Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sponsoring Wife while on H1B & H4 status

Wikiposts

Sponsoring Wife while on H1B & H4 status

Old Aug 29th 2005, 2:53 am
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough
Question Sponsoring Wife while on H1B & H4 status

Does anyone have experience with sponsoring his wife while he is a Canadian PR working in the US on H1B, and she is on H4 living with him in the US? Any info you can share is appreciated!
Old Aug 29th 2005, 3:23 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sponsoring Wife while on H1B & H4 status

Simply impossible. Canadian PR must live permanently in Canada in order to be eligible to sponsor anyone.

Originally Posted by MJ23
Does anyone have experience with sponsoring his wife while he is a Canadian PR working in the US on H1B, and she is on H4 living with him in the US? Any info you can share is appreciated!
Old Aug 29th 2005, 5:33 am
The ECA Godfather

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Simply impossible. Canadian PR must live permanently in Canada in order to be eligible to sponsor anyone.
How about if you can show that you are living in Canada 4 days of the week, and commuting to the job in Seattle for the rest of the week? I.e. entering and exiting stamps on my passport.

Does it make any sense for me to send a skilled worker application for my wife?
Old Aug 29th 2005, 8:15 am

Are you living in Canada and commuting to work in US? So far you stated that you live with your wife in US.

Commuting every day should be OK, but coming here for weekend (even prolonged one) won't cut.

Move to Canada first, make sure that you can prove living here permanently, not partly.

How about if you can show that you are living in Canada 4 days of the week, and commuting to the job in Seattle for the rest of the week? I.e. entering and exiting stamps on my passport.

Does it make any sense for me to send a skilled worker application for my wife?
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:04 am
The ECA Godfather

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Are you living in Canada and commuting to work in US? So far you stated that you live with your wife in US.

Commuting every day should be OK, but coming here for weekend (even prolonged one) won't cut.

Move to Canada first, make sure that you can prove living here permanently, not partly.
Thanks Andrew,

No I'm not commuting everyday, nor commuting everyday would be pssibile in the future! The best I could do is commute every weekend, but I guess this won't be enough! I have a questions for you:

Let's say I move permanently to Canada a year from now and apply for my wife then, would there be a question of why I waited this long to apply for her? Or this wouldn't be an issue at all?

Thanks again Andrew. If you can think of anyway where I could apply for my wife, and in the same time stay together for atleast 50% of the time, I would really appreciate it! I would also stop asking for your free advice, and hopefully I could hire you because I'm in desperate need to resolve this matter!
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:20 am

No, it won't be an issue at all. You are living with her in US now and it is obvious that you cannot sponsor her and this is why you will start process once in Canada. Nothing wrong with it.

Contact me directly and we'll do some brainstorming.

Thanks Andrew,

No I'm not commuting everyday, nor commuting everyday would be pssibile in the future! The best I could do is commute every weekend, but I guess this won't be enough! I have a questions for you:

Let's say I move permanently to Canada a year from now and apply for my wife then, would there be a question of why I waited this long to apply for her? Or this wouldn't be an issue at all?

Thanks again Andrew. If you can think of anyway where I could apply for my wife, and in the same time stay together for atleast 50% of the time, I would really appreciate it! I would also stop asking for your free advice, and hopefully I could hire you because I'm in desperate need to resolve this matter!