Wikiposts

Spousal PR application

Old Jan 8th 2013, 12:40 am
Just Joined

disneyloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal PR application

I am finishing all the forms to send off for sponsoring my common law boyfriend to join me in Canada.

I am now told (just when I thought I'd done everything!) that I have to complete a Common-Law Statutory Declaration in front of a notary public or any other administrator of oath. I am visiting the UK now but am leaving tomorrow so this new information has me concerned. What does an administrator of oath mean? Apparently we have to have this signed with both of us present but as I am leaving for Canada again not sure if we can get this done together.

thanks for any help!
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:30 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal PR application

You say Spousal PR application in your title but then say Common law in the main text. If you're married you don't need to do the declaration. If it's common-law you need to do it. I'd suspect in the UK you can look up notaries in the phone book just like in Canada...and I'd imagine they'd see you today as it's a quick process and makes them easy money.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 4:18 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by disneyloo
I am finishing all the forms to send off for sponsoring my common law boyfriend to join me in Canada.

I am now told (just when I thought I'd done everything!) that I have to complete a Common-Law Statutory Declaration in front of a notary public or any other administrator of oath. I am visiting the UK now but am leaving tomorrow so this new information has me concerned. What does an administrator of oath mean? Apparently we have to have this signed with both of us present but as I am leaving for Canada again not sure if we can get this done together.

thanks for any help!
Go to a Notary Public, they will witness your signatures, which is what is required.

http://www.thenotariessociety.org.uk/find-a-notary there will be one close by, just call one and go in.

This is the form you need http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM5409E.pdf
Old Jan 8th 2013, 4:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

And just to add to the above, but just checking that you are living together and have done for a year or more without a break?

It's just that you say above that you are wanting your bf to join you in Canada, which sounds like you're not living together at the mo so obviously wouldn't be eligible for common-law unless it's only a very temporary separation i.e. you're on a business trip.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 4:58 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
And just to add to the above, but just checking that you are living together and have done for a year or more without a break?

It's just that you say above that you are wanting your bf to join you in Canada, which sounds like you're not living together at the mo so obviously wouldn't be eligible for common-law unless it's only a very temporary separation i.e. you're on a business trip.
Judging by this post, the answer would be no.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...50&postcount=6
Old Jan 8th 2013, 5:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
Judging by this post, the answer would be no.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...50&postcount=6
Ah. Presumably as the OP refers to common-law in her post she's now realised that conjugal isn't possible as her boyf is from the UK so they could marry or live together at any time.

And they've now lived together for the year required for common-law and any separations have only been temporary and essential.

Fingers crossed anyway!