Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sponsor's Canadian passport has expired

Sponsor's Canadian passport has expired

Old Sep 20th 2012, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

rosskilgour is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsor's Canadian passport has expired

Hi

I am about to apply for permanent residency. I am British, my wife is Canadian, and we live in the UK. She has permanent residency here. We are applying with her as my sponsor. We are about to send everything off, but have just noticed that her Canadian passport has just expired.

The sponsor checklist form says that she doesn't need to send her passport, just her birth certificate. The immigrant checklist form says I have to provide copies of my passport and my spouse's passport. My question is, should I send the copy of her passport and get it renewed, so when they come back to question it I can send them the updated, valid passport? Or should I wait and get her passport renewed before submitting?
Old Sep 20th 2012, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsor's Canadian passport has expired

How big of a rush are you in to send in the application and how long will it take to renew her passport?
Old Sep 20th 2012, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

It will take 3 weeks to renew. We're in quite a hurry to get the PR visa, just because it will take 10 months. But I don't want to be rejected either I suppose.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rosskilgour
Hi

I am about to apply for permanent residency. I am British, my wife is Canadian, and we live in the UK. She has permanent residency here. We are applying with her as my sponsor. We are about to send everything off, but have just noticed that her Canadian passport has just expired.

The sponsor checklist form says that she doesn't need to send her passport, just her birth certificate. The immigrant checklist form says I have to provide copies of my passport and my spouse's passport. My question is, should I send the copy of her passport and get it renewed, so when they come back to question it I can send them the updated, valid passport? Or should I wait and get her passport renewed before submitting?
I realized the same thing about my sponsors passport... 2 months after I sent off the application. Was never an issue and was never asked about it. She even got a new one part of the way through and we never updated them with it.

I believe it must only be needed for identification purposes.

Cant guarantee the same will be for you because there is no set guideline for such a thing, but that was my situation.

Also, if you need it soon I believe there is an express option that takes days if you go and do it in person at a service canada location.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Chris that's good to know. We may still get hers updated first just to be safe. Do you know if there is a helpline or help email address where I can check with them? I am in the UK.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

I am also confused about form IMM0008 - generic application form for canada. In question 3 it asks 'how many family members, including you, are in this application?' I am the only one being sponsored, but my spouse (Canadian) is my sponsor. Do I include her? Or is the answer just 'one'?

Plus, on form IMM5481 - sponsorship evaluation, it asks in question 4 'number of family members and persons in undertakings in effect and not yet in effect'? Under the 'yourself' box, I take it we write '1' for my wife. And in the box below, question 5, it says 'current undertaking', I take it we put '1' for me?
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:23 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I am also confused about form IMM0008 - generic application form for canada. In question 3 it asks 'how many family members, including you, are in this application?' I am the only one being sponsored, but my spouse (Canadian) is my sponsor. Do I include her? Or is the answer just 'one'?

Plus, on form IMM5481 - sponsorship evaluation, it asks in question 4 'number of family members and persons in undertakings in effect and not yet in effect'? Under the 'yourself' box, I take it we write '1' for my wife. And in the box below, question 5, it says 'current undertaking', I take it we put '1' for me?
1. The magic no. is one.
2. No, unless the sponsor has sponsored someone, spouse in last 3 years or parents or dependent children in the past 10 the answer is 0
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

The answer is zero for both boxes, or zero for Box 4 or 5?

Thanks
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 4:19 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

The answer is zero for both boxes, or zero for Box 4 or 5?

Thanks
Box 4 =1
Box 5 = 0
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much, very helpful.

I have another question, sorry, hope that's ok.

On form IMM5562, Supplementary Information - Your Travels, you have to list when you've left the UK in the last 10 years. I've done this. In the box below, it asks for your spouse or common law partner. Now my spouse is my Canadian wife who is sponsoring me (but lives with me in the UK at the moment). So do I leave this section blank as she is not 'immigrating' with me? I.e. she is not an applicant for a visa, she is my sponsor?
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 5:28 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

On form IMM5562, Supplementary Information - Your Travels, you have to list when you've left the UK in the last 10 years. I've done this. In the box below, it asks for your spouse or common law partner. Now my spouse is my Canadian wife who is sponsoring me (but lives with me in the UK at the moment). So do I leave this section blank as she is not 'immigrating' with me? I.e. she is not an applicant for a visa, she is my sponsor?
No, use N/A
Old Sep 24th 2012, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

Is this the form in Appendix C? If so, this is the one that states you only need to complete if applying in Paris.....Look on the checklists.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys.

I fear the biggest obstacle is 'proving' that we will relocate to Canada permanently once the visa is granted.

We have to provide evidence of her income, tax returns, etc. But as we've been here in the UK, surely her income doesn't matter as she'll be leaving the job when we relocate, and she doesn't have any Canadian tax returns for the last 5 years! How do we prove she can support me in Canada, and that we will definitely relocate permanently?

I'm thinking:
- printouts of emails and letters from me and my wife to Canadian companies, seeking work
- job applications to Canadian companies
- letters from my wife's family in Canada, stating that they are aware of our plans to relocate once the visa is granted
- letter from my wife's mother, stating that we will live with her once we relocate, and she will provide a roof over our heads and any necessary financial support until we begin working (though I'm not sure if this will help, since she's not my sponsor)
- a letter from our landlord here in the UK, stating that we have made him aware of our plans to move out of our rented flat when the visa is granted in around 10 months' time

Can anyone please advise me if this is the right track? Is there something more we should be doing to ensure my PR is granted?

Thank you for any help you can give.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. The magic no. is one.
2. No, unless the sponsor has sponsored someone, spouse in last 3 years or parents or dependent children in the past 10 the answer is 0
Hi PMM, or anyone else. I'm really confused, can anyone help?

In form IMM 5481 - Sponsorship evaluation, in box 4 we put '1' for my sponsor (wife), right? And in box 5A - current undertaking, it asks: 'number of persons included in box #3 of the Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008), under section Application Details'. Referring to that box on IMM 0008, I have the number '1', as that question is asking 'how many family members, including you, are in this application?'

So surely the answer for box 5A on IMM 5481 is '1'? One sponsor for box 4, one sponsored person for box 5A?

Please can anyone confirm or correct me on this, as I've been given conflicting advice and really don't want to get it wrong!

Thanks guys!