Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sponsorship and marriage question - HELP

Sponsorship and marriage question - HELP

Old May 28th 2007, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

annemt4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsorship and marriage question - HELP

Hi!
We are getting married in 9 weeks. I'm a Canadian citizen sponsoring my fiance. Got the forms, started to fill them out but haven't done much else with them. We started wondering whether it would be better to apply AFTER we get married as it's only 9 weeks away. Any advise please??
Old May 28th 2007, 11:47 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sponsorship and marriage question - HELP

Do you have marriage certificate? Obviously not as you are not married yet. Thus you cannot start sponsorship process. You need to wait for marriage certificate, sorry.

And please keep in mind that forms and marriage certificate are absolutely not enough to get approved. There is much, much more to prepare and submit if you want to have a case.
Old May 28th 2007, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

The Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really nice

Originally Posted by annemt4
Hi!
We are getting married in 9 weeks. I'm a Canadian citizen sponsoring my fiance. Got the forms, started to fill them out but haven't done much else with them. We started wondering whether it would be better to apply AFTER we get married as it's only 9 weeks away. Any advise please??

Having personally gone through this - I would wait until after you are married. One thing to consider is getting your name changed on all the documentation before you submit - passports, bank details police checks, medicals etc .

We got married 22 Dec 2006 and submitted in 5 March 2007 as it took us that long to get names changed and to gathering all the evidence etc.

Enjoy the rest of the planning for your wedding - you'll have an amazing day
Michala
Old May 28th 2007, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Michala!

I DO realize all that needs to be done (Andrew) and that it is an involved process. I have gone through all the forms thoroughly and have initially gathered everything we need. I do not need to get a medical or have a police check as I'm Canadian so don't have to worry about name changes in that department. I will have to get my passport changed, BC medical, SIN etc. in Canada too. I've only been back in the UK for 2 1/2 years so it'll be just picking up the thread for me but a new venture for my fiance.

We will wait until we are married then before filling out and submitting the forms. It slows us down a bit but not too worried. After initial investigating, I'll have a job to go to and my fiance already has initial discussions going on for him in Kelowna.

Thanks for your kind wishes. We are heading to BC for our honeymoon - CAN'T WAIT
Anne-Marie
Old May 28th 2007, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

anitsirK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Michala!

I DO realize all that needs to be done (Andrew) and that it is an involved process. I have gone through all the forms thoroughly and have initially gathered everything we need. I do not need to get a medical or have a police check as I'm Canadian so don't have to worry about name changes in that department. I will have to get my passport changed, BC medical, SIN etc. in Canada too. I've only been back in the UK for 2 1/2 years so it'll be just picking up the thread for me but a new venture for my fiance.

We will wait until we are married then before filling out and submitting the forms. It slows us down a bit but not too worried. After initial investigating, I'll have a job to go to and my fiance already has initial discussions going on for him in Kelowna.

Thanks for your kind wishes. We are heading to BC for our honeymoon - CAN'T WAIT
Anne-Marie
Don't worry too much about getting your name changes processed before submitting the application. I did get my driver's license, health card, and SIN changed before submitting, but didn't change it on my passport. I used the passport as my ID for the application to sponsor my husband, with my maiden name on it, and got approved to sponsor just fine. I included a cover letter with the application that explained that I hadn't managed to change my name on the passport because of the current delays in passport application processing, due to the new rules regarding passports for flying to the US. Truth is, I didn't bother trying, but they didn't seem to care about the different names between the application and the ID. Just make sure to include your maiden name under "other names used" in the application.

Congratulations (in advance) and good luck!!
Old May 29th 2007, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

The Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really nice

Thanks Michala!

Anne-Marie

Hi again
Didn't realise you were female when I posted so it will be very simple for you guys - we were the other way round - hubby is Canadian! Notice you are in otley - nice part of yorkshire - (I'm from around there orginally) and we are also considering BC as well as AB.

Regards
Michala
Old May 29th 2007, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Hi!
Yes, it should be FAIRLY easy. I know what's to be done at least!
I lived in Toronto for 2 yrs, Vancouver for 6 years and the Okanagan for 18 years and absolutely LOVED LOVED LOVED the weather and people in the OK.! Can't wait to get back. AB is nice too, but I'm a BC girl at heart!
Yes, Otley is wonderful.
Good luck with everything!
Old May 29th 2007, 6:04 pm
I'll have a double double

dozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to all

Hi!
1. Book your medicals....
2. get police check
3. fill in forms
4. get married
5. put it all together with medicals
6. send off to CIC

rgds

john
Old May 30th 2007, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much - nice and concise! I'll proceed in that order!!!