Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

sponsoring my child who was born in the USA

sponsoring my child who was born in the USA

Old Jul 18th 2010, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

elabel76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Which way to go? Please help!

Hello, I have a couple of questions to ask to those with knowledge on the topic of sponsoring children. I appreciate all the input on this, so please bear with me.
To make the long story short: We (myself, my wife, & our child) are landed immigrant in Canada as of 04/2008. We stayed in Canada until January 2009 as we failed to get jobs and spent all the money we had that time (instead I got a job in the USA and moved there). During our stay in the USA we were blessed with another child. I recently got a job offer and planning to re-establish my residency in Canada (as of January, 2010) to start my new job in NL.
Now, what is the best way to get my child back with me in Canada? Can I apply for a visit visa on behalf of my child? Is there anything my future employer can do to facilitate this?
I know that if you are a PR you need to be residing in Canada so you can sponsor someone. The thing is that I do not want to wait until I go there to be able sponsor my child.
Please help.
Thanks

Last edited by elabel76; Jul 18th 2010 at 6:37 pm. Reason: get answers
Old Jul 18th 2010, 7:19 pm
Canadians!!

Jo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to all
Default Re: sponsoring my child who was born in the USA

Your situation is very similar to ours a few years back. Unless things changed recently, you do have to be living in Canada to sponsor your child.

If you want to complete the sponsorship before bringing the baby over, you or your wife would have to move first, and sponsor the baby while the rest of the family stays behind in the US. I don't think that is a very good idea though. The sponsorship process tends to be very smooth and fast, and the baby can come to Canada and stay for 6 months as visitor (with the US passport). She/he should be a PR way before the 6 month period elapses. You will need to buy health insurance though, maybe your employer has a health plan you can put the baby on for the time being?

The only thing that could present any problems during the sponsorship would be if your baby had a serious medical condition. Other than that, it's very straightforward...

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 18th 2010, 7:30 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

You should consider bringing the child to Canada when you move and get temporary residence for it while promising to sponsor it right away. As advised above you cannot sponsor the child unless you are settled in Canada.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:44 am
Just Joined

Exclamation Re: sponsoring my child who was born in the USA

thanks for the input, but I am still confused...Just reading from the CIC website I see that citizens of United States are exempt from temporary residence visas! So how can I apply for that for my daughter?

Jim Humphries, are you suggesting that immigration officers will issue such visa in the airport/border? or should this be obtained form a canadian empassy?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:04 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Just bring the child and explain your situation and that you wish to sponsor your child. The sponsorship application will have to be sent to CPC Mississauga and the PR portion will be done through the visa office in Buffalo.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Just bring the child and explain your situation and that you wish to sponsor your child. The sponsorship application will have to be sent to CPC Mississauga and the PR portion will be done through the visa office in Buffalo.
So what you basically suggest is that I just need to travel with the child and the immigration people in the airport will be ok as long as I tell them that I am going to sponsor my child!?
please elaborate more on this process because I read about stories when immigration officers refused the admission of people in similar situation like mine without propor immigration documents to canada in for all family members.
please advise!
thanks
Old Jul 19th 2010, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jo&Alex
Your situation is very similar to ours a few years back. Unless things changed recently, you do have to be living in Canada to sponsor your child.

If you want to complete the sponsorship before bringing the baby over, you or your wife would have to move first, and sponsor the baby while the rest of the family stays behind in the US. I don't think that is a very good idea though. The sponsorship process tends to be very smooth and fast, and the baby can come to Canada and stay for 6 months as visitor (with the US passport). She/he should be a PR way before the 6 month period elapses. You will need to buy health insurance though, maybe your employer has a health plan you can put the baby on for the time being?

The only thing that could present any problems during the sponsorship would be if your baby had a serious medical condition. Other than that, it's very straightforward...

Hope this helps!
How did you get your situation resolved? what did you do?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:31 pm
Canadians!!

Jo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to all

What we did was: hubby moved to Canada to look for a job while I lived in US with the baby and collected maternity leave benefits. But I must say it was quite stressful for the whole family to be separated, and for me quite depressing to be alone with our first baby! We spent a lot of money flying back and forth to visit...

When we talked with a CIC officer (towards the end of the sponsorship process) she said we did it wrong, according to her we should have just brought the baby to Canada as a visitor and sponsor her from here. No need to split the family. But by then it was almost completed.

By the way, I entered Canada numerous times during this process with the baby, I had my PR card and she didn't, not once did I have any problems at the border. She was always admitted as visitor, I may have been asked once if she was being sponsored yet.

Last edited by Jo&Alex; Jul 19th 2010 at 5:37 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Lightbulb Re: sponsoring my child who was born in the USA

Originally Posted by Jo&Alex
What we did was: hubby moved to Canada to look for a job while I lived in US with the baby and collected maternity leave benefits. But I must say it was quite stressful for the whole family to be separated, and for me quite depressing to be alone with our first baby! We spent a lot of money flying back and forth to visit...

When we talked with a CIC officer (towards the end of the sponsorship process) she said we did it wrong, according to her we should have just brought the baby to Canada as a visitor and sponsor her from here. No need to split the family. But by then it was almost completed.

By the way, I entered Canada numerous times during this process with the baby, I had my PR card and she didn't, not once did I have any problems at the border. She was always admitted as visitor, I may have been asked once if she was being sponsored yet.
Thank you, this is really encouraging- by the way, when was that?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:50 pm

As I said - Canada does not want to separate families without reason. Take the child with you and advise the immigration officer that you will sponsor asap.