Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal Program - Temp. Work Permit Question...

Spousal Program - Temp. Work Permit Question...

Old Jun 20th 2005, 10:22 am
Just Joined

MarkV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal Program - Temp. Work Permit Question...

Hi,

Please can somebody help me out in understanding how the spousal program for Temporary Work Permits operates? Has anybody been through the process and can provide advice on timescales and when to apply..? Is it still in existence?

My situation is this, my partner has been offered a job in a hospital in Vancouver working as a nurse. She has applied for her nursing registration with the RNABC and is awaiting an employment authorisation from the HRSDC via the hospital. If this arrives, she has to make an application for a temporary work permit to the Canadian High Commission in London, as we've both got British passports.

What I want to know is will I be able to gain a work permit too under the spousal program? All the information I can find is on the CIC website at this page

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/worker-4.html

I'm an Architect (of the Construction kind, not IT) and looking at this page, if she get's an employment authorisation as a registered nurse (Skill Level A, in the National Occupation Classification) for 6 months or more, I read it that I can apply for an 'open' work permit linked to her permit. Is this correct?

If so, I've got the following questions:

1) Do I need a written job offer from a firm in Vancouver to get a work permit?
2) Can I apply from outside Canada at the same time as she applies on another 'Application for Work Permit' form (IMM1295) under the 'spousal' route or do I have to wait for her application to be processed first?
3) Does anybody know how long work permits take to be processed in London at the moment, bearing in mind she will need a medical too?

We think we'll be able to prove the Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union part too.

Any experience people have of the process and could pass on would be great! Thanks very much!
Old Jun 20th 2005, 10:29 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spousal Program - Temp. Work Permit Question...

1. Yes - "open" means no validation or other requirements need to be met, but job offer must be submitted with application

2. Not really. It should be submitted once you are already accompanying your spouse in Canada, although we had while ago a report here from person claiming that London accepted spouse's app together with main work permit application

3. Few months

Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union is only one of documents necessary to prove that you are common-law partners - declaration alone won't work.

Originally Posted by MarkV
Hi,

Please can somebody help me out in understanding how the spousal program for Temporary Work Permits operates? Has anybody been through the process and can provide advice on timescales and when to apply..? Is it still in existence?

My situation is this, my partner has been offered a job in a hospital in Vancouver working as a nurse. She has applied for her nursing registration with the RNABC and is awaiting an employment authorisation from the HRSDC via the hospital. If this arrives, she has to make an application for a temporary work permit to the Canadian High Commission in London, as we've both got British passports.

What I want to know is will I be able to gain a work permit too under the spousal program? All the information I can find is on the CIC website at this page

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/worker-4.html

I'm an Architect (of the Construction kind, not IT) and looking at this page, if she get's an employment authorisation as a registered nurse (Skill Level A, in the National Occupation Classification) for 6 months or more, I read it that I can apply for an 'open' work permit linked to her permit. Is this correct?

If so, I've got the following questions:

1) Do I need a written job offer from a firm in Vancouver to get a work permit?
2) Can I apply from outside Canada at the same time as she applies on another 'Application for Work Permit' form (IMM1295) under the 'spousal' route or do I have to wait for her application to be processed first?
3) Does anybody know how long work permits take to be processed in London at the moment, bearing in mind she will need a medical too?

We think we'll be able to prove the Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union part too.

Any experience people have of the process and could pass on would be great! Thanks very much!
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 7:23 am
Just Joined

MarkV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spousal Program - Temp. Work Permit Question...

Thanks very much for the answer and the information, Andrew.

One last cheeky one, following on from point 2, if I make an application from within Canada:

a) I presume I can't work until the application is validated..?

b) if that is the case, how long does the application typically take to be processed for spousal work permit, submitted with a written job offer, once in Canada?

Thanks again!