry, another very related question. I have checked the wiki, but no specofoc mention.

On form IMM5406, the Document checklist says that the applicant (i.e. my wife) and 'each of your family members 18 years of age or older....' must complete separate forms.

So as I am the spouse and sponsor and a Canadian by birth, but I don't need to complete one - OK got that.

My wife has noted on IMM5406 both my son and daughter by a previous marriage as stepchildren (as asked for on the form) in Section B. My wife has no children of her own.

So do my children have to complete a separate 5406 even though they are not dependent, moved away a few years ago and have no intention of moving to Canada (wouldn't be a problem for them as I registered both of them as Canadian citizens at birth and they are dual national)?

Sorry to seem picky, I just don't want to send forms if they are not needed as that will likely confuse things....